uniqs
share rss forum feed

kpossible
Premium
join:2003-09-11
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

Motorola modems

I saw that there was a thread from a couple of months back regarding the SB6121 and speed issues in the evening. Is anybody on the 50/5 tier, who is also using one of the Docsis 3.0 SB's having any trouble in the evening?

I was told by someone at WOW that they do not partner with Motorola, thus the Motorola SB's may have problems getting the speeds. I had no problems pulling the 50/5 until last August/September. Now I get 50/5 all day, no problem. At night, though, my download is halved. My uploads are always perfect.

I bought a Zoom Docsis 3.0 to try it out. It performed the same as the SB.

The only other thing is that my firmware is from late 2010. Nothing I can do about that, though, right?

Any suggestions?
--
My father always said, " There's a distinct difference between actually knowing it all and being a know-it-all."

stirfryguy0

join:2010-12-21
Rochester, MI

I would like to know too. I'm going to be upgrading to the 30 tier, buying my own modem and cutting cable.

I was leaning towards the SB6121 but since you're having issues I might re consider.

AlexE4

join:2006-12-16
Park Ridge, IL
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to kpossible

I know for a fact the SB6120 is approved by WOW, I've read it several times somewhere on this form. Take a look at the following link to the WOW blog for an (outdated) list of officially supported modems:

»thewowbuzz.com/blog/technology/s···a-sb6120

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?

join:2001-03-30
Brierfield, AL
reply to kpossible

That sounds like a classic situation of an overloaded service group.

WOW is going to have to somehow fix your service group in the headend. Depending on the setup, it could require a great deal of work, especially if your service group only consists of your single node.
--
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.

Disclaimer: These are MY comments, my employer cant be held responsible.

kpossible
Premium
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to kpossible

I had the 6120 up until the problem started in the fall of 2012. In an effort to help to try and solve the issue, I asked the manager in our area if an "upgrade" to the 6121 would help. He looked over the specs and said that it would be great for my tier.

As far as the congestion theory goes, they did discover a problem in my area. They said that they have made some adjustments and say that it should be fixed, but nothing much, if anything, has changed for me. That's why they're now supposing that it must be my modem... although the Zoom did the same thing.

It's an absolutely frustrating situation. It's been going on for about 6 months now. At some point, I felt strongly that they were working with me to try and fix it. Lately, I'm getting the sense that options are running out.

I just don't understand what changed at the end of August. Weird.
--
My father always said, " There's a distinct difference between actually knowing it all and being a know-it-all."

stirfryguy0

Rochester, MI
reply to kpossible

Searches also show that some people had to have a new config file pushed to them from wow_dan; not sure if that applies.

I've been thinking about getting the sb6141 since it's only $10 bucks more than the sb6121 on amazon. anyone have experience using the 6141?

kpossible
Premium
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to kpossible

Is the config file the same as the bin file or firmware? We had the 866 number representative push the bin file again last night. At least, that's what they were trying to do, I believe.
--

stirfryguy0

Rochester, MI
reply to kpossible

Not sure... but I just bought a 6141 so we'll see after this weekend once I upgrade to 30

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?

join:2001-03-30
Brierfield, AL
reply to kpossible

said by kpossible:

I had the 6120 up until the problem started in the fall of 2012. In an effort to help to try and solve the issue, I asked the manager in our area if an "upgrade" to the 6121 would help. He looked over the specs and said that it would be great for my tier.

Not much difference between the 6120 and 6121.

Both are 4x4 bonding, one just has a prettier case (ooooooooo), so not sure how that would be an upgrade

6141 is 8x4 bonding. Depending on the zoom you got, it could do 8x4. But, it also depends on what is being pushed in your area (as far as downstream channels).
--
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.

Disclaimer: These are MY comments, my employer cant be held responsible.