uniqs
share rss forum feed

Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Will not connect to wifi

I finished deploying a 2.4 guest wifi network at a local RV park today.
70db and way better over most of area

This afternoon I get a call from a guest with an iPad and an iPhone that are getting terrible, unusable signal strength.
She was calling from the office which I know has two APs hitting it in the 50-60db range with 6 megs

fwiw
The chip set in my APs are Atheros AR9283
Network Mode is: WPA-PSK
Encryption is: TKIP & AES

Next time I go by there I am going to pull out my MBA
I had it with me today but never occurred to me to give it a whirl

In the mean time, anyone have a clue why those 2 devices didn't want to work on my network?

kitsune

join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA
Might want to check what channels the two APs are broadcasting on.

Liberty

Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Liberty
Continuing to google around, I found this:

Just a quick snipit from the Airport Admin Utility help files:

"WPA and WPA2 have two modes: Enterprise mode, which uses a RADIUS server for user authentication, and Personal mode, which relies on the capabilities of Temporal Key Integrity Protocol (TKIP) for WPA, and AES-CCMP for WPA2..."

I went by the park today and couldn't get my iDevices to connect either
Going to try setting APs to TKIP only...

dliw
Premium
join:2003-03-09
Valhalla
kudos:5
TKIP only would be your solution.

kitsune

Sacramento, CA
reply to Liberty
Just an FYI, TKIP and AES refer to the encryption method not whether you are using a RADIUS server (which is WPA-Enterprise).

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3
reply to Liberty
said by Liberty:

Just a quick snipit from the Airport Admin Utility help files:

What does Airport Utility have to do with it? I thought Airport routers used Broadcom chipsets. Are you using Airport APs?

Are you certain your APs are not broadcasting on both 5GHz and 2.4GHz? There have been reports of iOS devices preferring 5GHz over 2.4 GHz networks even when the signal strength is extremely poor. And it will almost always be a weaker signal indoors because of the shorter wavelength.

Liberty

Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
The Airport Utility doesn't have anything directly to do with this
Other than it mentions AES

I am grabbing at straws trying to figure out why pretty much only 100% of Apple devices are the ones who can not connect - besides some ancient PCs

I have setup quite a few large area wifi networks over the years without major headaches, until this one

This is also my first one using WDS, which allows for fewer encryption options

Manufacture's hosted forum responses say to just use WEP and quit screwing around with WPA solutions
That will be my last resort if all else fails...

kitsune

Sacramento, CA
reply to Liberty
This is the first time you mentioned WDS. Are these access points extending each other wirelessly or are they hard wired? When you connect to the network with your MBA does it connect? If so, option-click the wifi menu. That will show you the extended connection info (PHY Mode, RSSI, etc.). If you are running 10.8 you will also wi-fi diagnostics at the bottom of the menu. That has some reports it can run. The real easter egg though is to create a diagnostic report and after you click on continue, you click on the words "monitor wi-fi performance." That will get you the Network Utilities window and among others is a graph showing your signal and noise in real time.

pbroe

join:2003-01-04
Fargo, ND
reply to Liberty
WEP is useless. Do not use WEP, it is not secure and according to discussions I have read can be broken in under a minute.

Liberty

Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to kitsune
Interesting
APs are repeating, not wired

I am revisiting site this AM and will explore your suggestions

To answer the rest of your questions, yes it 'does connect' sort of
All bars black and asks for Key and thinks about it then goes gray with ! overlayed

I use a utility on my pc called Insidder that gives me a great deal of signal/noise info and am confident with my S/N levels
I believe the problem is with encryption compatibility

I just bought the Insidder app today for my MBA (free for pc) and will use it and your suggestions to see if anymore clues emerge

Liberty

Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to pbroe
We agree with security or lack of with WEP which is why I am reserving it for last ditch option - after I have finished pounding a hole in the the wall with my head...

The park payed me to resolve their guest complaints of poor wifi service, not merely reduce number of complaints

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3
reply to Liberty
You haven't answered whether or not your APs are broadcasting on 5GHz.

Also, you can access the advanced wi-fi diagnostics tools on your MBA by holding OPTION while clicking on the wifi icon, and selecting the Diagnostics from the drop-down menu.

kitsune

Sacramento, CA
reply to Liberty
said by Liberty:

Interesting
APs are repeating, not wired

This may be part of the issue. WDS can cause some odd compatibility issues.

To answer the rest of your questions, yes it 'does connect' sort of
All bars black and asks for Key and thinks about it then goes gray with ! overlayed

So it's connecting but not getting an IP address. You should still be able to see the extended connection information I was was mentioning in that state.

I use a utility on my pc called Insidder that gives me a great deal of signal/noise info and am confident with my S/N levels
I believe the problem is with encryption compatibility

That's great. I wasn't disputing your numbers just offerring a way for you to see the same information on your MBA so you can tell if it's picking up some interference that your PC is not. But I agree, it's probably an encryption or compatibility issue with the WDS.

I just bought the Insidder app today for my MBA (free for pc) and will use it and your suggestions to see if anymore clues emerge

Sounds good. One way you can test if it's the encryption causing the problem would be to turn security off completely. I wouldn't use WEP at all as Mac computers have issues connecting to it and it's supposed to be removed from support by the Wi-Fi alliance soon anyway (too easy to break).

If it still has issues with no security I would check for firmware updates on the APs.

Also, you only mentioned one location at the park that the issue is occurring. Can you connect fine everywhere else?

Liberty

Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Liberty

Re: Will not connect to wifi Solved

The building the internet is in goes thru a router which feeds two normal sector APs, model xyz
And the router also feeds a WDS enabled AP model abc

There are two identical WDS APs in outlying locations
All APs are same brand

Most clients could connect to any/all WDS APs from beginning - all iGizmos and a few reports of MS users not able to pull an IP over strong signal

Lucky for me, today is super beautiful weather and pretty much everyone had pushed away from their computers (hey this is an RV park in Az in winter)
I could nuke the network and experiment with minimal grief

I swapped the encryption settings from Mixed(AES + TKIP) to TKIP only
Bingo! Harmony

I originally set the WDS APs with same encryption settings as the regular APs which always worked for everyone

I understand WDS has baggage but I could not fill the lot due to the layout/foliage restrictions without running out of channels or breaking their budget restrictions - and it works

Thanks for all the suggestions...