share rss forum feed

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 edit

[Other] Olympics 'Blade Runner' sprinter charged with murder

Looks like the guy who mesmerized the last summer Olympics with his no legs; blade runner; sprints has been charged in S.Africa with murdering his girlfriend.

»www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/02/1···lfriend/

Paralympic champion Oscar Pistorius, the double-amputee athlete who became famous as the 'Blade Runner' when he competed in the 2012 Olympic Games, has been charged with the murder of his girlfriend after model Reeva Steenkamp was shot inside his South African home.

Steenkamp, a model who spoke out on Twitter against rape and abuse of women, was shot four times in the predawn hours in the home, in a gated community in the capital, Pretoria, police said.

His court hearing was originally scheduled for Thursday afternoon but has been postponed until Friday to give forensic investigators time to carry out their work, said Medupe Simasiku, a spokesman for the prosecution.

Police said that there had "previously been incidents at the home of Mr. Oscar Pistorius." Police in South Africa do not name suspects in crimes until they have appeared in court, but police spokesperson Brigadier Denise Beukes said that Pistorius was at his home at the time of the death of Steenkamp and "there is no other suspect involved."

South Africa has some of the world's highest murder rates, with nearly 50 people killed each day in the nation of 50 million. It also has high rates of rape, other assaults, robbery and carjackings.

U.N. statistics show South Africa has the second highest rate of shooting deaths in the world, second only to Colombia.

Court hearing on Friday: »mg.co.za/article/2013-02-14-osca···n-friday
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

He has had previous history of abuse.
Doesn't appear he's a very nice person.

»www.theglobeandmail.com/news/wor···8655070/

sailor
Premium
join:2003-10-21
Long Island
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

With the evidence they're gathering I don't think he has a leg to stand on.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

said by sailor:

With the evidence they're gathering I don't think he has a leg to stand on.

Very punny!

sailor
Premium
Long Island
reply to FFH

While Pistorius was in court reports emerged which seemingly challenged the notion that Pistorius had shot Steenkamp after mistaking her for a robber.

First, it was revealed that police had been called to Pistorius' house two hours before the shooting because neighbors complained of hearing a loud argument in the home presumably between Pistorius and Steenkamp, according to South African newspaper Beeld.

Second, the South African media reported that Pistorius shot Steenkamp four times through a bathroom door.

»www.nypost.com/p/news/internatio···ZmXbuxAM

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
reply to FFH

capdjq
Premium
Vancouver

I do a lot of visits to South Africa during my sea faring trips. One of the most dangerous place I've ever visited. I feel scared to walk the streets today. The Apartheid era was disgraceful but it was much much safer.

sailor
Premium
Long Island
reply to FFH

Click for full size
She was stunning....photos here

»www.nydailynews.com/news/world/o···mSlide=0

And like many guys, my money would be on he couldn't handle his jealousy....and by all accounts he had no reason to be jealous at all as she was very much into him.
__

Just hours before she was shot, Steenkamp was overjoyed while picking up a Valentine's Day gift for her "boo," as she often referred to Pistorius on her Twitter account.

It was a photo framed with four photographs of the couple — coincidentally, one for each month of their budding courtship.

"She was smiling and laughing when she arrived," a shopkeeper at the gift store, Party Box Goodies, told South Africa's Mail and Guardian newspaper. "She walked out smiling too."

Steenkamp told staffers, "This is a surprise for him. He loves surprises."

»www.nydailynews.com/news/world/s···.1265079

Cops were called to their apartment a few hours before she was shot by their neighbors due to a very loud argument they heard...Cops come and then leave...

She ends up going in to the bathroom, locks the door and starts to take a shower...He allegedly, in a rage, starts shooting through the door hitting her more then once in the head and then once in the chest.

capdjq
Premium
Vancouver

I love those Headline "......as she cowered behind the bathroom door".

There were only two people in the house. How do they know that?

