Premium Member
join:2002-10-11
USA

1 recommendation

Chaplain to monchis

Premium Member

to monchis

Re: dead space 3 - game of the year already

I've enjoyed it very much so far. Gonna buy a three month live pass so I can play co-op with a friend. For me:

Dead Space: Survival Horror (I came close to running out of ammo and health many times) with a frightening and claustrophobic atmosphere. I waited for something to jump out at every corner, and the less frequency of the scares made each one priceless. Best of the series, IMO.

Dead Space 2: Unbelievable opening gameplay, and more action oriented. Still had scares, and still had slight ammo issues, but mainly concerned with having the right ammo for the right weapon. Going back to the USG Ishimura was very scary, as it brought back the original game's claustrophobia and jumpiness.

Dead Space 3: A bit watered down, and very action oriented. It followed the same general Dead Space formula, but adding COD and MW elements disappointed me. I know it gets more sales to those who never played the previous games, but I'd prefer the scares, atmosphere, and tense concern over ammo. Now you have more ammo than you'd ever need. I still love the game, though. It's saving graces are it's length (long game, lots to explore), spacewalk, co-op (still haven't tried), and gun smithing. I am a bit OCD, so I can spend tons of time on the bench just fucking around with guns. It's part of the fun of the total game for me, at this point.

Survival Horror is no longer a big selling concept, as most gamers want firepower and dominance over hordes of enemies as opposed to running away from enemies to conserve ammo and health. I always enjoyed games like RE where you go into a room, see a zombie, panic, run, bump into the door, fire and miss, bump into the door again, get bit, and run back out (paraphrased from someone who I remember writing about the original RE). Really gets your adrenaline pumping, and the thinking ahead in order to have enough ammo and health to get through the game makes each encounter a big thing, and not just something else to fire endless bullets through.

footballdude
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

1 recommendation

footballdude

Premium Member

said by Chaplain:

Dead Space: Survival Horror (I came close to running out of ammo and health many times) with a frightening and claustrophobic atmosphere. I waited for something to jump out at every corner, and the less frequency of the scares made each one priceless. Best of the series, IMO.

Dead Space 2: Unbelievable opening gameplay, and more action oriented. Still had scares, and still had slight ammo issues, but mainly concerned with having the right ammo for the right weapon. Going back to the USG Ishimura was very scary, as it brought back the original game's claustrophobia and jumpiness.

If I was to write a review of those two games I think it would look almost exactly like what you just wrote. Spot on.

I haven't played the third yet, because I'm a cheap bastard and I'll wait until it's five dollars on Steam. That's all I paid for the first two.

I totally agree on the opening sequence of DS2. Especially the part where you meet the doctor with the big knife.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by footballdude:

said by Chaplain:

If I was to write a review of those two games I think it would look almost exactly like what you just wrote. Spot on.

I haven't played the third yet, because I'm a cheap bastard and I'll wait until it's five dollars on Steam. That's all I paid for the first two.

I totally agree on the opening sequence of DS2. Especially the part where you meet the doctor with the big knife.

I also agree. I am replaying the first two Dead Space games right now just to get a blast from the past so to speak. Then I will play DS3 from where I left off.

Overall, as I said before, DS3 is a solid entry. Not GOTY but solid.