Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rob1

join:2013-02-13

[Voip.ms] VOIP.MS and OBI100 - Proper dial string

Hello all,

Just switched from a Linksys PAPT2 to a Obi100.

The default dial script for the Obi100 would not allow me to dial *97 for VOIP.MS voice mail - so after a bit of reading on the forums I found some additional info.

I also want to ensure I can dial 911 as from what I understand the default dial script did not allow.

Can someone in "the know" have a look at this and ensure I'm covered for 911 - BTW - *97 works now with addition at the end and it suppose to cover 911 as well.

(1xxxxxxxxxx|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.[3468]11|911S0|822|*xx|*xx.)

Thanks in advance

MZB

join:2010-11-25
Dunrobin, ON
It will work for 911. You might notice that it takes a long time to react to certain numbers, however, as the Obi doesn't know if you are going to type *97 or *971 and has to wait for a timeout.

For comparison, here's my ITSP A DigitMap for voip.ms which supports a few more of voip.ms' features:

- 613xxxxxxx - no 1 required for local numbers
- 044[1-2]xxxxxxxxx - force premium routing for UK landline numbers (cheaper)
- 011xx. 033xx. 044xx. - international with forced premium/value routing
- *75xx - voip.ms speed dials
- *97 *98 various voice mail options
- *225 - balance inquiry
- 4443 - echo
- 068. - check IVR recordings
- 10x - extension dialing
- (Mipd) - IP dialing (only if you have a user digit map of this name and and want IP dialing)
- (Msip) - only if you have a user digit map of this name (I have a SIP URI for screaming monkeys on speed dial)

Note that I don't have 911 / 311 in my map as I use POTS for that, so be careful if copy and pasting.

Note that the obihai forums at http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?board=4.0 are useful if you have configuration issues.

rob1

Cheers...

fparker

join:2008-04-28
Scarborough, ON
reply to rob1
what does the |822| entry in the dial plan do?

MZB

Dunrobin, ON
reply to MZB
said by MZB:

For comparison, here's my ITSP A DigitMap for voip.ms which supports a few more of voip.ms' features:

Note that some of my explanations got a little mangled as they looked too much like HTML. Refer to the dial string for the correct syntax. Gets me every time.

Stewart

join:2005-07-13
kudos:30
reply to MZB
said by MZB:

It will work for 911. You might notice that it takes a long time to react to certain numbers, however, as the Obi doesn't know if you are going to type *97 or *971 and has to wait for a timeout.

- <:1>613xxxxxxx - no 1 required for local numbers
- 0<11:44>44[1-2]xxxxxxxxx - force premium routing for UK landline numbers (cheaper)
- 011xx. 033xx. 044xx. - international with forced premium/value routing
- *75xx - voip.ms speed dials
- *97 *98 various voice mail options
- *225 - balance inquiry
- 4443 - echo
- 068. - check IVR recordings
- 10x - extension dialing
- (Mipd) - IP dialing (only if you have a user digit map of this name and and want IP dialing)
- (Msip) - only if you have a user digit map of this name (I have a SIP URI for screaming monkeys on speed dial)

Note that I don't have 911 / 311 in my map as I use POTS for that, so be careful if copy and pasting.

Note that the obihai forums at http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?board=4.0 are useful if you have configuration issues.

When posting dial strings not in a code block, replace all the < characters with &lt; and it will display correctly.

rob1

Thanks guys - so can anyone suggest a way to speed up my dial script?

All works but sometimes take a few secs longer to dial.

Cheers

SCADAGeo

join:2012-11-08
N California
kudos:2
said by rob1:

Thanks guys - so can anyone suggest a way to speed up my dial script?

All works but sometimes take a few secs longer to dial.

Cheers

Not the script, but you may be able to shave a few seconds off by pressing '#' after dialing a number.

zapattack

join:2012-07-02
CANADA
reply to rob1
613xxxxxxxS0 Short timeout = 0 seconds because you will never dial more than a 10 digit number.

*75xxS0 - speed dials never more than 4 digits so process immediately.
10xS0 - assuming all extensions are single digit.

044[1-2]xxxxxxxxx.S2 - If 9 or more digits this allows 2 seconds for more digits before processing. (Otherwise reduce number of x's.)

rob1

zapattack,

Thanks - still green so can you please that in a full dial script? And will 911 work correctly (main concern)?

Cheers

MZB

Dunrobin, ON
reply to zapattack
@zapattack - note that you only need to use S0 if more than one rule matches. If only a single rule matches in its entirety and no more digits are expected by that rule, it's not needed.

So in the above the 0<11:4>[1-2]xxxxxxxxxx rule would benefit from an S0 (good catch), but the others would not.

