Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

south1178
Premium
join:2001-12-17
Cleveland, OH

Old Hard drives

What do you guys do with them? I have a newer 36GB Raptor drive made in 2005 and a bunch of other IDE drives ranging from 30GB's to 120GB's.

Morfein

join:2004-09-08
Avon, IN

Drill a hole in them and recycle if possible...

south1178
Premium
Cleveland, OH
reply to south1178

They've already been wiped so drilling would be pointless.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to south1178

You might consider selling them to one of the following places:

»www.hddzone.com/
»www.onepcbsolution.com/
»www.harddrivepcb.com/
»www.hdd-parts.com/

...that is, if they want them. Else, try eBay for a month or so. If they don't sell, do not throw them in the trash -- take them to a electronics recycling plant for proper disposal. There are lots of places probably local to you that do this -- some cost money to use, but some others, including some online (which you can mail items to in a box) -- will do it for free.

If you sell them, you need to provide people the following facts:

1. How many power-on hours each drive has logged (used longer = should sell for a lower price),
2. Exact drive model string, as well as manufacturing date (sometimes just a number, other times an actual date),
3. Any anomalies shown via SMART (particularly reallocated LBAs or other issues).

I keep track of my drives using a series of XML files and some PHP scripts I wrote. Those are the types of details you need to provide.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

sbconslt

join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA

1 recommendation

reply to south1178

Craigslist. Where you will find buyers that are not even remotely as discriminating or knowledgeable as koitsu. But be as complete as possible with the details anyway, and guarantee whatever you're selling is in perfect working order. It will be more likely to sell.
--
Scott Brown Consulting

MineCoast
Premium
join:2004-10-06
reply to south1178

Use them. I would say at least half of the systems I own use IDE drives.

south1178
Premium
Cleveland, OH
reply to south1178

I started gathering size, manufacture date, etc. I didn't even think of the SMART attributes.

I'd use them if I could but they don't fit into my laptops very well.

RWild
Them Or Us
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Cary, NC

said by south1178:

I'd use them if I could but they don't fit into my laptops very well.

What about putting them in one or more enclosures and using as external drives?

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

I do that with an old 80GB ide drive only as I have an old ide enclosure, but if you need to backup large amounts of data sata drives are better, otherwise the flash drives are generally better than ide drives these days too for portability. With how old many ide drives are, their reliability should be in question.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.