uniqs
share rss forum feed

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3

[RI] Latest/Best DVR?

Mod feel free to remove if off topic, but I have seen cable questions here before so thought it was worth a shot.

My friend is having some unusual DVR issue that makes me think its hardware. Issues such as random turning off, but not rebooting, not turning off when pressing the power button, randomly seeing only half the screen, etc. It appears to be one of the older DCT6412, so if nothing else I want her to have one with the 160GB HD. The problem is her TV has DVI-D and not HDMI. What is the latest/best DVR model for RI? I have a DCX3400 and I think its great. Any known issues going HDMI > DVI-D with a standard adapter with that model? Or is there anything newer? DCX3510-M? To be clear, I'm looking for model advice, not troubleshooting assistance. Thanks!

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

1 edit

I don't think Cox has the new Motorola dvr's because they are using Cisco for whole home dvr everywhere. Best option go to a service center and ask.

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3

Fair enough, but I want to go to the service center with a little knowledge in my pocket. I know some models, and even firmware versions of certain models, had broader compatibility with HDCP over the HDMI. I thought maybe that DVI-D has similar quirks with certain boxes. Also, I am wondering if I should try looking for a older (but working) box with DVI-D, or will a DVI-D > HDMI wire work just as well with the newer box? Or even general personal preference. Any input would be helpful.

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

1 edit

I don't think any of the new motorola dvr's have dvi out. if they have an HD TV they will not get the plus pack with the motorola.