how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mdelleman

join:2009-03-16
Langley, BC

[BC] Potential New TELUS Customer Questions

Hey everyone. I have posted in here in the past (long ago) and received great help from some TELUS techs/customers so I am hoping for the same this time around! (-:

Thinking of going over to TELUS from SHAW. Price point being a key factor for me but the sticking point is the internet. I currently have Broadband 50 with SHAW and am getting about 45 MBps from them.

Thinking of going with TELUS either 15 or 25 internet and Optik TV package with 1 HD PVR and 2 extra HD boxes. 2 of those boxes could be used simultaneously in the house.

What sort of drain will I see on my internet connection if there are 2 HD boxes on at the same time? Do the TV boxes use part of my 25 MBps bandwidth? How much bandwidth do they use per box?

What type of service do I have with TELUS (ADSL2+, VDSL2). How does my area effect my speeds? My modem/gateway would be located directly behind the TELUS/SHAW box on the side of my house and then Cat5e/6 run from router to a computer with a couple more on Wifi.

Here is the Google Maps link to my approximate location - goo.gl/CLKky

Obviously I will be cutting my potential download speeds in half or more going down to 15 or 25 MBps and I am ok with that considering the price difference I will be saving monthly.

We really only watch our few dramas or sitcoms every week and alot of sports but I do want my HD sports to be of a decent quality. I really have had no experience with TELUS for at least 3-4 years and at that time I don't belive they had TV to offer so I have only used their internet.

Can any techs also tell me the optimal setup to ask the installer for re: gateway. I would like to use my own router so I will be bridging. Have read a few things about how to do this on the Actiontek gateway but not sure what TELUS is now providing to their customers and what will be the optimal setup. I am good with technology and would have no problem setting things up but would like to know what my best set up is and how to get that from TELUS right off the bat. Any advice without breaking any "rules" would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any help you could provide this guy before he goes and cancels his SHAW and goes headfirst into TELUS.

Thanks!

Mark

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

HD uses 5.5Mbit/s, SD uses 3Mbit/s. Usually your line is provisioned at a faster speed than your Internet, so there should be some padding for at least one stream without loss of Internet speed.

We can't really answer any of your other questions, as you don't have active service and you haven't seen if you qualify for TELUS service.

You can't use your own router if you want to use Optik TV, unless the router supports IGMP. You only have the choice of an Actiontec if you are using TTV.
--
The more I C, the less I see.

mdelleman

Langley, BC

@pfak

Thanks for the reply.

I have a Linksys WRT54GL running Tomato FW. From my understanding it supports IGMP.

My reasoning behind bypassing the Actiontec is that I have heard there are speed and reliability issues. Any feedback on that?

I posted my location in the hopes that a tech (you?) or someone in the know would be able to tell me what type of service I would be getting. Telus sales has told me I am able to get 25MBps and the 3 HD boxes. That being said they are in sales so I wanted the real goods from someone who could confirm this to be true.

I know some of my neighbors use the service (Optik and High Speed) but are not as concerned about their internet as I am.

Just want to make sure I know what I am getting into before I step out of what I have.

Tornado15550

join:2012-12-16
Canada

@mdelleman
Using the Actiontec V1000H I have yet to notice any speed/reliability issues. I do get the posted speeds (sometimes even more than that ).
And if there is anything iffy with the router (haven't had anything happen to my router yet), usually a simple reboot fixes it.
Also, if there are any slowdowns, its usually due to network congestion, updates and upgrades, or maintenance.

However, I must let you know that Telus has halved the usage on all of its internet plans. They have also increased prices. Telus tends to increase prices while you are on a contract, which may make it harder for you to switch between providers during such changes.

So, the quality of the internet is great, the router is decent for normal, everyday use (however, in order to access some of the more advanced settings, you may need to install a custom firmware, which can be found on this forum).

pfak
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to mdelleman

It's hit or miss on what you will get, especially living in a rural area of British Columbia.

Additionally, you'll have far more reliability and speed issues using a WRT54GL which wont' be able to handle the packets per second of broadcast IPTV.

I would highly recommend you try out the service using the V1000H before using an alternative router, as you will have to purchase a new one.
--

ruiner

join:2012-03-10
Canada

3 edits
reply to mdelleman

Click for full size
HD streams actually use 5.0 Mbps. I have measured it on my router running iftop on OpenWrt.

If it says you support 3 HD streams, you most likely have extra padding in your connection for ~2 HD streams before you start taking a hit.

You probably can also get a 50/10 Mbps connection for an extra $15/month which usually syncs around 70 Mbps, which means you won't lose any of your internet bandwidth even using 3 HD and 1 SD stream.

Another thing to consider is unless you have an ethernet port near your TVs, the installer will likely hook it up using HPNA over coax. If this is the case, unless you plan on running the lines yourself or buying HPNA adapters you are likely stuck with the Actiontec.

The Actiontec isn't as bad as it is made out to be unless you need DHCP reservations, plus port forwarding/UPnP can be finicky at times as well.

mdelleman

Langley, BC

1 edit
reply to mdelleman

Thanks everyone so far for their responses, much appreciated.

