With our thoughts we make the world.
Premium Member
join:2006-06-01
Vancouver BC

3 recommendations

Pentangle

Premium Member

[Updated] Free: PDF-XChange Viewer - v2.5.209 - Feb 09/13

The No.1 rated BEST PDF Reader - as voted by Life Hacker Readers by a 2-1 margin for the 2nd year in a row!

Those wishing to View/Modify or perform simple editing and even OCR Image based PDF files on their Windows PC's now have a FREE pdf reader alternative to the Adobe Reader! The PDF-XChange Viewer is smaller, faster and more feature rich than any other FREE PDF Reader/ PDF Viewer/ PDF Editor available. This free pdf viewer download also allows users to try the extended functionality offered by the PDF-XChange Viewer 'PRO' in evaluation mode - for free. No PDF reader or Viewer offers more features than PDF-XChange - or does so without compromising performance and quality, checkout the feature list below and save $100's in unnecessary expenditure on your PDF software today. Also included are the very powerful PDF-XChange Shell Extensions and iFilter.

The licensed PDF-XChange Viewer 'PRO', is a PDF creator in it's own right, allowing users to create PDF files directly from scanners, image files and can even take a .txt or a .rtf file and convert it to PDF or build your PDF document from scratch.

The FREE OCR functionality supports a base language set of English, French, German & Spanish.

Get it HERE.

Version history HERE.
Sentinel
Premium Member
join:2001-02-07
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

Thank you

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay to Pentangle

MVM

to Pentangle
Looks like maybe a contender to replace my Nitro.
b42
join:2013-02-14

b42 to Pentangle

to Pentangle
Thank you

Pentangle
Premium Member
Vancouver BC

Pentangle

Premium Member

You're all very welcome.
Libra
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
USA

Libra to Pentangle

Premium Member

to Pentangle
I have the PDFXchange Viewer version 2.5 (build 199.0). I used the internal updater and it told me there was no update available for the viewer only - I'm up to date?

Sincerely, Libra

Pentangle
Premium Member
Vancouver BC

Pentangle

Premium Member

Build 209 is the most current. Get it here:

»www.tracker-software.com ··· e-viewer
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Pentangle, I see "buy now" or "try this product for free". Is the "try" one the free version?

Also I think I have to remove my current version before installing - I notice on another computer I have an older version, version 2 build 57.0.

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

Pentangle
Premium Member
Vancouver BC

Pentangle

Premium Member

Re: [Updated] Free: PDF-XChange Viewer - v2.5.210 - Feb 25/13

Pick the version you want from the "Download Now, Try this product for free!" column. I usually just install over the top although you may uninstall the older version first if that's your usual practice. There's also a handy manual you can also download. I keep discovering new features of this excellent free product. Current Version is now 2.5.210 (Updated on 25 Feb 2013).
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Thank you Pentangle. Where is the manual you mention? I can't locate it.

Sincerely, Libra

Pentangle
Premium Member
Vancouver BC

Pentangle

Premium Member

It's the second radio button selection, "PDFVManual.zip | 7 MB" ...directly after "ZIP installer (32/64 bit) | 19 MB."
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

I see it. If I download and unzip it, is it the help file and does it become a part of PDF-X-Change viewer? My old versions include the help file (I can't recall how I got it, but I think during the install I selected it - I don't think I had to download it separately.)

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

Pentangle
Premium Member
Vancouver BC

Pentangle

Premium Member

It doesn't become part of the viewer. After I unzip the manual, I copy the pdf file to Tracker Software's directory and then create a link to the manual for easy access. Hope this helps.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

I hope this will be my last question. After you unzip the help file do you right-click on the pdf file and select "send to desktop"?

Thank you for your patience. (The PDF Xchange viewers I have are old but appear to work fine, so I'm trying to decide if I should install the newest one with it's help file.)

Sincerely, Libra

Pentangle
Premium Member
Vancouver BC

Pentangle

Premium Member

The newest versions have lots of features that the older ones don't (like the advanced typewriter functions). After you unzip the manual, place it in the Tracker Software directory. Then right click on your desktop, go to New and create a new shortcut. A dialogue box will open inviting you to browse to the location of the file you want. Browse to Tracker Software in Program Files and select the manual. You then have a shortcut link to the manual on your desktop. Hope this helps you Libra.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Thank you Pentangle. I'm going to make a note of this and it does help me.

Sincerely, Libra