share rss forum feed

Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
kudos:4
Reviews:
·CableOne

XP computer doesn't recognize HD with W7 installed

An older XP computer won't recognize a hard drive upon which W7 was installed.

Newer computers with W7 and W8 installed will recognize that physical hard drive.

The drive is a plain vanilla 120GB IDE hard drive. It's not seen by the XP operating system and not even seen in the bios of the old XP computer (an Intel i845 motherboard).

The plan was to move the 120GB IDE hard drive to the XP box and use it for data storage, but no can do as it's not recognized on that platform.

Any ideas why not?

Do W7 and W8 format hard drives with a different version of the ntfs than XP uses? Would that even matter in terms bios recognition of drives?

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8

If it's not seen by the BIOS then it's not a file system or operating system problem.

If it's IDE, you might need to check the jumpering.

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

I agree with the jumpers.. however some hard drives need to be installed with the software from Seagate or Western Digital to install an overlay to overcome some BIOS limitations as well.

The limit drive capacity jumper settings for Seagate / Maxtor: »knowledge.seagate.com/articles/e···196299en

The settings for Western Digital: »wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/det···TFFpbA==
-Select the two pin settings depending on master or slave..

Note: you would have to install the overlay program to access the full capacity of the drive.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8

The size is worth checking, of course, but I'd guess his motherboard should be good for up to 128GB.