uniqs

MineCoast
Premium Member
join:2004-10-06
Pensacola, FL

MineCoast

Premium Member

Q6600 Upgrade

I am overall happy with my Q6600 setup, but would like to be able to have more than 8 GB Ram and have a SATA controller that supports drives larger than 2 TB. In addition, my onboard audio is horrible on this motherboard so I am using a Audigy 2 ZS. I had thought about getting a used ASUS Motherboard off eBay and overclock this sucker to get a tad bit more life out of it, but I am wondering, is it really worth spending $100+ on a used motherboard just so I can overclock this sucker. In addition, I am running Windows 8 and driver support is very limited.

I'm on a limited budget, but I am playing around with the idea of perhaps buying a AMD FX-8350 for $179 and buying either a Gigabyte 990FX or AsRock 990FX Motherboard and ordering no less than 16 GB Ram.

I only do some light gaming so I am not concerned about that. I do video editing, vmware virtual machines, unzipping/unraring of files, etc. According to passmark (cpubenchmark.net) the FX-8350 has a rating of over 9100, my current Q6600 has a rating of 2900, so I figure I would see a drastic upgrade. My mom has a i7-2400k which has a rating around 7900 I believe, so I would assume this FX-8350 would be faster than her system.

Simply Put... I'd love to have an Intel i7-3770k, but at $319 or whatever it is, it is far out of my budget and it seems like perhaps I can get some decent performance from the FX-8350.

The 8350 also uses the new piledriver core instead of the bulldozer core which from my understand was a horrible CPU.

Anyway.... suggestions? Already have a case, power supply (620 w) and hard drives and a 660 GT OC card.

Gordo74
Premium Member
join:2003-10-28
Pittsburgh, PA

Gordo74

Premium Member

What is your budget for this? Intel really is the value winner in most of the categories you are talking about.

MineCoast
Premium Member
join:2004-10-06
Pensacola, FL

MineCoast

Premium Member

said by Gordo74:

What is your budget for this? Intel really is the value winner in most of the categories you are talking about.

All I need is motherboard, memory, and cpu... so I'm looking as low as possible, like $300-$500.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

$220 for an i5, $100 for a motherboard thats $320, spend however much else you want on ram.

Gordo74
Premium Member
join:2003-10-28
Pittsburgh, PA

Gordo74 to MineCoast

Premium Member

to MineCoast
Click for full size
Personally, with your budget, here is what I would do:

You would TRULY benefit from the i7 based on your uses. This is EXACTLY what it is built for (editing, VM, the like).

The motherboard can support up to 8GB of RAM per slot. If you want to start with 16GB (2x8GB), it would be $80 for RAM rather than $40