Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Maven
Premium
join:2002-03-12
Canada
reply to signmeuptoo

Re: [WIN8] What software for getting start menu back?

said by signmeuptoo:

I am trying to get used to metro, one thing I don't like is that I have to go back to the metro page and log out, and wait, and then shut down/restart

That's not necessary. While on the desktop, traditional app, or the start screen itself, bring your cursor to the bottom or top right of the screen. Click on settings, power, shutdown/restart.

I don't know what made you think you had to log out prior to shutting down, that simply isn't the case.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
Ah, I see it. They hid it, under settings? Not where I'd put it, it should be on its own.

I understand there is a way to use the power button of my computer, too?

Maven
Premium
join:2002-03-12
Canada
Yes, in advanced power options you can change the behaviour of the power button.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
kudos:2
reply to signmeuptoo
All the Start Menu functionality is built into the Windows 8 desktop:

*Right click on the mini Start screen on the bottom left of the desktop (small pic)
*Add the desktop toolbar to the taskbar, then left click on the double arrows to view all desktop shortcuts, and some system items
--
Logic requires one to deal with decisions that one's ego will not permit.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
Slick.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
reply to digitalfutur
Yes, that is Quickstart in Win 8 which I linked to in my post. It doesn't work as well as Quickstart on XP. Sometimes it is extremely sluggish and takes over a minute to load while other times it loads instantly. It automatically sticks everything under the sun in Quickstart. I prefer the XP way where you have to drag and drop what you want in Quickstart.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to digitalfutur
Slick.

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
reply to SoonerAl
said by SoonerAl:

My wife likes the older classic interface while I tend to use the new modern UI (aka Metro) interface.

It's not "modern" just because Microsoft says so.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to signmeuptoo
ClassicShell (freeware) - »www.classicshell.net

Keep in mind that on Win8, 'shutdown' then 'power-up' is NOT the same as 'restart'.

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
kudos:1
reply to signmeuptoo
WINDOWS 8? Uinstall quickly go back to 7.

lorennerol
Premium
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA
reply to Bob4
said by Bob4:

Keep in mind that on Win8, 'shutdown' then 'power-up' is NOT the same as 'restart'.

+1

Another case of thinking they know better what the user wants than the user. Stevie B., if I want my laptop to sleep, I'll tell it to do that. And when I say Shut Down, I mean OFF.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
said by lorennerol:

said by Bob4:

+1

Another case of thinking they know better what the user wants than the user. Stevie B., if I want my laptop to sleep, I'll tell it to do that. And when I say Shut Down, I mean OFF.

And you, the user, can disable hybrid sleep in about 10 seconds. So YOU CAN DO THIS. Really. It's not hard.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

lorennerol
Premium
Seattle, WA
said by JohnInSJ:

And you, the user, can disable hybrid sleep in about 10 seconds. So YOU CAN DO THIS. Really. It's not hard.

And what percentage of users do you think will ever know this is possible, much less be able to figure it out? And why make something like this the default in the first place? Off is off. If you want 'hybrid sleep' then make it an option on the shut down menu.

My point is that it's another instance of MS thinking they know better what people want than people do themselves. Steve Jobs had a knack for this. Microsoft thinks they do, but they do not.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
The % of users who micro-manage their systems will do it. The majority who want faster startup times won't.

Your point is that it doesn't work for you. Your misconception is that you represent the majority of Windows users. Microsoft does listen to its users. It makes changes based on what most of them want.

Now, clearly that's not you, or me, or even the majority of the 1/10000 of a % of windows users who post regularly to DSLR. For us, we need to change the setting. So we do, and move on.
--

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
said by JohnInSJ:

Microsoft does listen to its users. It makes changes based on what most of them want.

While that is most certainly true for some extent, I'm willing to bet a rather large sum of money that the radical UI change in WIn8 wasn't driven by user request.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

The majority who want faster startup times won't.

I always thought that's what 'sleep' was for.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
said by Bob4:

said by JohnInSJ:

The majority who want faster startup times won't.

I always thought that's what 'sleep' was for.

Yep, and you and me and about 10 other people know that, and used it before Win8.
--

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

said by JohnInSJ:

Microsoft does listen to its users. It makes changes based on what most of them want.

