uniqs
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94

Re: Laptop, who here has knowledge and experience?

Have they not even emailed you a receipt yet? If they are on holiday then you may not get one until they come back. A bit frustrating for sure but you should at least get an emailed receipt. If they don't take their own receipt for service I'd complain LOUDLY all the way to the top until it got fixed. Also, how old was this forum post you read, chances are whatever issue that person had getting service has been fixed.

Regarding your previous post:

You're going to find negative reviews on everything. Some people just love to complain about every little thing. When reading reviews I do tend to hunt out the "bad" reviews but I also look at them objectively and take them with a grain of salt too. Did the person not know what they were doing and blamed it on the device they are reviewing? Those kind of reviews get tossed out in my mind.

The touchpad is an interesting one. My dad had a Toshiba laptop that my GF's daughter now has. I used it about 2 years ago and got tired of the mouse moving randomly while typing (my wrist would brush the touchpad). I turned it off using the button right above the touchpad..... it has yet to turn back on

Any kind of glossy screen or panels will show fingerprints. That's the price you pay for it to be shiny sadly. Some it doesn't bother, others can't stand it. You and I seem to be in the "doesn't bother us" camp lol.

Not sure what to say about the headphone/mic jack. You might be able to use a TRS style plug. Not sure how it would work with the two devices sharing a return path, but it may be a 4 space plug (not sure what those plugs are called but I recall seeing one before). Either way that would qualify as a "dongle" that I would prefer to not need in the first place. Especially if you need said dongle to just use the headphones only (if I can plug in headphones without the dongle and they work, I'd be OK with that).

The HD 4000 GPU is decent for most things. It's capable of blueray playback/HD decoding and can play most non-demanding games at decent frame rates. I would think Portal 2 is in that camp though I've never played it. It's still Source based right? If so I've played HL2 on worse hardware before with no issues.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Ok guys, rather than make a pitifully inadequate and unprofessional review in a new thread, let me talk about my first impressions here.

I am back on my desktop as I type this:

Well, first off, I like the keyboard, so I am relieved about that part, but the touchpad IS a problem. I was told by my therapist of all people that you have to only have one hand laying on the computer when using the pad, and indeed, that seems to be the case. Secondly, I can swipe and swipe and swipe, and it won't respond, and then, finally, it will, its intermittent. A definite bug!

Bluetooth works so far, that is a cool thing to have. At some point I'll have to get stuff FOR this.

Screen is ok, contrast is passable, and it is plenty bright. LED backlights, so hopefully it will stay good for 4 years.

Wireless, so far, is very good as far as signal strength, a LOT stronger than my addon cards on other systems.

The smaller screen is a PITA, but this system is already more bulky than I hoped, so...

One cheesy thing: Little plastic adhesive covers over screws on screen, one stuck to the plastic protector sheet and came off.

It's definitely a no frills but good power system. I'm trying to find out if the upclock works now.

Well, that's enough to say for now...
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune

Premium Member

Run CPU-Z and open up Disk Cleanup in Windows. This will peg one of the logical cores on the CPU, which is a best-case scenario for Turbo Boost. You should see the core speed reading go up to around 3.1 GHz.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to JoelC707

Premium Member

to JoelC707
Ok guys, rather than make a pitifully inadequate and unprofessional review in a new thread, let me talk about my first impressions here.

I am back on my desktop as I type this:

Well, first off, I like the keyboard, so I am relieved about that part, but the touchpad IS a problem. I was told by my therapist of all people that you have to only have one hand laying on the computer when using the pad, and indeed, that seems to be the case. Secondly, I can swipe and swipe and swipe, and it won't respond, and then, finally, it will, its intermittent. A definite bug!

Bluetooth works so far, that is a cool thing to have. At some point I'll have to get stuff FOR this.

Screen is ok, contrast is passable, and it is plenty bright. LED backlights, so hopefully it will stay good for 4 years.

Wireless, so far, is very good as far as signal strength, a LOT stronger than my addon cards on other systems.

The smaller screen is a PITA, but this system is already more bulky than I hoped, so...

One cheesy thing: Little plastic adhesive covers over screws on screen, one stuck to the plastic protector sheet and came off.

It's definitely a no frills but good power system. I'm trying to find out if the upclock works now.

Well, that's enough to say for now...