bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

Tx

Premium Member

Cruise line dead in the water

»www.cbc.ca/news/world/st ··· val.html

Is it just me or do you find people so pampered these days? The ship is dead in the water and people are saying it's a nightmare and this was a "Live altering time her their lives"

Are you kidding me? I understand it sucks but this isn't a national disaster, it's a cruise line that had an engine fire. Shit happens. Everyone was refunded, $500 on top of the refund plus discounts for a future cruise.

People are talking like 4000 are starving.

No one can even do basic survival 101 on a freakin cruise liner.

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs

said by Tx:

»www.cbc.ca/news/world/st ··· val.html

Is it just me or do you find people so pampered these days? The ship is dead in the water and people are saying it's a nightmare and this was a "Live altering time her their lives"

Are you kidding me? I understand it sucks but this isn't a national disaster, it's a cruise line that had an engine fire. Shit happens. Everyone was refunded, $500 on top of the refund plus discounts for a future cruise.

People are talking like 4000 are starving.

No one can even do basic survival 101 on a freakin cruise liner.

really? Did you even the read the details from your link?
SHit happens but not shit in bag...

"There's poop and urine all along the floor," Renee Shanar, of Houston, said from her cellphone aboard the ship. "The floor is flooded with sewer water ... and we had to poop in bags."

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

Guspaz to Tx

MVM

to Tx
Right, because wading around in human filth for days on end with little food is such a pleasant way to spend a vacation.

If you think spending a few days living in a sewage drain would be so wonderful, perhaps you could take your next vacation in one. I think this definitely qualifies as a nightmare for those involved.

Tx
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Tx to loosedobbs

Premium Member

to loosedobbs
lmao yes i read it. Life altering? Give me a break.
Tx

Tx to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Right, because wading around in human filth for days on end with little food is such a pleasant way to spend a vacation.

If you think spending a few days living in a sewage drain would be so wonderful, perhaps you could take your next vacation in one. I think this definitely qualifies as a nightmare for those involved.

Again, it's not life altering. Point is, shit happens unfortunately no one can predict this. I don' disagree that it's a nightmare, it's not life altering.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to Tx

to Tx
It's all relative. To some in third world countries that cruise ship would be heaven as they rummage through garbage dumps daily for food.

I say pampered.

loosedobbs
Toronto

loosedobbs to Tx

to Tx
said by Tx:

lmao yes i read it. Life altering? Give me a break.

lmao. They are asking everyone to enjoy vacation in shit...as in you link.

I assume you are watching CNN which has been covering this 24-7.
So I can understand your anger.

Tx
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Tx to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

It's all relative. To some in third world countries that cruise ship would be heaven as they rummage through garbage dumps daily for food.

I say pampered.

That's pretty much all i'm getting at. It's an unfortunate situation. Vacation = luxury many do not get. Being stuck on a boat dead in the water, there is NOTHING anyone can do. Make do but it's not going to ruin your life. Smell may stink from the sewage but you'll live to see tomorrow.

It's an experience for sure. A nightmare for some, a luxury many do not get but i find the part that bugged me was the life altering bit.

If this is enough to change who you are or whatever, then what on earth are people going to do if we ever go to war or are attacked? Call me whatever you like. I've been to war (conflict many would say), i've been in a plane crash which were far more life altering then a boat dead in the water.

People will live to see tomorrow, be happy with that. Screw vacation, screw money. None of that matters as long as people are ok.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

I get the same impression reading TripAdvisor. Reviews about how horrific the resort was because they saw a frog on their balcony or some other ridiculous BS.

Tx
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Tx

Premium Member

lmao!!. I had a peek at some of those last time i went down to Florida 2 years ago. Kinda laughed at some of the 'horrific' experiences.

frog on the balcony haha
dragonfly5
join:2012-09-04

dragonfly5 to Tx

to Tx
Are they getting compensated for wasted vac days from work, too? Didn't think so. I'd sue.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

1 recommendation

urbanriot to Tx

Premium Member

to Tx
The CBC article is the first I heard of feces on the ground and sewer water flooding the floors. The news reports I'd heard referred to this as more of a delay than a 'horrible situation'

I'm guessing there's a lot of BS exaggeration, when you read stuff like this:
quote:
"She was hysterical, crying hysterically. She was scared. She don't know what was going to happen next," Mary Poret said. "And what broke my heart the very most was her saying, 'Mommy, I don't know if I'll ever see you again,' and that's really hard to hear from your 12-year-old daughter."
... never going to see your 12 year old daughter again, because you're delayed for 5 days? Fucksakes.
quote:
"I just had a crab sandwich with lobster for lunch because they are finishing off all the food," said Ed Buck, who was staying on an upper floor. "Life is good. People are very excited right now. We're getting back. You know, I think the media's made a lot of -- made it sound real bad. It's not quite as bad as everybody says."
From what I've heard on the news, the waste situation was caused by a few backed up toilets that, when the boat was listing, floated across the floor. Still gross.

