uniqs

Gershom 1624
@optonline.net

Gershom 1624 to ThaiGuy

Anon

to ThaiGuy

Re: Help me understand DID's

said by ThaiGuy:

I am a fan of both CC and voip.ms, so my preference would be to use them if possible. Am I correct in thinking that they use different CLEC's thereby giving me the redundancy I require?

Probably a good idea to use different retail VoIP providers but there is no guarantee that they'll use different CLEC's in any given community (rate centre).

Many CLEC's have merged, reducing the choices.

By the way, it seems that Voip.MS uses Vitelity (also called Sixtel or EXGN) for many/most of their US phone numbers (DID) and also tollfree numbers, but surely they use others too.

Local phone numbers (DID's) are provisioned by Local Exchange Carriers (LEC).

The original LEC in a community---essentially the POTS company---is the Incumbent Local Exchange Carrier (ILEC).

In the majority of the US that was covered by the Bell System pre-1984, the ILEC is often called the Regional Bell Operating Company (RBOC or Baby Bell). Seven RBOC were created after the 1984 government breakup, but after lots of re-mergers we are left with Verizon, a resurrected AT&T, and CenturyLink (as successor to the ill-fated USWest RBOC).

Newer competitors that have entered the market are allowed access to a pool of phone numbers, and are allowed to connect to the national network, because the government mandated it. These are Competitive Local Exchange Carriers or CLEC's.

No type of LEC provides 800-type tollfree numbers, because the L in LEC stands for Local, and these are not local.

Rather, toll-free numbers are in a pool run by an organization called SMS/800 that traces back to the former Bell System and then became jointly owned by the RBOC's.

Only certain companies are allowed to access the pool of TF numbers operated by SMS/800.

Those companies are called Responsible Organisations, hence RespOrgs.

So directly or indirectly, any TF number comes from a RespOrg (pronounced "resborg", not to be confused with Starfleet's team assigned to research the borg).

josephf
join:2009-04-26

josephf

It is easy to determine which CLEC your VoSP is using for your DID.

ILEC/RBOCs have always offered toll-free (800) service. Even during the years that they were regulated to providing only Intra-LATA service.

ThaiGuy
join:2008-05-10
Thailand

ThaiGuy to Gershom 1624

to Gershom 1624
Thanks Gershom for that clear overview

In this particular case, I'm not looking for toll free numbers so hopefully that will make things a little easier when trying get DID's from different CLEC's.

I know it's not common, but does anyone know if any DID provider can support SIP INFO?

Gershom 1624
@optonline.net

Gershom 1624

Anon

said by ThaiGuy:

I know it's not common, but does anyone know if any DID provider can support SIP INFO?

FWIW, I just set my Gigaset A580IP phone to use [SIP INFO] exclusively.

I then made some calls on CallCentric, Voip.MS, and CallWithUs.

All the calls went through.

(Interestingly, CC website says they do not currently support SIP INFO.)

------------------------------

Clarification:

In an earlier post on this page, it might have sounded like I was saying that Vitelity is a CLEC.

In fact, while Vitelity is a RespOrg for TF numbers, they are not themselves a CLEC for DID's. Vitelity uses many different CLEC's for their local number supply.
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart

said by Gershom 1624 :

said by ThaiGuy:

FWIW, I just set my Gigaset A580IP phone to use [SIP INFO] exclusively.

I then made some calls on CallCentric, Voip.MS, and CallWithUs.

All the calls went through.

But that's not what the OP is asking. He wants to know whether on an incoming call to his DID, when the caller sends DTMF, the proper SIP INFO request will be sent to his server.

You can't test that with an IP phone, because they are designed to send DTMF, but not receive. However, an ATA supporting SIP INFO should play a DTMF tone in response to incoming requests.

ThaiGuy
join:2008-05-10
Thailand

ThaiGuy

Stewart has correctly pointed out that I forgot to mention my question was in relation to incoming calls. I think it's highly unlikely that SIP INFO will be supported as many think it is unreliable, but it may be worth running some tests - just in case.