uniqs

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

[Tablet] Nexus 7 update 4.2.2

anyone get the N7 4.2.2 update? Did it break root? I got it OTA but haven't pressed the install button.

Other install methods are not working and it's not on the Google site.

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

1 recommendation

Harddrive

Premium Member

Possible manual update.
Go to apps, all, Google service framework, clear cache, clear data, stop--then on to System, about tablet, check for updates.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Agreed. That usually works quite well.

benwish
Premium Member
join:2001-01-06
Snellville, GA

benwish to SparkChaser

Premium Member

to SparkChaser
I used OTA RootKeeper to protect my SuperUserSU on my rooted N10.
Worked like a charme.

B

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to SparkChaser

to SparkChaser
»developers.google.com/an ··· s/images

Portmonkey
My watch stopped
Premium Member
join:2004-04-09
Southern IL

Portmonkey to Harddrive

Premium Member

to Harddrive
Thanks. Was starting to think it was never going to update but that did the trick.

ferrari365
@charter.com

ferrari365 to Harddrive

Anon

to Harddrive
Thank You so much for the manual update! It works!

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to SparkChaser

MVM

to SparkChaser
Yes, I got the roll out 2 days ago, but as always it does not get out everywhere at the same time, in which case there is nothing wrong with grabbing it manually.

Nothing really to write home about this update, with the possible exception of efficiency. Google now claims 10 hours run time for the N7 (versus 8 before). So far, it does appear that I am getting more run time on my N7 so there may be truth to this.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

It seemed to hit the Google site overnight. I usually update through CWM but it fails on the file from Google as well as the files previously posted on other sites.

So....... I said what the hell and clicked update through the OTA and that also fails. Says it's going to reboot, counts down and just sits there. **head scratching time**

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to Harddrive

MVM

to Harddrive
said by Harddrive:

Possible manual update.
Go to apps, all, Google service framework, clear cache, clear data, stop--then on to System, about tablet, check for updates.

Yep, actually this was the first N7 update that came to me before I used the manual update method.

FastEddie

join:2000-12-29
Channel Z

FastEddie to benwish

to benwish

said by benwish:

I used OTA RootKeeper to protect my SuperUserSU on my rooted N10.
Worked like a charme.

B

I have Voodoo's OTA RootKeeper on my Nexus 7. I haven't updated yet. I think I'll wait awhile till the rush calms down.

But OTA RootKeeper gave you root all right after the update?

SparkChaser
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser to Harddrive

Premium Member

to Harddrive
said by Harddrive:

Possible manual update.

Did that, now the update is gone and it says I'm up to date when I press check for update.

Been one of those computer weeks.
SparkChaser

SparkChaser

Premium Member

Looks like I'm not the only one.

»forum.xda-developers.com ··· 38032972

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

1 edit

pnjunction to SparkChaser

Premium Member

to SparkChaser
I got SuperSU Pro ahead of the update so that I would have its survival mode at the ready. (Chainfire's a quality dev don't mind tossing him a couple bucks instead of finding another way.)

Just got the update and it worked like a charm. One improvement I see in 4.2.2 is that the settings pulldown is working better for me. I found that feature glitchy and annoying on 4.2.1, I had to very deliberately pull it down or it would just close again.

benwish
Premium Member
Snellville, GA

benwish to FastEddie

Premium Member

to FastEddie
Yes Eddie.
I didn't even bother to use the temp. un-root option in Voodoo.
Backup SU, make sure all 4 clickboxes are checked.
Run the 4.2.2 update.
Reboot.
I had to grand Voodoo in SU root right again, but after another reboot all was correct and done/working.

Worked for me on a Nexus 10, rooted with 4.2.1 and OTA to 4.2.2

B

FastEddie

Channel Z

FastEddie

I did a Temp un root with Voodoo. Got the update and turned root back on. Seems only 3 boxes are check (the second from the top isn't) and it looks like it is "greyed" out.

I get root access with my file manage though.

benwish
Premium Member
Snellville, GA

benwish

Premium Member

Try to give voodoo root rights in superuser. I had to, to get the 4 boxes checked.
Maybe uninstall/install of vodoo again?
Since you seem to have root, i wouldn't worry.

FastEddie

Channel Z

FastEddie

They came up all checked the next time I turned it back on.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser to Harddrive

Premium Member

to Harddrive

Re: [Tablet] Nexus 7 update 4.2.2 -Solved- FYI

said by Harddrive:

Possible manual update.

Got it updated with difficulty. Did what Harddrive said and got the update message but update took it into CWM. CWM wouldn't update just as trying to update with the D/L file. It seems it doesn't like the name or validation.

Finally, saved everything with TB. Reflashed the device with 4.2.2 using N7 toolkit. Rooted it, reloaded using TB and now back to normal. Was almost as bad as my win 8 experience.

FastEddie

Channel Z

FastEddie

Use CWM and make a backup now that you have it where you want it. It will save you headaches if something goes wonky in the future.

I've installed Goo Manager and used it to install TWRP by menu-install openscript recovery.

I still use a bootable MicroSD card with CWM for my Nook Color running Jelly Bean.