share rss forum feed

wowgirl22

join:2011-12-30
Cornelia, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream

Weird SpeedStream 4300 Question

Hi all

I got a strange question...or at least its something I have never seen. I have a SpeedStream 4300 modem. Windstream tech finally got my net fixed a while ago. Its been wonderful after a year of crappy net that its been working fine.

Well a few days ago its been acting weird. Lots of random restarts or my stats are all good but I have no connectivity. But then again there has been a lot of storm damage in the general area (or well at least my state) so we figured that's whats going on. Fixing stuff moving stuff around to work on. Its been nice and stable for the past 24 hours now.

This is the weird part. It just stopped working a few ago, so I gave it a minute to reset itself and figured we would be all good. Well my lights were all working like they should but I had nothing. So I opened up the modem's page on my browser and on the home page, it tells me everything is "NOT TRAINED". In all the years and all the problems I have had with Windstream this is a totally new one on me.

I refreshed the page and it showed my connection summary's after that.

Do I need to get a ticket opened on this? Is this a problem that needs to be looked? Or did I just have bad timing when I opened the page and just happened to catch it while it was resetting?

Any help with this would be great! Thanks

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

said by wowgirl22:

So I opened up the modem's page on my browser and on the home page, it tells me everything is "NOT TRAINED". In all the years and all the problems I have had with Windstream this is a totally new one on me.
I refreshed the page and it showed my connection summary's after that.

Since the dsl signal was found and the modem trained.....
I think that you just happened to open the modems home page while it was resetting.

wowgirl22

Cornelia, GA
reply to wowgirl22

Thank you Wayjac I was thinking that might be what happened, but with the way its been resetting itself I wasn't sure there wasn't a bigger problem that I needed to have looked at.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

When you say the way its been resetting itself
Are you refering to the:

The dsl retraining?
The internet session ending and restarting?
The modem is rebooting?

wowgirl22

Cornelia, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream

Getting a lot of :

"|Link down - LOS
|LCP down
|IPCP down
|State: RESETTING
|State: WAITING
|State: INITIALIZING
"

in my modems system log. It shows where it is re-establishing often. So I don't know whats going on. Though for the past 2 days it seems to have stabilized other then a couple of these. I was a bunch of them now its just a small handful.

Not sure what its doing...but I would say maybe rebooting. I get the red light of death from the dsl light then the whole thing reboots. Some times I have good SNR and ATTEN numbers but its like there is nothing there. I have had to go and reboot it myself to get any connectivity. ATTEN is a stead 34 and the SNR's are bouncing between 14 and 17. Though I have seen them as low as 7 or 8. In which case its a reboot cause I have nothing to work from.

Though with my luck some stupid squirrel went out and chewed a wire and is the cause of all this

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

The messages
|Link down - LOS
|LCP down
|IPCP down

Usually precede a loss of the dsl signal
The LOS is loss of signal

The messages
|State: RESETTING
|State: WAITING
|State: INITIALIZING

Show the loss of the dsl signal and the modem preparing to retrain to the dsl signal.

wowgirl22

Cornelia, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream

Well if it keeps this up I will call or open a ticket about it. It might just be a result of them working on it or just a problem some where else that is effecting me. Guess I will play the wait and see game.

phule

@windstream.net

the 4300 modems are being replaced I had the same trouble and found it was buring out and got a 1704 a newer model of course now im having low speed outages in my area they tell me from 3 pm till 12 midnight internet is so slow i cant load google i may have to switch to a dialup cant be worse then it is now