All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
shriva
join:2010-08-08
Grand Bay, AL

shriva

Problem: connected but won't load pages after awhile..

On Sprint BYOD plan, 598u modem pluged directly into laptop.

I'm an OTR truck driver, so connect all over the US (48 states) this has been happening everywhere for the last 2 months or so..

Problem:
I connect with Sprint Smartview, it connects and i can open any webpage.. for 5-10 minutes.. then i can no longer open a webpage via new try or hyperlink.
I have to disconnect and reconnect then it opens it right away.

BUT!! If i am connected to a game or watching a video on like hulu it will stay connected JUST to that.. i can continue watching hulu, (as long as i don't try to switch video) even while i can't open a new webpage..

Anyone else ever have this problem? Please help! I am fairly tech friendly and can try anything you tell me!

(off to restart modem before i hit submit so it will go though..ARG! lol)

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

Jot down these urls and the next time it is unable to open any webpage try these and report back if they worked:

http://74.125.225.238
http://18.9.22.69
http://98.138.253.109

httpS://www.google.com
httpS://www.dropcam.com

No idea
@spcsdns.net

No idea to shriva

Anon

to shriva
I'm having the same problem. 10 to 15 minutes of speed that it dies. Disconnect and reconnect and it works again. 10 minutes or so later, again it dies. Pretty maddening. I even purchased a new modem in the hopes of correcting the problem. No luck and wasted the 50 bucks doing the modem switch. I would be interested in any ideas as well
shriva
Grand Bay, AL

shriva to dib22

to dib22
Times out on all those links.. doesn't load any of them..

Tried it while i was watching a hulu video, and then closed the video and tried, still timed out on all.

Disconnected and reconnected and all of them loaded, except one was a 404 on yahoo.. but that was still loading the error page anyway.
shriva

shriva to No idea

to No idea
said by No idea :

I'm having the same problem. 10 to 15 minutes of speed that it dies. Disconnect and reconnect and it works again. 10 minutes or so later, again it dies. Pretty maddening. I even purchased a new modem in the hopes of correcting the problem. No luck and wasted the 50 bucks doing the modem switch. I would be interested in any ideas as well

Do you have the same modem and plan on sprint? and did you switch to a diff modem? or just get a new one of same model?

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to shriva

to shriva
Contact MCom support, they need to troubleshoot it and/or report it to sprint.

It doesn't sound like a DNS server issue (which happens a lot on sprint) since you can't get around by IP address either.

If I was dealing with sprint directly I would have them 'reprovision' the account (rebuild the account in sprints system), not sure if mcom can do that but if they can it would be worth a try.

Good luck!

edit: one thing to try... close sprint's software and connect with the dial up networking connection (windows 7: network and shareing center, show adapters, double click the sprint entry and connect) see if it works properly there... if it does then it might be something happening with the sprint dialer. This is a shot in the dark but worth trying.
shriva
Grand Bay, AL

shriva

tried that also.. connected without smartview, same thing happens..

Saw another post about same problem a guy was having on another forum, and thought it might be a port problem with port 80? i guess he was saying port 80 was where the connection was for webpages but video and my online game use other ports so they still work.. posts stopped before a solution was posted though so no idea if he got it fixed, i'll google more about the ports and see what i can find..

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by shriva:

Saw another post about same problem a guy was having on another forum, and thought it might be a port problem with port 80? i guess he was saying port 80 was where the connection was for webpages but video and my online game use other ports so they still work..

If that was the issue (a cache engine issue) the httpS sites I had above should have loaded (as they are not cached they use port 443)... since they failed as well it could be more.

You could always fire up a VPN service to bypass sprin't cache engines/dns redirtects/routes ... if you don't have one already check out WiTopia they are not that expensive and work pretty well.
shriva
Grand Bay, AL

shriva

I did a complete virus and malware scan, made sure all updates for windows and did a command prompt and flushed the dns and put in the manual ones 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 restarted comp and am seeing how it goes... i'll check into what you posted also, if this doesn't work, i'm going to back everything up and do a total wipe and reinstall of windows and see what happens,

if THAT doesn't work.. i think the only thing left is to contact Millenicom and sprint and see whats up..

