Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

willzzz

join:2007-05-23
SE MI

[Detroit] Getting only 2/3 to 1/2 of rated connection speed (9-2

I pay for 30/2Mbps (BHN RR Turbo). Here are some speedtests:
Local via Comcast: »www.speedtest.net/result/2509230223.png (1/3 of speed).

Chicago (major local peering point but not where my traffic is routed apparently): »www.speedtest.net/result/2509233073.png

Washington DC (yes where my local traffic is seemingly peered) and I get the highest speeds (20Mbps): »www.speedtest.net/result/2509254318.png

The DC server gives the lowest latency. A tracert confirms that's where my traffic is being routed.

Question is WHY? This increases my latency onto local servers as everything has to go from Detroit->Cleveland/Columbus->Washington DC peering instead of staying in the Midwest.

Latency is important, so is speed. BTW, sometimes my Verizon 4G LTE has lower latency because its routed properly (Chicago peering point mostly or Cleveland and further eastward).

Also is this a function of local node demand/traffic possibly? because when I was testing the other computers were off or in hibernation. This is not a bottleneck of my local network either. Although there maybe a performance bottleneck of the local router (its a a older WRT54GL with DD-WRT firmware, there is no QoS slowing it down). It can pass NAT ~25-30Mbps per online tests. I would be happy with just 25Mbps. And yes right now I eliminated the WiFi component. I tested earlier for 9Mbps and then 20Mbps on the DC server so the difference either must be traffic or something else.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:151

Re: [Detroit] Getting only 2/3 to 1/2 of rated connection speed

Can't tell you without looking at your equipment first.

willzzz

SE MI
reply to willzzz
BHNtechXpert,

Let's hold on this. I called BHN and got a cheaper rate on my current package (it was time anyways) and they're coming to swap it out for a new modem+DVR. Also I'm getting the current 30Mbps turbo speeds instead of the old package 20Mbps. After that I'll test.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to willzzz
Okay let me know.. you know I want you happy.

willzzz

SE MI
reply to willzzz
Ok. The new modem and speedtest come out fine on wired ethernet @ 30/2Mbps.

The only concern I have now is that the modem/router itself is NATing the connection instead of bridging the connection.

What is the login to the Ubee modem at: »192.168.0.1/ ?
The model is DVW3201B.

willzzz

SE MI
reply to willzzz
Update: I found the login (user/user) and configured the embedded wifi router as a second AP and now test 30/2Mbps!

I'll just use my existing router for access to my home network until I can replace my existing router. I will keep it in NAT mode for now.

Reading other threads, it seems if I wanted to change the Ubee modem/router to bridge mode I have to call BHN, is that correct?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to willzzz
No I can do it for you