spc
Search similar:

uniqs
LastDon
join:2002-08-13

1 edit

LastDon

modem or router to handle pppoe?

I've always wondered what some people do..

Usually I would let my router handle the dial in and use the modem as a bridge..

what do you guys suggest?

I guess if your modem has stats it would be best to run the modem as a router and the router as a dhcp?

Right now i am using a DLink-520B and a Asus Rt-n66

With my current setup though using the router as the pppoe dial in... should have modem have the firewall enabled or the modem?!

If i let the modem do the dialing in... to avoid double NAT'ing , I would plug the modem rj45 to the wan port of the router.. and than set the router up using DHCP?
then the router would hand out the ip addresses no?

what do you guys / gals recommend?

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020

Premium Member

I've always done PPPoE on my router. I prefer the modem to be a dumb device and all configuration in one place.

Other DSL setups that I have done for friends or family have been done in the same respect.

Your description of the setup with modem handling PPPoE sounds correct to me in theory, but I haven't actually set it up a network that way.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to LastDon

MVM

to LastDon
It depends on your usage. For basic usage (like my parents), no need for a router, just complicates things. For advanced usage, a dedicated router might be required. The modems usually do a decent enough job for basic usage, but they don't always have that much RAM or that fast of a CPU, and that's when a beefy router can be useful.
LastDon
join:2002-08-13

LastDon

Well ...

I already have the devices mentioned ..

but I don't know what is best method of handling the PPPoE

I have 2 Desktops and 3 laptops all connected ..

If i allow the Dlink to get the PPPoE and the router DHCP?

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to LastDon

MVM

to LastDon
There's not much point in that. Pick one and have it do everything.
zorxd
join:2010-02-05
Quebec, QC

zorxd to LastDon

to LastDon
If your router is better than your modem (ie has Wifi, gigabit, more features or is more powerful): only use your modem as a dumb modem and do everything else (PPPoE, NAT, routing, DHCP) on your router.

If you have a crappy router and your DSL modem is already Wifi then don't use your router at all, or use it as a dumb ethernet switch if you need more ports.