While that is most certainly true for some extent, I'm willing to bet a rather large sum of money that the radical UI change in WIn8 wasn't driven by user request.

We're not talking about the UI change, we are talking about the Win8 OS level hybrid sleep change.

The UI change is driven by touch, tablet, and a unified development model for devices across all platform sizes. In other words, it's trying to position microsoft to not be irrelevant in about 5 years. Which they will be if they don't drag their dwindling user base into the 21st century. Kicking and screaming, if necessary.
--

lorennerol
Premium
Seattle, WA
reply to signmeuptoo
Yes, I'm certain that most users were quite concerned about the Start button cluttering up their desktops and how unuseful it was. Please, please remove this annoying, useless part of Windows and whatever you do, don't leave me a way to add it back.

I've already heard, multiple times, "I did restart my computer". Sorry, if you're running Win8 and you chose "Restart", you didn't actually restart your computer. And as this is both the first troubleshooting step and fixes many transient issues, how does making restart not actually restart help people?

"I want it to be faster" seems to have been misinterpreted as "Make it do something other than what I told it to do in order to fool me into thinking it's faster."

They are not the same thing.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
Ok, we disagree.

Note, however, that RESTART does restart the PC. Shutdown/Start does not.

So your example isn't very accurate.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

Based on what I've seen in the latest offerings of Microsoft, it seems that this stopped being the case after Bill Gates stepped away from the company and is instead making changes based on what it wants to force its users to use.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
That's my impression too. At that point they began removing useful features and radically moving products in directions, that the company considered was better for their bottom line, ignoring what the users actually needed in the process. The first steps in that direction we saw in Vista and then in Office, where users were forced to accept ribbon (despite of the massive feedback, asking for an option there). The pure marketing ruling of the company has been started...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

said by JohnInSJ:

Based on what I've seen in the latest offerings of Microsoft, it seems that this stopped being the case after Bill Gates stepped away from the company and is instead making changes based on what it wants to force its users to use.

You're failing to consider the customers it is losing to other systems which don't look like Windows/Office from 10 years ago. The installed base is always the bane of progress.
--

Kerodo

join:2004-05-08
said by JohnInSJ:

said by urbanriot:

said by JohnInSJ:

You're failing to consider the customers it is losing to other systems which don't look like Windows/Office from 10 years ago. The installed base is always the bane of progress.

Sorry, but there is no way that one can consider any of this as "progress"...

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
said by Kerodo:

Sorrym, but there is no way that one can consider any of this as "progress"...

Sure one can - if they're willing to let go of some old stuff, and learn new stuff. It's really not that radical a change.

A common misconception on the Internet: I don't like X means no one likes X.
--

Kerodo

said by JohnInSJ:

said by Kerodo:

Sorrym, but there is no way that one can consider any of this as "progress"...

Sure one can - if they're willing to let go of some old stuff, and learn new stuff. It's really not that radical a change.

A common misconception on the Internet: I don't like X means no one likes X.

For me, progress implies improvement. Based on general user reaction to 8 and all that goes with it, I'd say that many don't find much improvement or progress there.

I'm sure MS defines progress as movement towards a goal, and I have no doubt they have their goals with 8. But that doesn't necessarily coincide with what the public wants or needs...

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
said by Kerodo:

But that doesn't necessarily coincide with what some of the public wants or needs...

This.
--

Kerodo

said by JohnInSJ:

said by Kerodo:

But that doesn't necessarily coincide with what some of the public wants or needs...

This.

I realize that we just disagree here, but all I would say is, just take a poll and ask users everywhere if they do or don't like 8. I would be willing to bet that the vast majority DON'T like it...

But I'm sure you will disagree..

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
said by Kerodo:

I realize that we just disagree here, but all I would say is, just take a poll and ask users everywhere if they do or don't like 8. I would be willing to bet that the vast majority DON'T like it...

Well, I'm one person that does like Windows 8. You can read more about my experience here

»[WIN8] Well I finally made the jump to Windows 8

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to Kerodo
said by Kerodo:

said by JohnInSJ:

said by Kerodo:

This.

If the poll were of DSLR users or Apple bloggers, no - I agree totally you're right.

You really have no way of knowing what the "vast majority" like or don't like. Neither do I. The error is always in making assumptions.
--