share rss forum feed

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE

Need new rig for a tight budget

Hello everyone,
I need new rig, money is tight can only spend between 500 and 600.

i do not need any peripherals or OS, and i am not looking for top of the line either, anything made in the last 6 mos would be an upgrade for me, considering my current pc, i cant find the thread that i have my rig posted in atm moment but if anyone remembers it is old , OLD old. I just wanted a new pc that can play current releases at a decent FPS and decent graphics , im not the kind that needs to see every hair on a gnats ass if you know what i mean. even if its a pre built unit that can be upgraded is ok with me as well.

thank you for any input you may have.
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!
"What happened in here?" " Seems to have been a bit of a squabble." "They're all dead!" " More of a tif then."

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

2 edits

This comes in at $610 shipped before $25 of MIRs, which gives you about another $15 if you want to upgrade something. I'd suggest stepping up the case if you want to come in right at $600.

Edit: Fixed with the right HDD.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to cymraeg

That'd be pretty decent system right there ^

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Krisnatharok

and "Free Bioshock&Tomb Raider game coupon w/ purchase, limited offer" with the GPU, so you get to enjoy current games immediately.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE

hey Kris would that case support that HD and my current one as a slave so i can have the data i still have or would i have to copy that to the new one
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!
"What happened in here?" " Seems to have been a bit of a squabble." "They're all dead!" " More of a tif then."

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

From the description:

• 3 External 5.25" Drive Bays
• 6 Internal 3.5" Drive Bays

So yes it should, provided it is an SATA 1, 2, or 3 drive, and not IDE.
--

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE

well my current one doesnt say sata or ide just a bunch of numbers and letters and at the end it says scsi disc, so i have no clue ill just copy it over
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

What disk do you currently have? How old is the computer?

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE

»support.acer.com/acerpanam/deskt···ml#sup_1

this is the general build of the pc but i dont have the 1 tb HD

mine is 300gb and it says WDC Wc32 then some numbers then at the end it says SCSI disc it wont let me copy/paste the line if you need more ill type it out

as you can see it will be like driving a clown car and then buying a new luxury sedan, anything is an upgrade at this point
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

It says SATA, you'll be good.

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE

awesome, now my current drive is partitioned would i have to de-partition it or anything or perhaps rename the 2 partitions to designate destination?
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

I would wait to install your second drive until after you get Windows installed on the first one and up and running.

Prior to the install, ensure the SATA controller is set to AHCI mode (vs. IDE mode) in the BIOS.

Once everything is up and running and your Windows install is solid, then hook up the second drive. It probably will recognize it without you doing anything additional.
--

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE

okay you lost me there i have never tinkered with the BIOS so i would probably be coming by here to ask questions before i touched anything hehe
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

It would look something like this:

»www.phoronix.net/image.php?id=in···ahci_med

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE

ok so that is something that comes with the new HD then, because i have never seen that screen before?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

You will see something like that, that's for an ECS board, and the board I suggested is an Asrock board. "It" is an option for your SATA controller, and that comes on the motherboard, not the hard drive.

It's more about future proofing in case you add an SSD--just ensure that when you first boot into the BIOS/UEFI prior to formatting the new HDD and installing Windows, you set the SATA controller to AHCI mode.

That's it.
--

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE

AHHHHH ok i see what you mean now, will do. thanks for all the help i am sure ill have more questions once i take a look at this stuff at home
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!

Phantasee

join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA
reply to cymraeg

+1 to Kris' build

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to cymraeg

+1 to Kris' build also, for the money that is a really good build. I mean sure if you wanted you could spend $20 more and get the 2GB 7850 but right now if money is tight the 1GB will work just fine man.

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE

1 edit
reply to cymraeg

ok i read some of the reviews of the case, and being that this would be my first self built machine i kinda think it isnt for me, i was wanting your thoughts on this one

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···11119233

also that video card is sold out , lucky me so i guess ill try for the 2gb version

also the power supply is great , but all the wires it has is kind of scary i was wondering about a modular one that i can more readily identify which cables i am using.like this one perhaps.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···17139048

even with the extra money for these it only adds 50 dollars to the total shipped price, i can wait a week or so and save that i think?

but if you guys think i should stay with the build you made for me then i shall, i am just apprehensive i guess. never having built my own.

also i see that the dvd and hd are oem do i need to buy additional cabling for them?
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

The HAF 912 lacks front USB3 ports. If you don't want the Redbone, try the Challenger:

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···11147060

Sapphire isn't the only company to make a 7850, but getting the 2GB is a decent idea if you don't mind spending the extra money: »www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi···eSize=20

PSUs aren't scary at all if you go methodically and read what goes to what, but modular PSUs are great ideas because you can remove the un-needed cables and the inside of the case looks a little neater. The Corsair you listed is fine.

The motherboard comes with SATA cables (it comes with two) and the PSU comes with power cables. It might not hurt to pick up one or two more SATA cables.

If you have never worked on computers before, grab

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···99261002
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···99261001
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···35100010
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···35100007 (never know when you may need to re-mount your CPU cooler)

--

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE

1 recommendation

reply to cymraeg

update

i went with the U3 case , ty Kris

its all put together running like a boss, thank you guys for the assist, it is like night and day, super fast graphics are top notch, for me anyway, can't put into words how much of an improvement this is, thank you all again and especially Kris.
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE
reply to cymraeg

i have hit a snag.

the win7 disc i have is an upgrade one so the key i have will not work on a clean install. this i did not know, and i do not have a vista disc to install under it to activate windows, FML.

Now i have to buy a new win7 disc just to get a damn key to activate it, /sadpanda.
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!

ken225

join:2003-11-22
Brunswick, OH

Just do a double install with the Windows 7 disc. Install it once, don't fill out any serial number and let it boot up. Then, install it again and activate it like normal.

Works like a charm.

Blockfire
Sarcasm is my native tongue

join:2010-02-11
Wichita, KS
kudos:1
reply to cymraeg

*deleted for nonsense.

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium