rahlquist
Redeye

join:2001-10-30
Villa Rica, GA
Reviews:
·Charter

Charter Business Class Service

Hello,

Considering jumping to Business Class service but have a couple questions.

Does Charter business level service have a QOS agreement or does it remain best effort like residential service?

With business class service, and running a server on my service, does Charter have any proviso where they cut you off for too much traffic? I believe the residential 250gb cap would go away, would there be any sort of cap?

Thanks!
--
Fed Up With Crummy Cell Coverage?

Please Map Your GSM Coverage! Save someone else some grief!

mj3431

join:2003-04-21
STL, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
I don't think you'll have a QoS agreement, but when I had business service I always got at least my provisioned speed. Any time you have an issue you get to call support and get an American that won't give you the run around. That's what I miss the most when I went back to residential.

Ran a server at home with not ever a question, and there are no caps.

zed260
Premium
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN
reply to rahlquist
well your traffic is givin higher priorty assuming your on a congested node that is

DA

join:2002-04-13
Greenville, SC
reply to rahlquist
At the risk of hijacking your thread I noticed that I can get 30 meg internet and my same TV package under business for less than I can with residential service. Shouldn't it be the opposite?!

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
Business class used to be way higher than residential. Don't know what Charter is using for logic or what trickery they may be up to on that one?

Running a server with business class used to be one of the perks for that option, I think. No caps on business.

said by mj3431:

I don't think you'll have a QoS agreement, but when I had business service I always got at least my provisioned speed. Any time you have an issue you get to call support and get an American that won't give you the run around. That's what I miss the most when I went back to residential.

Ran a server at home with not ever a question, and there are no caps.

Always tripped me out on that one. Any time you have an issue you got an American and preferential treatment.

How about Charter just make their stuff run right, and you wouldn't need support at all, or so regularly? Hardly worth paying extra for!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

guestguest

@rr.com
reply to rahlquist
Hi,

Charter does not currently offer QOS. Their coax service is best effort.

They do, however, offer a fiber optic service with a service level agreement. I recommend working with a local account executive for pricing and plans.

zed260
Premium
Cleveland, TN
Reviews:
·Charter
said by guestguest :

Hi,

Charter does not currently offer QOS. Their coax service is best effort.

They do, however, offer a fiber optic service with a service level agreement. I recommend working with a local account executive for pricing and plans.

in congested nodes charter has and does throtle resdential customers before bussnuss i know techs have told me before that if a bussnuss customer needs the bandwith and has 100 meg package its configured to thortle the speeds of all resedential customers on that node to 5 meg to allow for that 100 meg speed of needed

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
reply to rahlquist
WHY would anyone need to be using 100mbps of bandwidth, period?

DaSneaky1D
what's up
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou
What do you use your Inet service for?
Expand your moderator at work

cork1958
Cork
Premium

2 edits
reply to compuguybna

Re: Charter Business Class Service

said by compuguybna:

Oh man!

That sounds like some redundant question that I would be asking, and taking heat for!!

To be honest and this is only my opinion, I have no clue, except for those are the people that need to go outside and kick a ball around!!

Edited:
To much off topic!

technologiq

join:2000-08-08
Reno, NV
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to rahlquist
I have 3 offices that all have Charter business service.

2 of the offices have nominal usage. Our main office however moves a lot of data. We've moved as much as 7TB in one month with backing large amounts of data to Amazon Glacier and charter hasn't said anything.

I have the 100Mbit service at home and there have been a few months where I have exceeded 1TB in usage and Charter hasn't sent me anything. That said however those months usually weren't in a row and were significantly higher than my average usage (about 500-600GB/mo)

crazyk4952
Premium
join:2002-02-04
united state
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric
reply to compuguybna
said by compuguybna:

Well, who needs internet, anyway? The point is, if you are paying for 100Mb speeds, then Charter should be able to provide you with close to that speed most of the time.

mpsimpson
Premium
join:2005-02-02
Tunnel Hill, GA
reply to rahlquist
Has anyone that switched from residential to business seen better routing and latency?

Sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread, didn't see the need to make a new thread just to ask this.

zed260
Premium
Cleveland, TN
Reviews:
·Charter
said by mpsimpson:

Has anyone that switched from residential to business seen better routing and latency?

Sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread, didn't see the need to make a new thread just to ask this.

my pings to most sites went down around 5 ms vs resdential

Double OH 7

join:2009-10-19
said by zed260:

said by mpsimpson:

Noticed anything else? Do any gaming?

I'm about to contact charter to get another connection installed at my house ( I live with my parents, while I'm going to college and I'm having problems with their charter connection) and I'm debating if I want to go 100/5 residential or 50/5 businesses.

zed260
Premium
Cleveland, TN
Reviews:
·Charter
said by Double OH 7:

said by zed260:

said by mpsimpson:

Noticed anything else? Do any gaming?

I'm about to contact charter to get another connection installed at my house ( I live with my parents, while I'm going to college and I'm having problems with their charter connection) and I'm debating if I want to go 100/5 residential or 50/5 businesses.

well both are about the same all being equil id say 50/5 would be better since you have option of multiple ips so you wouldnt have type 2 nat when gaming "you get type one nat" on ps3 etc which is vary usefull

Double OH 7

join:2009-10-19
said by zed260:

well both are about the same all being equil id say 50/5 would be better since you have option of multiple ips so you wouldnt have type 2 nat when gaming "you get type one nat" on ps3 etc which is vary usefull

Yeah, that was my problem. I had a sibling drop out of college and come back home to live. Problem is when they play their game or leave it on all day I am unable to play mine properly.

I currently pay my folks the difference for the 100/5 R package. And figured I would just get my own business connection and they could drop theirs down to 30. But, I have been thinking since I really have no need for multiple IPs it would be better to go 100/5 R. But, the fact that business doesn't have caps is a good perk I guess.

Noticed more stability during peak hours?

zed260
Premium
Cleveland, TN
Reviews:
·Charter
said by Double OH 7:

said by zed260:

Yeah, that was my problem. I had a sibling drop out of college and come back home to live. Problem is when they play their game or leave it on all day I am unable to play mine properly.

I currently pay my folks the difference for the 100/5 R package. And figured I would just get my own business connection and they could drop theirs down to 30. But, I have been thinking since I really have no need for multiple IPs it would be better to go 100/5 R. But, the fact that business doesn't have caps is a good perk I guess.

Noticed more stability during peak hours?

yeah the speeds are always at or above advertised even during peak

cork1958
Cork
Premium
reply to crazyk4952
said by crazyk4952:

said by compuguybna:

Well, who needs internet, anyway? The point is, if you are paying for 100Mb speeds, then Charter should be able to provide you with close to that speed most of the time.

Close to and most of the time?

If I'm paying THAT kind of money to a company for something to work, it BETTER work that way ALL the time, unless I'm notified of something happening in advance.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/