Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

1 recommendation

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Performance

"• Comcast's Performance tier will be going from 12/2 Mbps to 25/4 Mbps (May 2013)"

^ Confuses me. Does this mean that the new speeds will be 25/4 without PB?

Only a couple of people got the Performance tier increase and it was 22/4 I believe without PB.

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk

Same here on the confusion....if you're already on the Blast 50/10 plan where's the upgrade? I guess no upgrade. I'm not complaining just questioning.

Grothendieck
Premium Member
join:2002-07-28
Miami, FL

Grothendieck

Premium Member

said by YukonHawk:

if you're already on the Blast 50/10 plan where's the upgrade? I guess no upgrade. I'm not complaining just questioning.

I think the point is that the rest of the areas will get speeds equalized to that of the northeast. Being that you are already in the northeast, yeah I guess no upgrade.

YukonHawk
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk

Thanks

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

3 edits

FFH5 to Darknessfall

Premium Member

to Darknessfall
said by Darknessfall:

"• Comcast's Performance tier will be going from 12/2 Mbps to 25/4 Mbps (May 2013)"

^ Confuses me. Does this mean that the new speeds will be 25/4 without PB?

Only a couple of people got the Performance tier increase and it was 22/4 I believe without PB.

I am getting consistent 22/4 without PB in NJ. And even though it says IPV4, this test was using IPV6.
»ipv6.speedtest.comcast.net/

An IPV4 run to same server:
»speedtest.comcast.net/

And a shaper probe run:
quote:
DiffProbe release. January 2012. Build 1008.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 38.102.0.87.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 4526 Kbps.
Downstream: 22016 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 3.0 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 4442 Kbps.

Downstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 21952 Kbps.

For more information, visit: »www.cc.gatech.edu/~parth ··· iffprobe

YukonHawk
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
Not doing too bad here...If there was going to be an upgrade would it be 105/xx? Remains to be seen.

»speedof.me/show.php?img= ··· 3445.png

Darknessfall
Premium Member

Darknessfall to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
I wonder when the rest of the North East will receive the Performance upgrade or if we'll have to wait till May. We still have 25/4 PB in CT with 16/2 main.

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by Darknessfall:

I wonder when the rest of the North East will receive the Performance upgrade or if we'll have to wait till May. We still have 25/4 PB in CT with 16/2 main.

Have you powered off and on your cable modem? And is it docsis3. You have to do both to see if you have the new speeds and no powerboost.

Darknessfall
Premium Member

Darknessfall

Premium Member

I tried to power it off and on but nothing . Using a DPC3008. I also didn't get a email.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to FFH5

MVM

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by Darknessfall:

Have you powered off and on your cable modem? And is it docsis3. You have to do both to see if you have the new speeds and no powerboost.

Here in my part of CT it is still 16/2 with PB making it show 25/4 on a normal speedtest. I have re-booted within the last day.
Kamus
join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

Kamus to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

And a shaper probe run: ...

I've become very suspicious of those shape detectors... I'm 100% sure my ISP has traffic shaping, but I've never had it detected by any of the tests I've seen online.

Here's how my ISP does it:

It slows down all transfers to a crawl to other users of any other ISP.
It doesn't slow the traffic down within my same ISP or any server that isn't a client of a big ISP.
As if to trying to prevent users from setting up servers for the public. (after all, only those domains are bound to have many users)
I'm 100% sure it is in fact traffic shaping, because all it takes for me to get around that speed cap to other ISPs is to turn on my VPN.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to PeteC2

Premium Member

to PeteC2
Yeah, I'm stuck at 25/4 with Blast! in Groton. I wish the would hurry it up and roll it out to all markets.

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday
join:2001-09-07
Sudbury, MA
552.8 23.8

joetaxpayer to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

What's the speed limit if it's not a Docsis 3 modem? It would be great if they told us this. So I could have more than 2X my speed but need to upgrade the modem?
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Theoretically 38mbps, but they probably won't let you get anywhere near that on a D2 modem, as you'd be saturating a whole channel.
mahermusic
TRUMP LOST LOL
join:2001-07-06

1 edit

mahermusic to joetaxpayer

to joetaxpayer
said by joetaxpayer:

What's the speed limit if it's not a Docsis 3 modem? It would be great if they told us this. So I could have more than 2X my speed but need to upgrade the modem?

Here's a speedtest using my Doscis 2 modem, running through my (non-gigabit) Vonage router:

HotTorch
@digis.net

HotTorch to FFH5

Anon

to FFH5
Sorry but I don't believe a Comcast speed test on a Comcast line for a min. Use a 3rd party speedtest and I'll believe it.

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Did you look at the shaper probe test(not Comcast) that confirmed the 2 Comcast tests.

ComcastEmplo
@comcast.net

ComcastEmplo to YukonHawk

Anon

to YukonHawk
50/10 is the extreme is going to 105 down. Blast was 16 down but now getting bumped to 50.

Where i get my info : im a comcast employee
ComcastEmplo

ComcastEmplo to joetaxpayer

Anon

to joetaxpayer
Everything above performance requries a D3 modem. If you have blast and not getting the speeds, call and make sure the modem is provisioned with the correct bootfile. Speak to tech support ONLY!
ComcastEmplo

ComcastEmplo to HotTorch

Anon

to HotTorch
All speed tests are subject to server loads, no speed test is 100% accurate.

How i get my information?

Ive been a comcast employee for 5 years in tech support for residential and business class.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to HotTorch

MVM

to HotTorch
said by HotTorch :

Sorry but I don't believe a Comcast speed test on a Comcast line for a min. Use a 3rd party speedtest and I'll believe it.

Why not? Yes, PB "fools" standard speed tests,but that is not at all limited to Comcast's speed test.

Speakeasy, Speedtest.net, and Comcast speed test all give me the same results within a very narrow range...not enough to quibble over.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Exactly. I used to get 24/2.5 on an 8/1 D2 connection on Speedtest.net.
mahermusic
TRUMP LOST LOL
join:2001-07-06

mahermusic

said by BiggA:

Exactly. I used to get 24/2.5 on an 8/1 D2 connection on Speedtest.net.

Nice!!! Probably had you coded on a higher tier, and they didn't know about it...
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

No, the 24/2.5 was PowerBoost, but it would kick in over and over again if you had multiple things using bandwidth, so it felt much more like a 24/2.5 connection than an 8/1 connection.