The default rules for the Obi tend to use things like xx.|*xx. to allow through everything (which I don't) which causes the delay.

@rob1 - Assuming you don't dial the UK often, dial IP addresses, or call SIP URIs, , but do dial 911/311, the complete script would be:

If you're nervous about the 911 set up, you will have to try a test call (at a non-peak time). Stay on the line (don't hang up immediately), and apologize for a mis-dial. Alternatively, if you have services local government services on 311, try them instead as it uses the same rule.

Don't forget to change the 613 to your local area code. (I'm assuming you are in North American).

The S0 is currently unnecessary after [2-9]11, but I would put it there in case the dial plan gets changed at some later date.

Best tactic I've found is to edit the script in Notepad, then paste it into the Obi interface.

zapattack

CANADA
Yes, exact matches are processed differently, and I agree with your 911S0 recommendation.
But 613xxxxxxx is not an exact digit match and so is subject to a delay while the Obi does a full Digit Map scan for the 7 extra digits. 6135551212 would be processed quicker as an exact digit match. 613xxxxxxxS0 tells to Obi to stop checking individual x's and proceed to the next step when the number of digits hits 10.
All non-exact open-ended matches can benefit from a timeout.
033xx. for example is not exact and will have the long timeout, and will benefit from an S2.
|011xx.|033xx.|044xx.| |068.|
could be
|011xx.S2|033xx.S2|044xx.S2| |068.S2|
This is because the (.) changes the timeout to long.
Editing in Notepad is a good way to check for missing syntax: usually (, {, [, are in pairs, but | may not be. These errors can send the Obi into a busy loop from which there is no recovery except a power down.

rob1

reply to MZB
MZB - But it will dial the UK - correct?

My wife does call Scotland every few months......

Cheers

MZB

Dunrobin, ON
said by rob1:

MZB - But it will dial the UK - correct?

Yes - I just removed the original special treatment which automatically forced premium routing for calls to UK landlines. (They are marginally cheaper than value routing)

MZB

Dunrobin, ON
reply to zapattack
said by zapattack:

All non-exact open-ended matches can benefit from a timeout.

You are quite correct - and you have saved me about 10 seconds a day of wating fro calls to complete :) I had confused the Linksys/Cisco/Sipura documentation with the Obi documentation: the Linksys digit maps complete when the pattern is completely matched, but the Obi waits for another short inter-digit timeout even if there is only one rule and it is exactly matched.

Not sure why Obi do this. Perhaps so I can dial a mismatched number.

So now my suggested Digit Map now looks like:

Change 613 to your local area code (or add more similar rules if you have more than one local area code).

(I also fixed a missing x in the 068 code for listening to recordings.)

zapattack

CANADA
That '10 seconds' is more of a psychological thing. The PSTN is almost instantaneous compared to the Obi, so the 'dead air' can be annoying to some. Obi 110 users can try the Line Port OutboundCallConfirmTone for a truly painful time-delaying experience.
My goal is to make the Obi LESS obvious. LinkSys plans are nicer that way. One plan, read once.
One question: are you sure that |044[1-2]xxxxxxxxxS0|calls are always 9 digits?
I suggested xxxxxxx.S2 for some flexibility.

fparker

join:2008-04-28
Scarborough, ON
reply to rob1
what's the difference between this: 613xxxxxxx and this: 613xxxxxxx in the OBI dial plan?
I'm not sure which one adds the '1' to the 10 digit phone number.

thanks

Stewart

join:2005-07-13
kudos:30
said by fparker:

what's the difference between this: <:1>613xxxxxxx and this: <1>613xxxxxxx in the OBI dial plan?
I'm not sure which one adds the '1' to the 10 digit phone number.

thanks

The general syntax is <match:replacement>, but if the colon is absent, the match field is taken as empty and the value is used as the replacement, i.e. the value is prepended to the following number (if it matches). The net result is that your examples both do the same thing -- add a 1 in front of a ten-digit number starting with 613.

MZB

Dunrobin, ON
reply to zapattack
said by zapattack:

|044[1-2]xxxxxxxxxS0|calls are always 9 digits?
I suggested xxxxxxx.S2 for some flexibility.

You are correct. (At the time of writing the original rule I was only concerned with UK numbers in my address book and avoiding premium rate calls to mobile phones.) There are still a few numbers which are only 9 digits, although most are 10.

This makes the suggested rule now:

For completeness, this assumes 613 is your North American area code and that user defined message map "sip" is:

This is necessary so that I can put SP1(***222@sip.voip.ms) in one of the speed dials ;)

Incidentally, the best source of UK number formats I know of is here:
http://www.aa-asterisk.org.uk/index.php/Number_format#9_digit_NSNs

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
said by MZB:

map "sip" is:

This is necessary so that I can put SP1(***222@sip.voip.ms) in one of the speed dials ;)

I'm sorry for potentially stupid question, but... Doesn't [^*] mean any character, except '*'? If so, how do you speed-dial SP1(***222@sip.voip.ms) with this DigitMap?

