spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gershom 1624

@optonline.net

New Ontario area codes

There are new area codes all the time but because so many here are Canadian, and being that the Toronto area has so many millions of people, this is especially noteworthy.

Make way for the 437 in the 416/647.

New area codes are being introduced in the GTA starting March 25 due to increasing demand for telephone numbers, particularly for wireless devices.

In Toronto, where 416 and 647 area codes are used, 437 will be added.

The 905/289 area -- which covers southern Ontario, including Ajax-Pickering, Brampton, Burlington, Hamilton, Markham, Milton, Mississauga, Oakville, Oshawa, Richmond Hill, St. Catharines and Whitby -- will be joined by area code 365.

»cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2013 ··· 711.html

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC
kudos:6

2 recommendations

Not just Ontario, either. Both BC and SK are getting new area codes this summer, too.

fukitol
Solon for President
Premium
join:2001-06-11
PonziWorld
Have the Canucks not heard of number pooling?

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP
join:2008-07-21
kudos:4
437 is an overlay to 416/647 and covers Toronto.

You don't want to repatriate numbers from some rural region to a city like Toronto (If I understand your definition of number pooling). Beside, there's only 30ish area codes for Canada.
--
Martin - VoiP.ms

fukitol
Solon for President
Premium
PonziWorld
I mean number pooling as in allocation of thousands blocks. That is, if a given rate center has an NPA-NXX of 234-567, one provider can be allocated 234-567-1, another can be allocated 234-567-8, and so on. That way, you don't have hundreds of thousands of numbers allocated to BFE, NWT. The U.S. has been pooling its numbers for close to ten years now: »www.nationalpooling.com/
--
The people have always some champion whom they set over them and nurse into greatness. ... This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears he is a protector. - Plato

Gershom 1624

@optonline.net
reply to MartinM
said by MartinM:

You don't want to repatriate numbers from some rural region to a city like Toronto (If I understand your definition of number pooling).

Pooling: Allows the assignment of numbers in blocks of 1,000 rather than requiring all 10,000 numbers to be assigned to the service provider to which an NPA-NXX is assigned.

»www.npac.com/support-resources/p ··· glossary

AFAIK this is a US practice, not a Canadian one.

said by fukitol:

Have the Canucks not heard of number pooling?

Point being? In the US we have been doing number pooling, yet it has not removed the need for new area codes.

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP
reply to fukitol
said by fukitol:

I mean number pooling as in allocation of thousands blocks. That is, if a given rate center has an NPA-NXX of 234-567, one provider can be allocated 234-567-1, another can be allocated 234-567-8, and so on. That way, you don't have hundreds of thousands of numbers allocated to BFE, NWT. The U.S. has been pooling its numbers for close to ten years now: »www.nationalpooling.com/

Sorry but I do not agree. Overlay 437 to 416/647 seems natural and logical to me considering the extreme growth of that area in the last 10 years. It was done properly. Hell, I can't even get 416 numbers anymore. They are a rare commodity. Reminds me of New York 212.
--
Martin - VoiP.ms

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP

1 recommendation

reply to fukitol
There, enjoy if you think it wasn't done properly.

»www.cnac.ca/npa_codes/relief/416 ··· r_12.pdf

All carriers involved are listed.
--
Martin - VoiP.ms

fukitol
Solon for President
Premium
PonziWorld
reply to Gershom 1624
said by Gershom 1624 :

In the US we have been doing number pooling, yet it has not removed the need for new area codes.

But it certainly slows down the need for them.
Expand your moderator at work