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing

Probably the physical evidence.

sailor
Premium
Long Island
reply to sailor

The family fightback came as reports emerged that Mr Pistorius fought to save Miss Steenkamp's life after allegedly shooting her four times through the bathroom door in the early hours of St Valentine's Day morning.

Security guards and neighbours who rushed to his exclusive home on a security compound outside Pretoria saw Mr Pistorius running down the stairs with the blonde model in his arms, according to a source quoted by the Afrikaans newspaper Beeld.

Miss Steenkamp was still breathing, it said, and Mr Pistorius tried desperately to save her using mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.

"Blood splatters along the route that Pistorius carried her was further proof that her heart was still beating," the paper added.

And a close friend of Mr Pistorius told on Saturday how the athlete called him moments after Miss Steenkamp was shot.

Justin Divaris told the Sunday People: "Oscar called me at 3.55am saying that Reeva had been shot. I said to him, 'What are you talking about? I don't understand you.' He then repeated himself - 'There has been a terrible accident, I shot Reeva.

»www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne···ays.html

____

And from an interview from a year ago the 9mm he shot her with is mentioned.

»www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/magaz···all&_r=0

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing
reply to FFH

quote:
It has been reported that Mr Pistorius has been tested for steroids after the banned drug was allegedly found at his home.

Police asked for blood taken from Mr Pistorius to be tested for steroids, City Press claimed, in anticipation that his defence team might claim he acted in “roid rage” – an aggressive condition associated with taking large doses of performance-enhancing drugs.

A source told The Sun: “Steroid drugs were found at Pistorius’s home together with evidence of heavy drinking. That’s why police have specifically ordered that he be tested for steroids.”

There was no immediate comment from police of the reported discovery of steroids.
quote:
She had been shot in the head, hand, hip and arm, and her skull was reportedly fractured.
»www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne···ion.html

Note: the Telegraph isn't the most reliable source in the world.
--
here comes leadership

sailor
Premium
Long Island

Also

A blood-stained cricket bat was found at the home in Pretoria, South Africa — and Reeva, 29, appeared to have skull “crush injuries”. Tests will establish whether she was injured by the bat before being shot.

Police will also examine the theory she used the bat to defend herself or that Pistorius used it to smash his way into the bathroom.

___

OSCAR Pistorius’s rages forced an Olympics roommate to quit their shared digs at last year’s London Games, a pal of the star revealed yesterday.

Radio host David O’Sullivan said Pistorius had “an unsettling dark side”.

But he was shocked after speaking to Arnu Fourie, 27, who pipped Pistorius to 100m bronze.

David said: “They were obviously very close. I asked Fourie what it was like rooming with Oscar.

“He said he had been forced to move out as Oscar was constantly screaming in anger at people on the phone.

“I was taken aback. I realised he was more complex than I thought.

“The dark side to Oscar was always unsettling. I knew he had a reputation for being arrogant and aloof. I heard he was quick to anger.” The sprinter is said to have a history of violent outbursts. David said he once threatened to shoot a football ace in a rage.

Last year he reportedly threatened to break a love rival’s legs.

»www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne···amp.html

sailor
Premium
Long Island

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

Maybe they should just let him go....You know, he probably shot her multiple times only due to he must have acted out of a sportsman’s “instinct”.

And even grandma says he just made a mistake anyone could make.
_
His father, Henke Pistorius, 59, told The Daily Telegraph: “Until it’s proved otherwise, I can’t believe that this was anything but a tragic accident.” He added that he believed his son acted out of a sportsman’s “instinct”.

His family have insisted that he shot at Miss Steenkamp through the bathroom door of his home in Pretoria, believing her to be an intruder.

His grandmother, Gertie Pistorius, 89, claimed on Sunday that the shooting of Miss Steenkamp was “a mistake anybody can make”.

»www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne···him.html

__

You know its one thing for a family to support a family member but his family and their excuses personally make me sick...I also read somewhere yesterday where his father said he was famous around the world and respected by many and he wants to pass along a message from his son Oscar to the slain girls parents expressing his condolences.

