Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T Southeast
·Insight Communic..

1 edit
reply to infotime

Re: Modem ownership and move to Time Warner

Hi Info Time.

I had the same problems with the modem rentals, etc. I remember them putting a modem charge on my bill for 6 months that equalled to about 50.00 over the six month period when I first signed up for service. I began being charged a modem rental fee for something I thought I owned, but they were not willing to budge. I had the 2.0 telephone service and was told that I could not change out the modem as they do not support any customer owned telephony modems. I fixed that problem. I went to Bellsouth Landline for about 22.95 a month after taxes for local service only with CallerID and Call WaitingID. I purchased my own motorola modem and turned in the modem they said that they owned. They now began to credit me for the previous month's modem fee and removed the charge to my account.

I have had AT&T Uverse before and they do the same thing with the modem rental. When I had them it was about 4.00 a month with no option to purchase at all since your telephone, television and internet come out of the Uverse Gateway.

I would bite the bullet and go ahead and purchase your own modem and just return theirs. You can get a APC battery backup for your modem.

I have been feeling that the customer service with Insight has been declining, but I am still choosing to keep their internet service for the time being. It is still cheaper than Uverse for the type of speeds that I get. I will tell you from previous experience that AT&T customer service is worse by a number I cannot even magnify. Since I have Bellsouth Landline with At&T, it is a separate department from Uverse and they are fine. I had billing nightmares with Uverse, but they might have fixed their problems.

I would just weigh all of your options and would recommend purchasing your own modem with Insight for a while and see what happens. In the end, I think you will be happier. Just my opinion.

pianoman

join:2013-04-10
Florence, KY

I spoke with an Insight computer tech. He said to purchase a Netgear or an Arris that is telephone compatible. They are sold at staples, office depot, best buy, walmart, etc. I'll find out soon whether this is true. I am not paying lease fee for a modem.

DevilOnE
Fozzie the buttplug, Vu the shitkicker
Premium
join:2003-12-12
Evansville, IN

said by pianoman:

I spoke with an Insight computer tech. He said to purchase a Netgear or an Arris that is telephone compatible. They are sold at staples, office depot, best buy, walmart, etc. I'll find out soon whether this is true. I am not paying lease fee for a modem.

When you find out, post the net gear model number.