join:2000-04-10
Richland, WA
·Ziply Fiber

1 recommendation

Jerm to Crookshanks

to Crookshanks
said by Crookshanks:

Better solution: Get a POTS line

BACKLUCK USER - BUYS POTS FOR RELIABILITY - CORDLESS PHONE USELESS DURING POWER OUTAGE ANYWAY

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

1 recommendation

n2jtx to jchambers28

to jchambers28
said by jchambers28:

that will work too

Not in Verizon territory where FiOS is available. My POTS line died during Sandy and Verizon declined to fix it and instead moved me to fiber. Of course that battery lasted about 8 hours when the second storm hit a week later and we lost power again.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to Crookshanks

Premium Member

to Crookshanks
said by Crookshanks:

Except it is cheaper to bundle cable, phone, and Internet in a triple play. If I break the bundle, I end up paying twice as much. Around here, a landline through Verizon costs $65 per month once you factor in the taxes and fees. A triple play costs about $200 and includes the 50/10 Internet, home phone, and all the premiums along with AnyRoom DVR on three TVs.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to Jerm

Premium Member

to Jerm
said by Jerm:

said by Crookshanks:

BACKLUCK USER - BUYS POTS FOR RELIABILITY - CORDLESS PHONE USELESS DURING POWER OUTAGE ANYWAY

I have no problem with my cordless phones during a power outage. They are on a UPS that will supply power for over 20 hours. Just like my ONT is on a UPS that will supply power for over 16 hours before the ONT BBU kicks in.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by aaronwt:

said by Jerm:

said by Crookshanks:

I have no problem with my cordless phones during a power outage. They are on a UPS that will supply power for over 20 hours. Just like my ONT is on a UPS that will supply power for over 16 hours before the ONT BBU kicks in.

My Panasonic cordless phone will function if there is a charged handset on the base when the power goes out. It came with three handsets. I think the cordless phone died before the EMTA died during the October 2011 snowstorm.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to Jerm

to Jerm
Unless your cordless has a backup. I had an old cordless under Ameritech it had a back-up supply option in the base. Was the best phone ever. The great selling point was that it even talked.
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Depends on who you're getting each from. I can get a basic phone line for around $10 before taxes. Bundling by the MSOs is mostly a ploy to get you to have all your services with them. Also your $200 per month bundle is high for most people, especially with 50/10 Internet. I can have bundles had for around $90 and at times lower.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by TBBroadband:

Depends on who you're getting each from. I can get a basic phone line for around $10 before taxes. Bundling by the MSOs is mostly a ploy to get you to have all your services with them. Also your $200 per month bundle is high for most people, especially with 50/10 Internet. I can have bundles had for around $90 and at times lower.

The $200 per month is for all three services (HSI, Phone, and TV) with Comcast and includes two HD boxes and the host DVR. I own the HSI and phone modems. I absolutely must have caller ID so if you buy a basic phone line, then the fee for caller ID will wipe out any savings. I will not answer the phone if it comes from a number or area code I don't recognize. Anything outside of Iowa/Maine/Massachusetts/Connecticut I generally don't answer and let them go to voicemail.

I get all the premium channels and the Sports Entertainment Package so the Xfinity Triple Play premier works for me and that includes the AnyRoom DVR.
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

Except it is cheaper to bundle cable, phone, and Internet in a triple play.

And you pay for that cost savings by having a product that relies on batteries during power outages, or which may not even work at all. Everything is relative.

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to TBBroadband

Premium Member

to TBBroadband
best cordless phone that I had I felt was a sony spp-2010.

Had it for years, came with two batteries (sealed lead). If the power went out, the base unit would use the battery it was charging for power and the cordless used it's battery.

Only was a 47mhz cordless phone though. But as we progress in wi-fi signaling that cordless phone might not be much of a wi-fi threat these days as most wi-fi cards would be out of range.

I thought about buying another one of those if I ever found one again.
XJakeX
join:2005-03-05
Coventry, RI

XJakeX to n2jtx

to n2jtx
said by n2jtx:

said by jchambers28:

that will work too

Not in Verizon territory where FiOS is available. My POTS line died during Sandy and Verizon declined to fix it and instead moved me to fiber. Of course that battery lasted about 8 hours when the second storm hit a week later and we lost power again.

I'm curious about this move to fiber. How did they accomplish that? I would think that fixing the copper line would be easier and quicker to do during an emergency situation than making the switch. Was fiber already on your street? Did they switch you back to POTS eventually?

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx

said by XJakeX:

said by n2jtx:

said by jchambers28:

that will work too

I'm curious about this move to fiber. How did they accomplish that? I would think that fixing the copper line would be easier and quicker to do during an emergency situation than making the switch. Was fiber already on your street? Did they switch you back to POTS eventually?

They had been onto me to try and get me to move my copper line to fiber for quite some time but I there was nothing wrong with it so I ignored their pleas.

Verizon has been on a big push to retire their copper in areas covered by FiOS (lower Manhattan is having all the copper removed that was damaged by Sandy and replaced with fiber). The copper network is much more expensive to maintain and provision than the fiber network. My area was "wired" for FiOS back in 2009 so it was already available. All they did was run a fiber line from the tap to the house, install a transceiver on the outside of the house and a power supply in the basement. They connected the wiring in the NID to the fiber transceiver and provisioned my number to the fiber. The old copper lines are still connected to the house but they are dead. They will not be switching me back to POTS.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I support a POTS sunset as long as those areas are passed by equal or better service (FiOS). Verizon is replacing a lot of their copper lines in Western Mass with copper.

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to Crookshanks

to Crookshanks
people probably would if CROOKS like AT&T didn't want to charge $13 worth of taxes on a 9.95 regular telephone line.......
said by Crookshanks:

BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Agreed. But it would have to be a fully passive system like FIOS with the same uptime requirements at the CO end, diesel on site, etc, so that if you had your own power source, it would work during a power outage. Not like cable, where there are active nodes so when the power goes out, cable is totally hopeless.