Though if i get passed the house or meet another trucker at a stop i'm going to see if i can try the 598u on a diff laptop so i can rule that out if it works longer then 10 minutes..

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by shriva:

I did a complete virus and malware scan, made sure all updates for windows and did a command prompt and flushed the dns and put in the manual ones 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 restarted comp and am seeing how it goes...

Sprint (and most US cell providers) blindly capture your dns requests... so no matter what you set them to, they get re-directed to sprints. This is why it's such an issue when the sprint dns servers fail because it takes down every connection's dns. You can verify for yourself that no matter what you set they end up at sprint by going to the following page, scroll all the way down and click "initiate spoof test". Once the results come back youll see that instead of google, your dns has really been re-directed to sprint.

»www.grc.com/dns/dns.htm

Though if i get passed the house or meet another trucker at a stop i'm going to see if i can try the 598u on a diff laptop so i can rule that out if it works longer then 10 minutes..

Good idea... eliminates the machine, I would do that before re-install
shriva
Grand Bay, AL

shriva

You are correct sir!

First.. still having the problem..

But why would it be doing it just to me and a few others if it was a dns problem? And been having it for like 2 months.. and like i said i am all over the US.. last week i was in southern Cali and now i'm in New Hampshire.. does it everywhere..

So can't i assume its not Tower or DNS related?

Its either got to be my computer or my modem, or my account with mill/sprint?

My modem works fine for first 5-10 mins after a connect or reconnect.. so physically i think it should be fine

I'll have to wait till i can get ahold of another comp to test on to see if its my comp.

I've been with mill/sprint on same plan for like 2 years now.. don't see what setting would be changed there..

I'll be sure to update this post as soon as i can test whatever is next.. just really really frustrating..

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by shriva:

But why would it be doing it just to me and a few others if it was a dns problem? And been having it for like 2 months.. and like i said i am all over the US.. last week i was in southern Cali and now i'm in New Hampshire.. does it everywhere..

So can't i assume its not Tower or DNS related?

Well since going to websites by IP address fails you know its more than just DNS... and since secure websites (https) fail you know there is some issue occurring other than a broken cache engine on their side.

I'll have to wait till i can get ahold of another comp to test on to see if its my comp.

I've been with mill/sprint on same plan for like 2 years now.. don't see what setting would be changed there..

I'll be sure to update this post as soon as i can test whatever is next.. just really really frustrating..

That will really help you narrow it down to the device/account and not the pc...

Not sure that this would let you keep watching a movie (like you are seeing) but usb power save came to mind... I would think it would kill the stream entirely... but worth checking.

Control Panel, Power options, click Change advanced power settings. Expand USB settings, and then expand USB selective suspend setting... make sure it's disabled.

No Idea
@spcsdns.net

No Idea to shriva

Anon

to shriva
On the Sprint BYOD. Went from the 598u to the 3g/4g 250u. Figured something newer would help. No dice. Still have to reconnect every 11 minutes or so.
shriva
Grand Bay, AL

1 edit

1 recommendation

shriva

Did a wipe and fresh install of windows.

Full windows Update.

And its now WORKING! with no problems again! Can stay connected for 10hours no problem and open new pages at any time..

Never figured out what the problem was.. but i'm now ghosting my system every week or so so i don't have to go through a total wipe if it happens again..

I suggest anyone else having this problem to back up EVERYTHING they need (maybe even do a HD image just incase you forget something) and do a total wipe and reinstall, trust me its worth it to be able to stay connected..

EDIT: No Idea, If you do a full wipe and reinstall and get it working right let me know how you like the new modem, i was thinking of getting it myself too..