Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

below_radar

join:2013-02-14

Motorola NVG510 problem opening port for torrent software

Click for full size
Hi:

I've posted my problem at an att forum also, but no luck so I thought I'd try here:

My OS: Windows 7, windows firewall and antivirus programs are turned off. I have gone into the modem's options and tried to add the exceptions for nat/gaming for both utorrent and bitcomet to no avail.

I'm trying to open the ports for utorrent to operate correctly and then I tried bitcomet. Neither worked.

I've done this port forwarding successfully with my 2wire when I had the full uverse package but now I have moved and have just the NVG510 modem for internet (not sure if this is actually dsl or not but I hope this is the right forum)

I posted a screen shot highlighting the ports that are used by each program. Also, Im not sure what to put in as the port range. I tried adding a lot of different exceptions/rules but nothing worked so far.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

Does the nvg510 have a firewall log?
If it does it should have messages about the traffic.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to below_radar

said by below_radar:

Hi:

I've posted my problem at an att forum also, but no luck so I thought I'd try here:

My OS: Windows 7, windows firewall and antivirus programs are turned off. I have gone into the modem's options and tried to add the exceptions for nat/gaming for both utorrent and bitcomet to no avail.

I'm trying to open the ports for utorrent to operate correctly and then I tried bitcomet. Neither worked.

You are trying to use the same port with two different PCs? Is the NVG510 capable? The only routers I have used must forward to different ports on different computers. I.e., PC1 port 17222, PC2 port 17223, etc. Unless the NVG510 can map different incoming to different destinations with the same port number.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

below_radar

join:2013-02-14

wayjac...i dont see a log option tab. I googled also to see if there was a feature---no luck.

norman.....i am using one laptop. I was trying to open ports for utorrent for it to work correctly. then i tried another program---bitcomet thinking it was something wrong with utorrent.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 edit

said by below_radar:

norman.....i am using one laptop. I was trying to open ports for utorrent for it to work correctly. then i tried another program---bitcomet thinking it was something wrong with utorrent.

OIC ... I didn't read that well. Two lines were labeled as for two PCs; but they are for two different protocols: TCP and UDP. That part should be okay.

BTW, the technical term for what you are trying to do is, "forward" ports. The router does not open any ports; it just forwards packets to the designated port on the designated host.

The application will open the ports when it is run. If your BitTorrent client is not running during a port scan, the result reported will be, "filtered" (for 'nmap'), or "closed" (for GRC Shields Up!, or similar).

Addendum:

I have ports forwarded for three services: LapLink Gold, BitTorrent, and Skype. I currently only have Skype running. These are the results of scans around the selected ports for two of the three.
Skype (49053):
quote:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2013-02-15 at 08:17:29

Results from scan of ports: 49023-49083

1 Ports Open
0 Ports Closed
60 Ports Stealth
---------------------
61 Ports Tested

NO PORTS were found to be CLOSED.

The port found to be OPEN was: 49053

Other than what is listed above, all ports are STEALTH.

TruStealth: FAILED - NOT all tested ports were STEALTH,
- NO unsolicited packets were received,
- A PING REPLY (ICMP Echo) WAS RECEIVED.

BitTorrent (18768):
quote:

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2013-02-15 at 08:18:29

Results from scan of ports: 18738-18798

0 Ports Open
0 Ports Closed
61 Ports Stealth
---------------------
61 Ports Tested

ALL PORTS tested were found to be: STEALTH.

TruStealth: FAILED - ALL tested ports were STEALTH,
- NO unsolicited packets were received,
- A PING REPLY (ICMP Echo) WAS RECEIVED.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
reply to below_radar

said by below_radar:

wayjac...i dont see a log option tab. I googled also to see if there was a feature---no luck.

I did some searching myself:
There is a Diagnostics link/tab and nested there is a log link/tab

Frodo

join:2006-05-05
reply to below_radar

said by below_radar:

Also, Im not sure what to put in as the port range.

I don't use torrent software anymore, but if I wanted to get my uTorrent going, I would first set a port in uTorrent, options->, preferences-> connecton, such as

Then in my router, I would forward that port from the Wan side to the port on the PC. In this case, it would be outside port 28155 to internal port 28155, both UDP and TCP. If I have multiple PCs then each PC would get a different port in its torrent software. So, on a second PC, I would use a different port than 28155. On the same PC, but a different client, such as BitComet, I would use a different port. I would keep the Wan port and the Lan port the same when making the forwarding rule in the router.

That would take care of the torrents. This client also has DHT, but I don't know whether the port forwarding would also take care of that, or whether additional configuration is necessary. Didn't see it in the directions.

If your router has UPnP, then UPnP can take care of the port forwarding. My router does not have UPnP, so can't use it. If I had UPnP, I would use the random port option in conjunction with UPnP, which I consider its best feature.