spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Quickguide01

join:2013-02-14

Linksys Router Wireless Signal Not Strong Enough

I use road runner cable internet from time warner. I have a linksys wrt54g wireless router. In our apartment, we have 3 computers. One is a desktop. The other 2 is laptops. One of the laptops we use is in a room very far from my room where the router and desktop computer is located at. The connection for the wireless is pretty bad so you have to go to the living room to get a better connection.

At first i thought i fixed this problem by upgrading the firmware as i have never did this before ever. I upgraded it to firmware version 4.21.5. At first it seemed like the signal got better from that room but now its as bad as it was before. So you have to go to the other room next to it... living room to use it.

My question is what could be the problem? I put my router on top of my desktop computer so it wouldn't be on the table where so many things could block it. Thus its at the highest point i could put the router in my room.

What wireless network mode am i suppose to put it on? I tried G only because i read thats the fastest but it doesn't seem to do anything. Or should i go for B? Or mixed? We only use the laptops for the wireless internet.

Also what channel should i have it? I have put it on channel 1 and 6 and it doesn't seem to change. Am i suppose to go through every single channel until i can get a fast connection?

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:2

Putting the WRTG on top of the computer may not help as it may still too close to Electro Magnetic Interference(EMI) from the desktop. If you can get it closer to the ceiling, or further from the floor, do so, and see what happens. There are only 3 real independent 2.4GHz channels in WiFi, 1, 6, 11. Try each of those. I would set the router for G.

If that does not work there are a few other options:

New WiFi router:

»support.linksys.com/en-us/suppor···s/EA4500

»support.linksys.com/en-us/suppor···s/EA6500

Mesh Network
»www.open-mesh.com/
»www.open-mesh.com/index.php/prod···m2p.html

Powerline
»www.netgear.com/home/products/po···nd-coax/
»www.netgear.com/home/products/po···201.aspx

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Quickguide01

quote:
At first it seemed like the signal got better from that room but now its as bad as it was before.
Firmware updates don't generally help signal issues.

quote:
What wireless network mode am i suppose to put it on?
Depends on what your NICs can do. If they are G then use G. If they are a mix then I believe you can set it to G but the speed will be determined by any device that might be on B. It also generally does not fix signal issues.

quote:
Also what channel should i have it? I
Depends on what is in use in the are but again - this will not fix a signal issue.

Do what davidhoffman suggests and also tell us how fare apart the laptops are form the router. You might need a AP near the laptops to extend the signal.

You can get software to load on the laptops to see what other wireless signals there are and what channel they are on. inSSIDer is one program.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Quickguide01

Okay so i tried something different. We have 2 laptops. One laptop is used by someone else all the way in the other room where the signal is pretty bad. Well i then brang my laptop to that room and went on the same site as the other computer and went to load the same streaming videos. My laptop however... the connection was faster than the other laptop in that room which is far away from where the desktop/router is at. Basically you can't even stream a video in that room most of the time but my laptop could.

Does that mean that my router isn't the problem since the wireless signal works fine for my laptop there whereas that laptop goes much slower? The thing is once you take that laptop and move it to the next room closer... then the signal is pretty good.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Quickguide01

Assuming that your laptops are at least 11G then you should have it set to 11G only.

Yes, some notebooks will have better wifi cards/antenna than others, so that certainly can be part of the equation. WiFi is a two way communication process.

A few possible "fixes" starting with the least expensive:

On the laptop with poor connectivity, you could purchase a usb wifi card that may perform better...better yet, attach it via usb cable, and you can really maximize the position of the wifi card, which may make all the difference that you need.

Of course another fix would be to consider a range extender such as an AP or powerline.

You might even consider a different router. The wrt54g was a fine router in its day (although some versions were much better than others), but there are routers out there with better range.

If it were me, I would strongly consider the first option. You can nab a decent enough usb wifi connector and I think based on your success with the other laptop, this would likely do the trick at low cost.
--
Deeds, not words

Quickguide01

Hi. Can you tell me whats the name of these usb wifi card that i can purchase? Im not familiar with these things.

Is it something like this?

»www.amazon.com/Medialink-150Mbps···duct_top

I don't mind buying a new router or getting a range extender. But i would be frustrated to buy one only to have it work just like my wrt54g. Can you recommend me some routers that work better than the wrt54g with better range? I would get it on amazon.

Also we only use our laptops for wireless. We don't use any video game system or ipads or anything like that.

Quickguide01

How do i know if the laptop is 11g? The name of this laptop is Inspiron N5010.

So best suggestion is to buy that thing i posted above? So i essentially just install that and the wireless signal should get stronger? What do you mean attach it via usb cable? You mean just plug it into laptop slot like how you plug in a usb drive?

Quickguide01

reply to Quickguide01

I also want to mention another thing. A few months ago i had to return my RCA cable box back to time warner cable b/c they do a monthly rental fee so i had to buy a cable box.

I purchased a Motorola Surfboard SB5101 Cable Modem on amazon but purchased it used. It works fine for my internet. My question is however... is there a chance this modem could slow the wireless internet? I just thought about this right now but i assume that has no effect on wireless internet connection right?

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Quickguide01

Sorry I just got back to this, to answer some of your questions:

The Inspiron N5010 has 11n connectivity (yes, backwards-compatible to 11g), so a router that supports 11n would be preferable.

The Medialink usb connector would work...however, it generally is a better bet to use a usb wireless connector by the same manufacturer as the router...if available.

Your modem would not have anything to do with wireless speed, although the SB5101 is an older D2 cable modem. Most cable systems are now D3, which menas that they can use bonded channels which generally ensuremore consistent throughput of data. Again however, I would not expect that to have much of anything to do with wireless performance.

If you are only really concerned about the one laptop, I would first try the external usb wireless connector...the cheapest and most direct "fix".

However, you may get better performance with an 11n router connected to your notebook which supports 11n.
--
Deeds, not words