spc
uniqs
jamesonnorth
join:2012-12-22
Modoc, IN

jamesonnorth to sidearm1

to sidearm1

Re: [DSL] Internet Connectivity issues

There's no reason a DSL line they actually install should have that many errors or that low of margins. I'll be surprised if you can stay synced at 2.5dB margin for the DL. I've never known a DSL connection to be REALLY stable unless it's above 10dB on both up and down. Mine is around 20-25, but I also have attenuation of less than 20 and I can see my CO. I'd have them look more into the lines. Go from box to box along the road and find out where there's a problem. My friend had a second DSL line installed and he was connecting at 128/64 or something similar, and after Frontier went box to box redoing connections, his connection is stable with over 10dB margin and syncing at 5500/860.

You might want to see if they can get you down to 1.5mb/384kb and redo the Frontier-side exposed copper in your NID. Otherwise it could be a lot of work for them. Whatever you do, insist that they keep working until the line is stable and syncing at least 4mb/600kb. You should be able to do a 5mb/768kb without a problem if they get the margins under control.
sidearm1
join:2012-12-01

sidearm1

said by jamesonnorth:

You should be able to do a 5mb/768kb without a problem if they get the margins under control.

We had those speeds for 3 days and was completely stable. That's my issue where did that go. were just over 2 miles from our Dslam so there is the distance but I still believe if the lines are solid we should be able to get that speed and stably again right? Now I feel like were throttled to a stable connection with the conditions that we have what that is I don't know.
jamesonnorth
join:2012-12-22
Modoc, IN

jamesonnorth

Just as a simple reply, yes you should be able to do those speeds on a good line. Longer lines typically use thicker copper so you should be able to achieve higher sync speeds. My friend has a longer line than you (about 2.5 miles maybe closer to 3) and we got it to sync at 7mbps for a few minutes before seeing problems. We got real world 6.3mbps download speeds on a line with 10dB margins and 51 attenuation.

If they try to leave you syncing at any less than 3mbps/512kbps, they're just being lazy, and if it's at 1.5mbps/384kbps or lower they should be replacing some lines at your distance from the CO or installing a remote.