Her poor parents have been sedated for days which started the moment they heard the tragic news their daughter was brutally murdered.....and this coward wants to send a message of sympathy to them.

royhandy

join:2012-11-05
USA
reply to FFH

From his statement:

"I'm accutely aware of people gaining entries to homes to commit crime, I've received death threats." And: "I woke up to close the sliding door and heard a noise in the bathroom."

"I screamed at the intruder because I did not have my legs on I felt vulnerable." And: "I walked back to the bed and realised Reeva was not in bed."

Interesting.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to FFH

Pistorius version of events:

»www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-575···n-words/

Pistorius' lawyers submitted to the court via an affadavit that offer his view of the tragic events of this past Valentine's Day:

16.2 I have been informed that I am accused of having committed the offence of murder. I deny the aforesaid allegation in the strongest terms.

16.3 I am advised that I do not have to deal with the merits of the case for purposes of the bail application. However, I believe that it is appropriate to deal with the merits in this application, particularly in view of the State's contention that I planned to murder Reeva. Nothing can be further from the truth and I have no doubt that it is not possible for the State to present objective facts to substantiate such an allegation, as there is no substance in the allegation. I do not know on what different facts the allegation of a premeditated murder could be premised and I respectfully request the State to furnish me with such alleged facts in order to allow me to refute such allegations.

16.4 On the 13th of February 2013 Reeva would have gone out with her friends and I with my friends. Reeva then called me and asked that we rather spend the evening at home. I agreed and we were content to have a quiet dinner together at home. By about 22h00 on 13 February 2013 we were in our bedroom. She was doing her yoga exercises and I was in bed watching television. My prosthetic legs were off. We were deeply in love and I could not be happier. I know she felt the same way. She had given me a present for Valentine's Day but asked me only to open it the next day.

16.5 After Reeva finished her yoga exercises she got into bed and we both fell asleep.

16.6 I am acutely aware of violent crime being committed by intruders entering homes with a view to commit crime, including violent crime. I have received death threats before. I have also been a victim of violence and of burglaries before. For that reason I kept my firearm, a 9 mm Parabellum, underneath my bed when I went to bed at night.

16.7 During the early morning hours of 14 February 2013, I woke up, went onto the balcony to bring the fan in and closed the sliding doors, the blinds and the curtains. I heard a noise in the bathroom and realised that someone was in the bathroom.

16.8 I felt a sense of terror rushing over me. There are no burglar bars across the bathroom window and I knew that contractors who worked at my house had left the ladders outside. Although I did not have my prosthetic legs on I have mobility on my stumps.

16.9 I believed that someone had entered my house. I was too scared to switch a light on.

16.10 I grabbed my 9mm pistol from underneath my bed. On my way to the bathroom I screamed words to the effect for him/them to get out of my house and for Reeva to phone the police. It was pitch dark in the bedroom and I thought Reeva was in bed.

16.11 I noticed that the bathroom window was open. I realised that the intruder/s was/were in the toilet because the toilet door was closed and I did not see anyone in the bathroom. I heard movement inside the toilet. The toilet is inside the bathroom and has a separate door.

16.12 It filled me with horror and fear of an intruder or intruders being inside the toilet. I thought he or they must have entered through the unprotected window. As I did not have my prosthetic legs on and felt extremely vulnerable, I knew I had to protect Reeva and myself. I believed that when the intruder/s came out of the toilet we would be in grave danger. I felt trapped as my bedroom door was locked and I have limited mobility on my stumps.

16.13 I fired shots at the toilet door and shouted to Reeva to phone the police. She did not respond and I moved backwards out of the bathroom, keeping my eyes on the bathroom entrance. Everything was pitch dark in the bedroom and I was still too scared to switch on a light. Reeva was not responding.

