Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to egeek84

Re: Question

And what will happen if an EMTA needs to be swapped, will the customer need to buy a new battery. Comcast does use different models of EMTAs from different vendors like Arris (main supplier), Ubee, Thompson, and Cisco. Each model and brand uses a different battery. So if a customer had an Arris EMTA go bad so the tech goes to swap it and all the tech has on his truck is an Ubee, will the customer have to pay for a new battery.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

I have the same question, as I'm actually on my third EMTA from Comcast.

The first actually had a bad battery (would not keep a charge). The 2nd one was a D2 modem, so I swapped it out for my current one, which is a D3 (Arris, Model: TM402P/110).

If I had to pay each time I swapped out their equipment $35 for a battery, that would really piss me off. I'm already paying $7 a month to rent the modem from them. I do that so if anything goes wrong with it, I just swap it out for a new one, and they fix it.

The other question I have has to do with the $5.95 shipping and handling charge. In my specific case, I went down to my local office to swap out my modems. If now after Feb 26th, I have to go down again to swap out my modem, are they going to charge me $5.95 for "Shipping and handling" if I actually go to the local office to pick up the battery?

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

The Arris 402 is D2. The 722 and 822 are D3.

I own a 722 but I use the Motorola SBG 6120 for Internet since the phone comes in through the basement.

flwpwr

@comcast.net
reply to plencnerb

said by plencnerb:

I have the same question, as I'm actually on my third EMTA from Comcast.

The first actually had a bad battery (would not keep a charge). The 2nd one was a D2 modem, so I swapped it out for my current one, which is a D3 (Arris, Model: TM402P/110).

If I had to pay each time I swapped out their equipment $35 for a battery, that would really piss me off. I'm already paying $7 a month to rent the modem from them. I do that so if anything goes wrong with it, I just swap it out for a new one, and they fix it.

The other question I have has to do with the $5.95 shipping and handling charge. In my specific case, I went down to my local office to swap out my modems. If now after Feb 26th, I have to go down again to swap out my modem, are they going to charge me $5.95 for "Shipping and handling" if I actually go to the local office to pick up the battery?

--Brian

No one knows, and at this point this is a rumor. Its not feb 26th and when that day comes and goes and no such policy exists, people who got all mad are going to feel a little foolish.

As I understand it that battery is a requirement for phone service via the FCC for 911 requirements, whether they stated we can or cannot charge for it I have no idea. There may be more to this document than is being posted, or it may be dead on accurate. It may be for meth heads who take and see the batteries and then want new ones to do again and again, it may be for subs who buy their own EMTA and skip on the battery. It may be for everyone leasing or not, it may be for when you return the emta without a battery? Lets wait until the 26th and see what actually happens before we try to get questions answered for something that may just be a figment of someones imagination using dslreport's cable hatred for some sort of cocmastsucks retribution though.