how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
kaila

join:2000-10-11
Lincolnshire, IL

Out of curiosity.......

Is there anything left that Comcast leaves in a customers home (outside of the connectors and cable drop) that they don't charge for? Otherwise, it seems they've closed the loop on monetizing premises equipment.

And without knowing the specs, it might be better to go with a third-party UPS.
Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Re: Out of curiosity.......

Not real sure what your problem is with this.

My car manufacturer doesnt replace my battery free, nor does my cell phone provider or any of those toys that come with batteries I have bought for my kids or my nieces and nephews.

Batteries are a consumable, you should full expect to replace them when they have been consumed.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

Difference here is ownership. I own the car so should be 100% responsible for the maintenance cost. Comcast owns the modem, I am just renting it from them.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Point taken, as I was not aware of that.

I would agree if you do not own the modem they should be responsible for it through the lease/rental agreement that they maintain the equipment and not consumer.

However, I am sure they will update their agreements to exclude the battery from their part. It is less service and really that is the business model that all companies are going to. We do less, but you pay us more because that is how we like it.

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21
Premium
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·AT&T DSL Service

1 edit

Im sure they will Skippy ( update there agreement) The problem with comcast is if you want there home Internet service you can rent or purchase a modem on your own. However if you want there Xfinity voice ( a pretty name for VOIP) you MUST rent a digital voice adapter ( some have Internet modems built in). Bottom line is your forced to rent it for $7 a month and now they want to charge for a battery, thats just greedy.

I purchase a APC 550va a year ago at black friday for $25 and thats enough to keep the cordless phone and the Comcast digital voice ata going for up to 24 hrs, comcast can keep there backup battery.
lancguy

join:2012-03-25
Lancaster, PA

Actually, you are incorrect. the only time you must go with comcast's equipment is if you get the 105 or 300 meg internet service. You can go to best buy, wal-mart, newegg whereever to buy a modem or emta. Comcast opened up to customer owned emta's about a year ago.

also, what good is phone service when your cordless phone is dead since it has no power on the base unit?
waycoolphil

join:2000-09-22
Cathedral City, CA

The base station of my Uniden cordless system has a traditional phone receiver at the side of it and it works for both incoming and outgoing calls on a POTS line during a power outage.

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21
Premium
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·AT&T DSL Service
said by lancguy:

Comcast opened up to customer owned emta's about a year ago.

Show me that in writing and show me your bill I'll show you mine as I was just re-rated for comcast digital voice in dec 2012 ( retention dept) and asked if I could finally have provisioned my original arris box I paid for 2 yrs ago thats sitting in the closet collecting dust ( exact same model as comcasts equipment) and they said NO .

Show me that in there TOS and Ill be making a call to them tomorrow for months of over billing.

Anubis Prime

join:2001-06-01
Pittsburgh, PA
If you recall--traditional over the copper phone line phone service is nearly perfect in reliability. Your corded phone is powered by the phone line itself. Even if your residential power goes out your copper phone line with your simple $9 corded phone will work. The number buttons will light up for you and everything.

...and these companies (Verizon and Comcast, et.al) want you to CUT the copper and go to their great services. Now when they can't live up to the reliability standards that classic service provides, they put the burden of reliability on US---the stupid users, the suckers, the sheep.

They can keep their phone service.
--
Give me Liberty, or I'll give you death!
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
and they can pull the TWC option and just tell you they do not provide batteries and even put it on all marketing and legal material and disclaimers.
kaila

join:2000-10-11
Lincolnshire, IL
No problem really, just a question based on observations lately.

Replacement batteries? Even if it's leased, I get that replacement batteries are a customer expense- barring defects. Removing the battery while adding it as a cost option for new installs? Not so much.
rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
I don't think this is a monthly fee. They are just saying "batteries not included", aren't they? And $35 for a battery doesn't sound like they are stiffing anyone. I have a UPS that takes two 12V $25 NiMh batteries and provides about 25 minutes of backup time for a typical desktop computer (with monitor). $35 for a battery seems reasonable.

FireJackal

@rr.com

Bullshit,

The damm thing comes from the manufacturer with a batter (trust me on this). All Comcast is doing is removing the battery from the install and trying to charge for something that already comes with the damm product.
rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

After a few years the battery probably goes bad and might be a hazard if not replaced. Better to remove it rather than incur those costs every 2-3 years per customer. Besides, most folks probably don't know POTS still works when the power goes out. (Who has corded phones these days?) If that's the case, they don't know their cable ATA still works either and maintaining the batteries is probably a huge PITA for Comcast. I have Charter's terminal. Looks like a cable modem with a Telco jack. No battery, no rental fee and I didn't have to purchase it.