uniqs
share rss forum feed

superakcraig

join:2005-03-15
Louisville, KY

1 edit

[Connectivity] Newsgroups - Louisville, KY

Hi Everybody,

So I tried to use our "Insight" newsgroup service last night (and again tonight) and it would appear that I cannot download anything. I thought I had heard at one point that TWC would be disabling this feature. Can anyone confirm that this has happened?

I can still ping the newsgroup servers (netnews.insightbb.com) but I can't connect using my application.

Thanks for your time!
--
Here I Come to Save the Day!!

El_Borracho

join:2004-09-04
Princeton, IN

Re: [Connectivity] Newsgroups

I use the Insight-provided server to read text groups on my tablet and haven't had any problems connecting.

superakcraig

Louisville, KY
reply to superakcraig

Re: [Connectivity] Newsgroups - Louisville, KY

Are those binaries?

El_Borracho

join:2004-09-04
Princeton, IN
reply to superakcraig

Whether binary or text, he connection should be the same. Just to verify, I've set up NewsBin on my desktop for netnews.insightbb.com and all other servers disabled. I'm downloading binaries as I type this reply.

I'm using the standard port of 119, no SSL and no authentication. Perhaps the Louisville area is further along in the TWC assimilation and you're no longer recognized as an Insight customer?

superakcraig

Louisville, KY
reply to superakcraig

Yep...using the same settings here. My thought about the process being further along crossed my mind too. Can anyone in Louisville confirm whether they can still connect to the insight newsgroups?

I guess I may have to look for a pay service for my newsgroup activity.

I feel like I will soon be one with the BORG!
--

Ut98Ex

join:2012-07-11
Simpsonville, KY

Are you sure your settings are correct and that your firewall/router are not blocking? I'm just outside Louisville (Simpsonville) and I can still use Insight usenet just fine (just downloaded some binaries).

By the way, you might want to pay for a service anyways, although its nice to have Insight usenet as a backup service I have always found the retention bad and the connection too slow since they throttle and limit how many connections you can have.

Singular
Premium
join:2008-08-13
Shelbyville, KY
kudos:2

said by Ut98Ex:

Are you sure your settings are correct and that your firewall/router are not blocking? I'm just outside Louisville (Simpsonville) and I can still use Insight usenet just fine (just downloaded some binaries).

By the way, you might want to pay for a service anyways, although its nice to have Insight usenet as a backup service I have always found the retention bad and the connection too slow since they throttle and limit how many connections you can have.

+1 I am a big Giganews Fan. I know it's expensive but it seems to be the best and I live in Simpsonville and I use it with the 50Meg service often and have no problems maxing my connection out.
--
-Singular

superakcraig

Louisville, KY
reply to superakcraig

Hey ut98ex,
No settings have changed for me. I wonder,as I posted in another thread, my 10.0 speed has recently increased to almost 15, which is the standard package at twc. Have you noticed any speed increase?

@singular, I will take that under advisement, I have been looking around at my options, if I choose to go that route (I still have BitTorrent).
--

Ut98Ex

join:2012-07-11
Simpsonville, KY

Yes, definitely within the past month (or maybe even a little while longer) I started to get consistently between 12 and 14.5 down. Before that it was never more than 9.2 down.

The upload is still a slow 800-950Kbs up. I really wished they did something about the uploads. Even in the top tier they only provide 5mbps up.

ARGONAUT
Have a nice day.
Premium
join:2006-01-24
New Albany, IN
kudos:1
reply to superakcraig

Even on the final frontier TWC happens.