Tx
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Tx to dragonfly5

Premium Member

to dragonfly5
said by dragonfly5:

Are they getting compensated for wasted vac days from work, too? Didn't think so. I'd sue.

I'm so very sorry that lost vacation days altered your life from this day forward.

ANd people say Teksavvy customers have a sense of entitlement? Things happen in life people, that's life. Engines fail, fires happen.

I was visiting Kansas few years back and a tornado ripped through the small town i was staying in with family. WHo do i sue for ruining my 4 week vacation?

Man, no ill-feelings towards you but it's life. Shit happens, we can't predict the future. I wish we could sometimes.

loosedobbs
Toronto

loosedobbs to dragonfly5

to dragonfly5
said by dragonfly5:

Its US of A so it is going to be very soon.

Tx
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Tx to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

The CBC article is the first I heard of feces on the ground and sewer water flooding the floors. The news reports I'd heard referred to this as more of a delay than a 'horrible situation'

I'm guessing there's a lot of BS exaggeration, when you read stuff like this:

quote:
"She was hysterical, crying hysterically. She was scared. She don't know what was going to happen next," Mary Poret said. "And what broke my heart the very most was her saying, 'Mommy, I don't know if I'll ever see you again,' and that's really hard to hear from your 12-year-old daughter."
... never going to see your 12 year old daughter again, because you're delayed for 5 days? Fucksakes.
quote:
"I just had a crab sandwich with lobster for lunch because they are finishing off all the food," said Ed Buck, who was staying on an upper floor. "Life is good. People are very excited right now. We're getting back. You know, I think the media's made a lot of -- made it sound real bad. It's not quite as bad as everybody says."
From what I've heard on the news, the waste situation was caused by a few backed up toilets that, when the boat was listing, floated across the floor. Still gross.

Where were these quotes? I only seen the CBC article. I've stayed away from the star since the new site sucks. You can tell a lot of the life altering stuff is exaggerated stuff. Absolutely gross to walk around in shit.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to Tx

Premium Member

to Tx
Everything is centralized, food is prepared and cooked onboard, and that is hard to do without power. The fact they can't even make half the toilets work kinds of shows you how utterly interconnected and fallible these systems are once one resource (power) is lost. Remember these ships aren’t registered in the USA; the cruse lines use some 3rd world country which has much lower regulations and standards. In this case the cruise line also hoped to drag the ship over to Mexico (cheap labour!!) for repairs, which probably cost more time. The rescue was botched as well but that does fit into the ‘shit happens’ file.

As for the passengers, well, people are ignorant of the things that keep them warm, fed and happy; they don’t care about how their steak was made; only how well it was cooked. Look at the visa failure a few weeks back, the gas station I was at was full of mad people incapable of solving a simple problem of how to pay for gas and coffee. People expect technology to work, not to fail.

Actually it would make a good experiment in human behaviour, send people on a cruise, arrange a problem that removes power, and watch civilization decay in a matter of hours. Rationality disappears along with calm, everyone gets angry, upset and emotional, authority breaks down, tribalism and gangs take over as the remaining resources dwindle.

In a week cannibalism would break out.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to Tx

Premium Member

to Tx
Cruises are very expensive. Being left in sweltering heat, onion sandwiches, in the rain at night and shit and vomit all around you is hardly pampered. I'm pretty sure if you were on that cruise you'd be angry as hell...a refund plus $500 is a joke, first, they shouldn't have to pay for a vacation that never happened and $500 doesn't cover your wages for the vacation you just lost. And BTW; no one has been refunded because they're still out in the Gulf of Mexico standing in shit and urine and vomiting over each other, and on a good day, they are getting onion sandwiches and warm water.

Now...I do question why the ship and the ships owner is so unprepared. I have to wonder why no back-up generators. Why no emergency food rations. Why no special toilets to handle these types of emergencies.

And unlike people in 3rd world countries, they simply have no escape. No where to walk. No where to go, other than stand in someone else's shit on a different floor. Places like Zimbabwe don't have the comforts of cold clean water and 1/10 decent food, but at least they can bury their shit, have a roof over their head at night, and have rice for dinner and walk a little.