16.14 When I reached the bed, I realised that Reeva was not in bed. That is when it dawned on me that it could have been Reeva who was in the toilet. I returned to the bathroom calling her name. I tried to open the toilet door but it was locked. I rushed back into the bedroom and opened the sliding door exiting onto the balcony and screamed for help.

16.15 I put on my prosthetic legs, ran back to the bathroom and tried to kick the toilet door open. I think I must then have turned on the lights. I went back into the bedroom and grabbed my cricket bat to bash open the toilet door. A panel or panels broke off and I found the key on the floor and unlocked and opened the door. Reeva was slumped over but alive.

16.16 I battled to get her out of the toilet and pulled her into the bathroom. I phoned Johan Stander ("Stander") who was involved in the administration of the estate and asked him to phone the ambulance. I phoned Netcare and asked for help. I went downstairs to open the front door.

16.17 I returned to the bathroom and picked Reeva up as I had been told not to wait for the paramedics, but to take her to hospital. I carried her downstairs in order to take her to the hospital. On my way down Stander arrived. A doctor who lives in the complex also arrived. Downstairs, I tried to render the assistance to Reeva that I could, but she died in my arms.

16.18 I am absolutely mortified by the events and the devastating loss of my beloved Reeva. With the benefit of hindsight I believe that Reeva went to the toilet when I went out on the balcony to bring the fan in. I cannot bear to think of the suffering I have caused her and her family, knowing how much she was loved. I also know that the events of that tragic night were as I have described them and that in due course I have no doubt the police and expert investigators will bear this out.

--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

Prosecutor's version:

»www.turkishweekly.net/news/14731···ius.html

Lead prosecutor Gerrie Nel spared no words in his argument, declaring that Oscar Pistorius is charged with murder. The declaration sent the Olympic runner into heaving sobs.

Nel then described the prosecution's version of events of February 14 at Pistorius' plush Pretoria home.

The picture he painted was a vivid one: The double amputee, he alleged, attached his prosthesis, walked seven meters to a nearby bathroom and shot Reeva Steenkamp four times through the locked door. Nel told the court that Pistorius then broke down the door from the outside, carried her body downstairs, and called a friend to say that he thought Steenkamp was a burglar.

That claim, Nel said, shows that Pistorius planned the murder.

Defense attorney Barry Roux .... tried to dismantle Nel's argument that the murder was premeditated, arguing that the couple had no history of arguments - a point quickly refuted by Nel, who said he later intended to prove there had been an argument.

--

sailor
Premium
Long Island
reply to FFH

My bet is he killed her in a fit of jealous rage after she received a Happy Valentine's Day greeting on her iPad from the rugby player she was friends with while the two of them were in bed.

Her iPad will sink him.

Little man complex and jealousy made him go into a rage and I would even bet she told him right then and there that in the short time she has known him ( just since last November ) she loves him but his jealousy and controlling her has got out of control and she feels the best thing would be for them to take a break from each other.

He grabs her Ipad and flings it to the floor so she then scrambles out of bed and he reaches under the bed and grabs his gun and fires at her once hitting her while she runs to the bathroom to get away from him..Locks the door and goes to sit on the toilet and she leans over from the pain of the first shot in her side and then placed her hands over her head to protect it and that is why one of his other shots hit her in the hand....she never had a chance as he keep firing through the door and that is why they got him on premeditated....IMO, his only chance is to cop a plea for a 20-30 year sentence in order to save himself from life in prison...and jealous controlling guys like him will do anything to save their own ass.

He's just one of many controlling jealous freaks who can't believe their good luck when a beautiful girl falls for them and they will do anything, including murder, to keep her away from others who they in their twisted jealous minds perceive as a threat.....Think O.J...it was ok in his controlling sick mind if he screwed around but heaven help Nicole if she as much as looked at another man.

sailor
Premium
Long Island
reply to FFH

Click for full size
Her poor father...can you imagine the pain he must feel inside while signing for flowers for his murdered daughters service?