@pfak
Is Langley considered rural? Is there anyway to find out how far the closest Telus box (or node as I understand it) is from me? I'm located about 5 minutes west of Surrey which is the 2nd highest population center in BC. Langley isn't that far down the list either.

Good to know about the WRT54GL. I will try out the Actiontec and see what I get before trying anything else out as you recommend.

@Tornado15550
Like to hear about the speeds you are getting although you are in Calgary so it's hard to compare locations.

Question about the quality of internet - do you find Telus throttles during peak hours? Most of my downloading is done in the evening anyways but curious nonetheless.

I've read about the halving. When I was on Telus internet last they had limits as well but I don't remember any enforcement of them. How is that taken care of now, any idea?

@ruiner
Thanks for the data.

The sales people say I am good with 3 HD boxes. Not sure what the truth is though. How do I find this out? Other than installing the hardware and flicking all 3 boxes on haha.

I have ethernet near the main TV and PVR right where the modem/gateway will be hooked up, the other 2 HD boxes will be on COAX as there are no ethernet lines running to them currently.

EDIT:
Just got a response from a Telus rep I know. Told I have the capability to watch 3 HD and 1 SD at the same time.

Tornado15550

Canada

@mdelleman
I've actually uploaded a YouTube video about a month ago performing a bunch of speed tests. You may access the video here:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8QvQyVtPyI

As the video shows, speeds are quite consistent. They usually range from 10-15mbps for download and 0.90-1.00mbps for upload.
When there is network congestion (around 9pm and later), Telus had once slowed down the speed to as low as 3 Mbps (yes, I've had a speed that low, but it was only for a couple of hours, late at night, and I've had that happen just once or twice).

But usually, during the congestion, I receive speeds of about 9-10mbps, which is still quite decent.

And about the halving, Telus claims that they will not implement UBB (usage based billing) yet. Right now, I can't find anything about what they would bill if you went over the limit, but it was displayed on the old website. I was able to take a screenshot of it a couple months ago. Here you go:

pfak
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to mdelleman

said by mdelleman:

@pfak
Is Langley considered rural? Is there anyway to find out how far the closest Telus box (or node as I understand it) is from me? I'm located about 5 minutes west of Surrey which is the 2nd highest population center in BC. Langley isn't that far down the list either.

I would consider Langely as being rural, as I'm sure TELUS would. The closet TELUS DSLAM means nothing, I have one across the street from my place and yet I have a 1100M loop length.

--

mdelleman

Langley, BC

1 edit

Was planning to do the 36 month contract as they are giving away a TV right now. If I sign up to try the service and later want to hook on for 3 years for the TV I won't be eligible. This is why I am trying to do what I can to make sure I know what I am getting into before jumping in.

@Tornado15550
Thanks for the speedtest video, gives me some idea of stability of speeds. It's been at least 3-4 since being with Telus and I believe we were on 6MBps at that point. Tempted to give Internet 15 a go and bump to 25 if it's too slow for us. Again, really just want to get an idea on the user experience before we make the commitment.

bimmerdriver

join:2010-12-10
Coquitlam, BC
reply to mdelleman

If Telus said you can get HS25 and 3 HD boxes, they must have said that for a reason. If your neighbours are using it and Telus says it's available, what more do you want to know?

pfak
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to mdelleman

said by mdelleman:

Tempted to give Internet 15 a go and bump to 25 if it's too slow for us. Again, really just want to get an idea on the user experience before we make the commitment.

--

mdelleman

Langley, BC
reply to bimmerdriver

Telus has told me many things in the past, many which have not been true. This is why I have come to a forum with a reputation of knowledgeable people that would have past and current experiences to share.

As I said previously some of my neighbors use the service none of which care much about the internet speeds or are as concerned about the quality of the service in general. After poor service in he past I came here to find out how things are now.

@pfak
Thanks again for the advice. Much appreciated.

Tornado15550

Canada
reply to pfak

@pfak
I signed up for Internet 15, and I was put on VDSL2.

pfak
Premium
Vancouver, BC

said by Tornado15550:

@pfak
I signed up for Internet 15, and I was put on VDSL2.

"Might" -- I signed up for Internet 15 and I was put on an ADSL2+ port. YMMV. Why risk it if you don't have to?
--

parrelium

join:2005-07-31
Abbotsford, BC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to Tornado15550

I also put up a youtube video, mine is the optik 50 variety.

I'm, in the suburbs of abbotsford, within 3 or 400 meters (as the crow flies) to the dslam.

Here's the link:

»youtu.be/IEgTGbkAdis

ruiner

join:2012-03-10
Canada
reply to mdelleman

I would be a bit hesitant to believe Tornado was actually suffering from congestion there. Its more likely that it was wireless congestion or interference causing his problem.

I consistently test at 52/11.5 Mbps, and the servers outside of Telus' network are always close to that. When I was on 25/2.5 it was the same story.