uniqs

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua

Premium Member

Hewlett-Packard to roll out high-end Android tablet

Hewlett-Packard is reportedly working on a high-end tablet that would run on Google's Android operating system.

A report this week by ReadWrite.com says HP has been putting together a new tablet since before Thanksgiving, and it could be nearing an official announcement for the device.

The report, which cites two unnamed sources, is thin on details but says the rumored Android tablet would run on an NVIDIA Tegra 4 chip and could be announced after the Mobile World Congress conference in late February.

HP has continued to lead in PC sales, but it has largely been absent from the tablet market. When asked about the rumored device, HP declined to comment.

Although HP has traditionally made products that work with Microsoft's software, an Android tablet would be the second time the company teams up with Google for a major project.

This month, HP announced its first Chromebook, which are laptops that use Google's Chrome OS operating system.

Here view in Private Browsing mode.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

The touchpad was originally designed to be an Android device.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to Boricua

MVM

to Boricua
I expected HP to be both in the Win 8 and Android markets with tablets sooner or later.

The touchpad was a good effort, but it would have been more successful in sales had it run android.

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

1 recommendation

AVD

Premium Member

said by PeteC2:

The touchpad was a good effort, but it would have been more successful in sales had it run android.

or priced $300 lower.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to Boricua

MVM

to Boricua
Not exactly a high-end Android tablet but its something,...

HP to make $169 Android tablet, eschewing Windows

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

I don't understand why you can't buy the hardware and put whatever OS you want on it.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

said by AVD:

I don't understand why you can't buy the hardware and put whatever OS you want on it.

Perhaps that day is coming in an official capacity one day soon:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· cj7FdIYA

»www.pcper.com/news/Mobil ··· rtphones

I kind of like the idea of having the ability to install an OS that is fast, light, well supported and has lots of apps even on hardware that is no longer supported by the manufacturer. So for example, lets say Apple no longer wants to support a first gen iPod Touch or first gen iPad,....just install a different OS.

Such an OS could actually force companies to support hardware longer or risk loosing market share,....even on their own hardware,.....
Octavean

Octavean to Boricua

MVM

to Boricua
HP Slate 7 Hands-On Preview

»www.tabletpcreview.com/d ··· _MWC2013

HP Slate 7 Android Tablet Still On Schedule to Launch in April

»www.tabletpcreview.com/d ··· ase-Date

»www8.hp.com/us/en/ad/sla ··· let.html

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua

Premium Member

said by Octavean:

What I don't understand is why HP didn't do more for the TouchPad. They put this out, and people probably won't forget the debacle with the TP.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

It's a different HP. Different CEO, different approach.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

1 edit

Octavean to Boricua

MVM

to Boricua
said by Boricua:

said by Octavean:

What I don't understand is why HP didn't do more for the TouchPad. They put this out, and people probably won't forget the debacle with the TP.

I like WebOS but the writing was on the wall especially so in todays market.

Android is a safe bet.

***edit***

I'll also add this article as food for thought:
quote:
Prices of Windows RT tablets drop, point to failure of OS

Asus’ VivoTab RT, which is largely sold through retailers, is being offered by Amazon.com for $382 with 32GB of storage, which is a heavy discount from the $599 launch price. Retailers like Best Buy, Staples and Office Depot have also dropped the price of the tablet by $50, now selling it for $549.

Newegg is listing VivoTab RT as having been discontinued. Asus did not respond to a request to comment on whether the company was still offering the tablet....

quote:
PC and chip makers have acknowledged poor adoption of the operating system. Nvidia’s CEO, Jen-Hsun Huang, last month said he was disappointed with the poor response to Windows RT, and Acer executives have said that Microsoft needs to improve the usability of RT.

Prices usually drop if products are made in volume, or if there is poor demand, said Jack Gold, principal analyst at J. Gold Associates.

“I think you’re seeing discounting based on user demand. I never thought RT was going to be that successful,” Gold said.

»www.pcworld.com/article/ ··· -os.html

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to AVD

MVM

to AVD
said by AVD:

My HTC HD2 phone could run Windows Mobile, Windows Phone, Android (pretty much any flavor), MeeGo, Ubuntu, pretty much everything but Apple (why would you want that). Its simply a legendary piece of hardware.

»forum.xda-developers.com ··· hp?f=531

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

said by Link Logger:

said by AVD:

My HTC HD2 phone could run Windows Mobile, Windows Phone, Android (pretty much any flavor), MeeGo, Ubuntu, pretty much everything but Apple (why would you want that). Its simply a legendary piece of hardware.

»forum.xda-developers.com ··· hp?f=531

I wish all such devices were like that,.....put whatever OS you want on it,.....