People should learn though, cruises are high risk vacations. If crap happens you're toast. That's why I usually stick to well known and reliable stuff.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot to Tx

Premium Member

to Tx
said by Tx:

Where were these quotes? I only seen the CBC article. I've stayed away from the star since the new site sucks. You can tell a lot of the life altering stuff is exaggerated stuff. Absolutely gross to walk around in shit.

Those quotes I found on CNN, was hard to find anything about the toilet spillage.

Tx
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Tx to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
said by Thane_Bitter:

Everything is centralized, food is prepared and cooked onboard, and that is hard to do without power. The fact they can't even make half the toilets work kinds of shows you how utterly interconnected and fallible these systems are once one resource (power) is lost. Remember these ships aren’t registered in the USA; the cruse lines use some 3rd world country which has much lower regulations and standards. In this case the cruise line also hoped to drag the ship over to Mexico (cheap labour!!) for repairs, which probably cost more time. The rescue was botched as well but that does fit into the ‘shit happens’ file.

As for the passengers, well, people are ignorant of the things that keep them warm, fed and happy; they don’t care about how their steak was made; only how well it was cooked. Look at the visa failure a few weeks back, the gas station I was at was full of mad people incapable of solving a simple problem of how to pay for gas and coffee. People expect technology to work, not to fail.

Actually it would make a good experiment in human behaviour, send people on a cruise, arrange a problem that removes power, and watch civilization decay in a matter of hours. Rationality disappears along with calm, everyone gets angry, upset and emotional, authority breaks down, tribalism and gangs take over as the remaining resources dwindle.

In a week cannibalism would break out.

Funny you mention the visa issue.. I was also at a petro canada and wow, i thought the world was coming to an end. I love your idea, great for reality tv. I'd tune in.

You give too much credit giving people a week :P
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to loosedobbs

Premium Member

to loosedobbs
said by loosedobbs:

I assume you are watching CNN which has been covering this 24-7.

Of course CNN is covering this 24/7, rather than covering real issues. CNN long ceased to be a news organization. It's now an infotainment channel.
MaynardKrebs

MaynardKrebs to Tx

Premium Member

to Tx
said by Tx:

I was visiting Kansas few years back and a tornado ripped through the small town i was staying in with family. WHo do i sue for ruining my 4 week vacation?

God, and his self-described earthly representatives - all the churches.

Tx
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Tx to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
said by J E F F4:

Cruises are very expensive. Being left in sweltering heat, onion sandwiches, in the rain at night and shit and vomit all around you is hardly pampered. I'm pretty sure if you were on that cruise you'd be angry as hell...a refund plus $500 is a joke, first, they shouldn't have to pay for a vacation that never happened and $500 doesn't cover your wages for the vacation you just lost. And BTW; no one has been refunded because they're still out in the Gulf of Mexico standing in shit and urine and vomiting over each other, and on a good day, they are getting onion sandwiches and warm water.

Sorry bud, but i've been in far worse in my many years of life. Being stranded at sea for a few days isn't and would not be one of them. It's things like this that i call double standard.

People expect patience when it comes to your DSL being hooked up but no one has any understanding or patience when it comes to a rescue. Botched or not, it's the type of thing in life that just happens. Being stuck in the rain? Poor people. The skin melt off most of them? Go talk to our homeless in Toronto and talk about life altering living on the streets.

Lost pay for the vacation? Most places at least where i've worked provide vacation pay or paid vacation. Myself right now where i work i'm salaried so i get paid on vacation but no specific vacation pay. Where exactly do people go and 'sue' as one user said when a tornado blasts through? I mean really we're arguing the luxury of a vacation vs living to see tomorrow.

People need to live through a war or be in war or deployed to understand what hardship is and life altering events are.

I'm not arguing this sucks and could be considered a nightmare to some but now that i've been reading the CNN articles, go read those lol.. Not the end of the world if you ask me. People are even using "valentines day" as the reason why they're pissed. This is pampered that they have to find a reason to be pissed rather then make do with what the unfortunate and unforeseen circumstances are.

On a side note, i will agree i've read some crap on the CEO of carnival and scum isn't even the word for it.
Tx

Tx to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

said by Tx:

God, and his self-described earthly representatives - all the churches.

You don't happen to have his number by chance?

WaitForGodot
join:2009-01-07

1 recommendation

WaitForGodot to Tx

to Tx
said by Tx:

said by peterboro:

I say pampered.

