spc
Search similar:

uniqs

routerfees
@optonline.net

routerfees to obeythelaw

Anon

to obeythelaw

Re: [iO] optimum refuses to open new account?

Never heard of any fees associated with the netgear router.

BK Man
@optonline.net

BK Man to TheWiseGuy

Anon

to TheWiseGuy
The most likely reason Cablevision is requiring proof of address is that they have been burned at the address in the past. There are outstanding balances or unreturned equipment associated with the apartment. Cablevision accounts are attached to the address not the customer so the account may be flagged until they are sure the resident isn't just creating a new customer to avoid old balances.

FallenAnjel
join:2011-04-07
East Cupcake

FallenAnjel to obeythelaw

to obeythelaw
I never understood why someone would get a router from a cable company.

How much was the fee for the router? You can buy a basic router for less than $30, most all of them are plug/play, I had my Netgear set up in less than 3 minutes. If your "fee" is $3, in one year you'd have paid enough money to get better router than "basic".

Bring the router back to cablevision and get your own.

What does your sister do online that she needs boost? If she's just doing email/facebook and maybe a pogo game now and again, get rid of the boost to save another $10

JMHO

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa

Premium Member

said by FallenAnjel:

How much was the fee for the router? You can buy a basic router for less than $30, most all of them are plug/play, I had my Netgear set up in less than 3 minutes. If your "fee" is $3, in one year you'd have paid enough money to get better router than "basic".

The fee is $0 additional to the regular fee.
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to FallenAnjel

to FallenAnjel
said by FallenAnjel:

Its free
They setup and support it
Enough said

This is great for most customers who can't even connect a cable box

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to obeythelaw

Premium Member

to obeythelaw
Wait, what happened to the proof of address issue? How was that resolved?

obeythelaw
Premium Member
join:2003-04-16
Warren, NJ

1 recommendation

obeythelaw

Premium Member

I had given my sister a written lease agreement. I wasn't adverse to doing it. Can just go on the computer and put the information in but they were adamant. I also checked and they are not charging for the router.

aztr0
join:2007-10-28
Brooklyn, NY

aztr0 to obeythelaw

to obeythelaw
Who goes to the store to open cable? No, seriously. Who does that? Anyways, never had an issue just calling. No bill checks nothing. Actually there was, I had to provide an old bill statement from a competitor so that I can get on a promo... but they gladly opened the account for me regardless, just that I won't be eligible for the promo if I didn't have a competitor's bill.
traveler122
join:2011-05-30
Hopatcong, NJ

traveler122 to obeythelaw

to obeythelaw
said by obeythelaw:

I had given my sister a written lease agreement. I wasn't adverse to doing it. Can just go on the computer and put the information in but they were adamant. I also checked and they are not charging for the router.

There’s a very simple solution to this problem, and you shouldn’t wait another day to use it. Strongly suggest filing a complaint with the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities. You can find their web site at:

»www.bpu.state.nj.us/

Navigate to the “complaints” section and you have your choice of filing one electronically or by US mail.

Also suggest that you or your sister draft a very short simple complaint stating that Cablevision has deliberately violated their public tariff terms by refusing to establish new service for cable TV service, and that they may have discriminated against your sister in violation of the law. No need for any history about the previous tenant, that’s not relevant to your complaint (to file it). Also, the electronic complaint system does not permit very long text field, so it’s a strong incentive to keep it short and to the point.

When you’re ready to file, your sister needs to file it in her name (since she’s the customer being denied service), and the complaint should request that Cablevision be ordered to establish service, per published tariff, IMMEDIATELY. Then take it from there.

This solution always works (most of my BPU complaints were resolved after I got them served on CV by the NJ-BPU, after CV employees previously refused). However, note that although the BPU regulates CV, they do NOT regulate OOL. You can force CV to establish cable TV service, but you can’t force them to turn on OOL after the cable TV is installed (checkmate .

BTW, don’t plan on doing anything else other than what you’d do for any other utility when starting new service where they might not know you yet. But if the other utilities give your sister the same run-around (because of the former tenant), use this same procedure on them, too. NJ-BPU regulates all public utilities, with the exception of some water authorities in some parts of NJ.

obeythelaw
Premium Member
join:2003-04-16
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw

Premium Member

Not a bad idea. I wonder if they would do anything further since the issue is now moot? I wouldn't mind busting Cablevision's chops, however.