--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

meskinct
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium
join:2002-01-07
Southbury, CT
Reviews:
·Charter

3 edits
reply to rob1

Re: [Voip.ms] PAPT2 Dial Plan

Hey all - I've been reading this thread looking to tweak my PAPT2 dial plan. Can you experts please give your opinion of this

I tried dialing *225 for my VOIP.ms balance and get a fast busy. Same for 411. Now I'm worried 911 won't work as well.

Appreciate any tips you can provide.

Thanks.

--
Rich. My Website

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP
join:2008-07-21
kudos:4

Re: [Voip.ms] VOIP.MS and OBI100 - Proper dial string

I would add 911S0 at the beginning.

For peace of mind, call 911 and in the first seconds you must say that it's just a test and that you're sorry you were just testing and apologize. Do not hangup when someone answers. It's not recommended to call 911 for testing but it's better than having your dial plan fails during an emergency.

Edit: Also, make sure you setup your Default 911 CallerID in Settings -> General, in case you have improper CallerID configuration when calling 911.

--
Martin - VoiP.ms

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC
kudos:6
said by MartinM:

I would add 911S0 at the beginning.

For peace of mind, call 911 and in the first seconds you must say that it's just a test and that you're sorry you were just testing and apologize. Do not hangup when someone answers. It's not recommended to call 911 for testing but it's better than having your dial plan fails during an emergency.

I've always been a fan of putting [2-9]11S0 in the dial plan, then to test just dial 211 or 811 for some city/provincial non-emergency services that won't tie up emergency services for a simple test.

If doing a live call to 911 as a test, it's absolutely critical that you don't hang up after you say it's a test. Let the operators do their thing, which may involve transferring you to the police to let them know it's a test.

Hanging up causes so much more work to follow up and attempt to verify that you aren't in peril --- especially if they cannot call back or you don't answer their call back attempt.

I've had enough calls at 2am asking for assistance in tracing abandoned 911 calls.
--
I represent AcroVoice, a full service Canadian VoIP Provider.
Buy your Obihai ATA shipped from within Canada.

meskinct
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium
Southbury, CT
Reviews:
·Charter
OK thanks all

I now have added [2-9]11S0 to the plan. I will try testing with an 811 call or something similar. I would hate to call 911 as a test.

So my plan is now

--
Rich. My Website

Gershom 1624

@optonline.net
said by meskinct:

I now have added [2-9]11S0 to the plan.

(Note to readers: This is for a Linksys PAP2T even though the topic header says Obi. Just to make sure no one makes an error).

I would suggest adding your [2-9]11S0 at the very beginning of the dial plan. I don't [think] that there are any conflicts in the specific way you did it, but it's a good idea generally to have that syntax at the very beginning just to make sure no unexpected conflicts or delays occur.

MZB

Dunrobin, ON
reply to meskinct
said by meskinct:

I tried dialing *225 for my VOIP.ms balance and get a fast busy. Same for 411. Now I'm worried 911 won't work as well.

Did you enable *225 and 411 for account on the voip.ms portal?

411 is under Account Settings / Account Restrictions
*225 has to be enabled for sub-accounts (not sure of main account)

FWIW, »wiki.voip.ms/article/OBi110 gives some "official" dial plans.

General note: be careful copying between Obi and Linksys: there are minor semantic and syntax differences. Best to address Linksys/Sipura/Cisco in a different thread.

meskinct
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium
Southbury, CT
Reviews:
·Charter
Yeah, you got me. User error on the account balance thing. That works now after dummy me set it up to be allowed from the sub-accounts.

As for 411 - I attempted 11 calls. They all returned a fast busy. So after checking my CDR, I got billed for 11 411 calls. Opened a ticket with support. Apparently, I discovered a problem with their 411 system and they are working on it. The dial plan is fine! They credited me the 10.89 back. Gotta love 'em. Quick response and great service every time I have an issue.

Mods- I'm cool if you want to split the thread. Good suggestion.
--
Rich. My Website

rstuff

join:2013-05-25
reply to MZB
Where do I find the rules for plans and maps? What happened to the [2-9]11S0) in the plan? What does (Mipd)|(Msip) do? Thanks for your help and patience.

JeanInNepean

join:2012-09-19
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy TekTalk
·voip.ms
·Primus Talkbroad..
The [2-9]11S0 was added to OP's dial plan. It's the second item in the plan:
(Mipd) and (Msip) are user-defined digit maps.