·Charter

[Help] BSOD's over the last two days

download021213-17472···.dmp.zip 35,545 bytes
dmp file for 12th
download021413-16816···.dmp.zip 52,363 bytes
1st dmp file for today
download021413-14508···.dmp.zip 31,713 bytes
2nd dmp file for today

The last two days, specifically on the 12th and 14th I have had three BSOD's. One on the 12th and two today, these seem to be happening as I try to backup one external HDD to another external HDD across USB. The target drive is a WD Elements 1TB and the source drive is a 4TB WD My Book. I am using the full version of Acronis 2011. The dmp files are attached, I appreciate any help.

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2
For future reference, you should probably have posted this in the MicroSoft forum.

Anyway, I looked at all 3 dumps and they all show the same error:

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE caught buy the ntoskrnl.exe. Unfortunately the specific driver wasn't caught in the dumps. You should look in the event viewer just prior to the crashes to see if anything happened just prior to the crashes.

And just out of my own curiosity, are you using external power for both of those USB drives?

george357
Premium
join:2009-09-18
Weaverville, NC
kudos:1
Thanks for the heads-up on posting location!

I do have both of the USB drives plugged into their own power source. I'll look at the viewer and see if there is anything noticeable.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
»www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

if interested.

Anything in the windows event log?

auggy
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON
kudos:18

1 recommendation

reply to george357
The problem appears to be with the RtsUStor.sys:

BUCKET_ID: X64_0x9F_3_IMAGE_RtsUStor.sys

The RtsUStor.sys, which is dated Oct 27, 2010, is the Realtek card reader driver.

What you could try is to install the Realtek card reader driver from the following link for the laptop:

»support.acer.com/product/default···lId=2468

The driver appear to be an older version but may work better.

george357
Premium
Weaverville, NC
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to george357
Sorry for the delay in following up this post!

Mike: I have the blue Screen Viewer but not sure I understand everything I see there so I figured those here may see something that I am likely to miss. Thanks

auggy: Thanks for the info, your post caused me to realize that I had a SD card in my reader which I have taken out (wasn't being used for anything). I am not sure this had anything to do with the issue but I am going to get that driver you reference. Thanks

Event viewer does not show anything that I can determine that would have caused the issue or was part of the BSOD. It just references mundane events such as services starting or stopping and other basic information.

I want to thank all those that have commented, and if anyone else sees something that may have been missed please let me know.
--
malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium

Cancer Cures Are Just A Crunch Away

auggy
Premium,Mod
Brockville, ON
Having the SD card in the reader may cause the RtsUStor.sys to be "loaded" where otherwise it may not be.

If problems persist you could also try Realtek for the most recent driver for the reader:

»www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow···wn=false

The card reader should be identified in the Device Manager.

george357
Premium
Weaverville, NC
Thanks for the follow up info, auggy! I plan on trying the backup again, since it happened all three time in relation to that, to see if it triggers the same issue and go from there.

auggy
Premium,Mod
Brockville, ON

1 recommendation

Thanks for the follow-up, and good luck!