That's pretty much all i'm getting at. It's an unfortunate situation. Vacation = luxury many do not get. Being stuck on a boat dead in the water, there is NOTHING anyone can do. Make do but it's not going to ruin your life. Smell may stink from the sewage but you'll live to see tomorrow.

It's an experience for sure. A nightmare for some, a luxury many do not get but i find the part that bugged me was the life altering bit.

If this is enough to change who you are or whatever, then what on earth are people going to do if we ever go to war or are attacked? Call me whatever you like. I've been to war (conflict many would say), i've been in a plane crash which were far more life altering then a boat dead in the water.

People will live to see tomorrow, be happy with that. Screw vacation, screw money. None of that matters as long as people are ok.

I completely agree with @Tx. People have to learn to put things in perspective. Tornado, war, crash, and other natural calamities are definitely LIFE ALTERING. A bad experience, in no way qualifies or is of the same magnitude as the above.

Yes there are health risks, there is lost vacation, especially since you paid for a wonderful vacation with your hard earned money.

BUT everything is relative. Just blowing it out of proportion garners very little sympathy.

-----
BTW: Carnival Cruise has some recent history with "issues"
- 2010 the Carnival Splendor was stranded off the coast of Mexico after an engine room fire
- January 2012, the Costa Concordia partially sank off the cost of Italy, killing 30 people
- 2013 now this Carnival Triumph
I personally would not touch Carnival Cruise with a ten foot barge pole after that.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Tx

MVM

to Tx
Even long before then, back when my family was taking cruises as our annual vacation (back when I was a student and could afford to do that with my parents), we definitely knew to avoid Carnival because they were the bargain basement cruise line that always had problems. Even when everything else went fine, they were having problems with toilets blocking up or air conditioning failing ship-wide.

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to Tx

Premium Member

to Tx
Sure, there are worse things. There are natural disasters. Nothing you can do. There is cancer. Nothing you can do. Death in the family, nothing you can do.

This, though, was preventable. Even with a catastrophic engine failure, there should been a back-up plan, something which was lacking.

As for vacation point, people don't get unlimited vacations, so this time is gone. This is true too if you're self-employed.

Although I do appreciate that there are worse things in life.

Tx
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Tx

Premium Member

said by J E F F4:

Sure, there are worse things. There are natural disasters. Nothing you can do. There is cancer. Nothing you can do. Death in the family, nothing you can do.

This, though, was preventable. Even with a catastrophic engine failure, there should been a back-up plan, something which was lacking.

As for vacation point, people don't get unlimited vacations, so this time is gone. This is true too if you're self-employed.

Although I do appreciate that there are worse things in life.

Based on what you said aren't the people who chose Carnival the ones who should hold themselves accountable?

Like those bitching about Teksavvy. First thing people say to those angry with them is you should have done your research about what wholesale is and how they operate.

Same goes for Carnival. As Guspaz & WaitForGoDot said. This is and has been ongoing with them for years and years. So really different situation but they should have known exactly what they were walking in to (well on to) before they used those precious vacation days.

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

I'd do my research, have done it, and it says never go on a bloody cruise. I know I wouldn't enjoy it, and I don't understand why people enjoy it.

When it comes to things like Teksavvy or, let's say freephoneline, you go for discount or free, don't expect better than premium. I had a friend that used to go on 'cruises' all the time, but he always went on work ships. Less than ideal, but oddly, they all had back-up plans.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
said by J E F F4:

As a mostly self-employed individual, knowing how valuable my time is, I factor delays into my travelling. 5 days, not so much... but I add 2 days in the event there's some kind of issue leaving and some kind of issue arriving.

Tx
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Tx to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
said by J E F F4:

I'd do my research, have done it, and it says never go on a bloody cruise. I know I wouldn't enjoy it, and I don't understand why people enjoy it.

When it comes to things like Teksavvy or, let's say freephoneline, you go for discount or free, don't expect better than premium. I had a friend that used to go on 'cruises' all the time, but he always went on work ships. Less than ideal, but oddly, they all had back-up plans.

Discount services like teksavvy or freephoneline doesn't mean diminished service. Just slower, i'd consider Carnival a discount cruise line in a sense since they are constantly having issues and you should as history repeats itself expect possible delays on a cruise.

You should plan ahead on vacation anyways no matter what, especially if you're traveling. Always leave room for trouble. Point is, people expect you to research an IISP, same goes for a vacation spot you're going to or on.

I wouldn't knock a cruise quite honestly, i don't see how it wouldn't be fun to just get away, better then a hotel in some country you go visit. It's also about family IMHO. I've never been, i'd like to one day, but i'm not going without my famdamily.