Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to InvalidError

Re: CIPPIC has been granted Intervenor Status

said by InvalidError:

I never claimed it was practical but people who are genuinely concerned about their "IP privacy" still need to realize how hopelessly public their IP really is.

Fair enough, I agree that if you want to keep your IP address private you actually have make an effort and not expect service providers to do it for you.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

JonyBelGeul
Premium
join:2008-07-31
reply to InvalidError

said by InvalidError:

said by El Quintron:

Agreed, except in context, all of the above have privacy policies that govern the use of your ip, email and PIDs

And most of the above also have countless agreements with 3rd-parties sharing various degrees of information, all of which susceptible of leaking information.

I never claimed it was practical but people who are genuinely concerned about their "IP privacy" still need to realize how hopelessly public their IP really is.

I could go on about dynamic IP's. Suffice to say, dynamic IP's mean IP logs for any other entity except the ISP who assigns them is useless, thus is unlikely to be maintained except by the ISP, if at all.
--
My blog. Wanna Git My Ball on Blogspot.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5

said by JonyBelGeul:

I could go on about dynamic IP's. Suffice to say, dynamic IP's mean IP logs for any other entity except the ISP who assigns them is useless, thus is unlikely to be maintained except by the ISP, if at all.

Google, Netflix and most other online services maintain open connections with their apps and webpages for as long as you are logged in. Each and every one of those services will get your updated dynamic IP next time you sign in or next time the web page/app restarts its server connections such as DHTML feeds.

Dynamic IPs do not magically prevent this.

JonyBelGeul
Premium
join:2008-07-31

said by InvalidError:

said by JonyBelGeul:

Google, Netflix and most other online services maintain open connections with their apps and webpages for as long as you are logged in. Each and every one of those services will get your updated dynamic IP next time you sign in or next time the web page/app restarts its server connections such as DHTML feeds.

Dynamic IPs do not magically prevent this.

Exactly. Whatever usefulness Google finds with IP's is limited to the current session, thus is unlikely to be logged for any longer than that. In other words, the ability to obtain the same information from another entity is diminished according to the value those other entities give to that same information, and this value is determined by the usefulness. Also, the accuracy of the same information when obtained from other entities is diminished as well, according to the ability of these other entities to maintain an active link with this IP. This ability is primarily determined by the user himself; logins, apps, updaters, open active web pages, etc. In other words, the same information from other entities is inherently inaccurate by virtue of relying on high-level protocols. Even from the ISP itself, the same information is also inherently inaccurate as it's been demonstrated already. If we start with baseline 50% accuracy for ISP source, it's doubtful that when the same information is obtained from another entity, it would be any better than that. More likely, it would be so inaccurate as to be a fluke if anybody is identified this way. Finally, as had been said many times before, confirming the association between an IP and a name does not confirm the identity of the person who did the deed.

You may still have a point that anybody can still be identified through other sources, but that point is significantly weakened now.
--
My blog. Wanna Git My Ball on Blogspot.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5

said by JonyBelGeul:

Also, the accuracy of the same information when obtained from other entities is diminished as well, according to the ability of these other entities to maintain an active link with this IP. This ability is primarily determined by the user himself; logins, apps, updaters, open active web pages, etc. In other words, the same information from other entities is inherently inaccurate by virtue of relying on high-level protocols.

If you log into a site that opens a DHTML connection at 10:30 and the last recorded activity on the DHTML TCP session occurs at 22:30, the site managing that DHTML feed is pretty much 100% certain the IP was related to your account during that time frame.

As far as logging goes, many services log IP sign-in/sign-off with timestamps for security reasons such as detecting attempts to use stale cookies to restore persistent sessions and managing multiple persistent sessions from multiple browsers/devices.

stevey_frac

join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON
reply to Perma

Awesome news!

QuantumPimp

join:2012-02-19
Reviews:
·voip.ms

1 recommendation

reply to Perma

FYI: »www.cira.ca/news/events-page/2013-cif/

Before the latest drama I had never heard of CIPPIC. Maybe this event can shine the spotlight on similarly useful organizations. OpenMedia appears to be worth monitoring. Family members inclined to give me a gift card for special occasions I've asked to instead donate to CIPPIC. Not much but it's a start.

It is time once again for the Canadian Internet Forum (CIF) national event!

The CIF is Canada's leading event that brings together domestic and international Internet experts to discuss and debate the hot topics that help shape the Canadian Internet landscape.

Event: 2013 CIF National Event
Time and date: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (ET), February 28, 2013
Location: Ottawa Convention Centre, Canada Hall 3, 55 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa
Webcast: Register to participate by webcast

This event will also feature a keynote from Privacy Commissioner, Jennifer Stoddart about privacy on the Internet landscape in Canada as well as panel presentations and discussions about digital literacy and policy and governance featuring Steve Anderson from Openmedia.ca, Karen Mulberry from the Internet Society, Tim Denton from the CRTC, Matthew Johnson from MediaSmarts, and journalist Shane Schick.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile

You'd heard of Michael Geist? You've heard of CIPPIC He founded it!

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_I···t_Clinic

funny0

join:2010-12-22
reply to Perma

oh my what would americans do without all that copyright?
OH RIGHT KILL stuff uh huh uh huh......