how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lilarry
Premium
join:2010-04-06

"Parasitic Voip"?

In a technical meeting today, an experienced IT guy referred to the services we offer through Voip.ms, Callcentric and others as "Parasitic Voip". The guy was trying to sound technical, but he was also clearly trying to be a little derogatory.

I haven't heard the term "Parasitic Voip" in years. It used to refer to VoIP service that rode over cable or DSL Internet connections from ISPs who were also providing voice service. I think the term fell out of usage when it became obvious that everything that rode over the Internet could be described as "parasitic", since email, web and data services all need the Internet connection to "survive".

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone is still using this term today. If so, what is really meant by it?

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP
join:2008-07-21
kudos:3

I'm surprised it came from an IT Guy. When I saw the term I immediately thought about a sale guy who reads too many blogs and use google one day before its next meeting to impress with big words.
--
Martin - VoiP.ms

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06

1 recommendation

reply to lilarry

He's probably also someone who's still fond of those parasitic data services that he uses when on his dial-up Internet connection.
--
"Face piles of trials with smiles; it riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave."

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to lilarry

This says a lot more about the fact the he's not the one paying the bills than anything else. Vertical integration of transport and services/applications benefits providers' shareholders & employees but is not in the public interest.

That said, people like simplicity, and it was a lot simpler for many people when there was one phone company, you could have any color phone as long as it was black, and so on. Thirty cents a minute didn't sound so bad when the other option was a stamp and a week.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

Gershom 1624

@optonline.net

1 edit
reply to lilarry

said by lilarry:

In a technical meeting today, an experienced IT guy referred to the services we offer through Voip.ms, Callcentric and others as "Parasitic Voip".

That poor fellow is very out of date.

The term was starting to be obsolete by 2005-2006, and was quite uncommon after 2008.

Did he also lecture you guys on 28.8 modems?

Hell, he probably thinks 3.5 floppies are too modern. Give me those 8 inch floppies anytime. And Betamax tapes!

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to lilarry

said by lilarry:

In a technical meeting today, an experienced IT guy referred to the services we offer through Voip.ms, Callcentric and others as "Parasitic Voip".

I have been introduced to many people as IT people with much experience --- 98% of these so called IT people are non-technical but are IT people in the administrative sense - some can pretend to be experienced in the technical sense by spewing technical acronyms and terms but cannot accomplish much of anything technicle.

So when meeting IT GUYS --- I normally can tell if they are "doers" by how they go about solving problems or the logic used when communicating IT technical subjects versus IT administrative subjects. IT is such a vast area that much of IT in the Enterprise [98%] does involve a great deal of management [administrative] issues having very little technical expertise associated with it. And those IT guys who are doers normally HATE administrative meetings with a vengeance because of the management politics.

VoIP insofar as the old TELECOM world is concerned is parasitic without question .... in the new TCP/IP telecom world VoIP is the cats meow.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON

Such people are an endless source of inspiration for Scott Adams (Dilbert).

Gershom 1624

@optonline.net
reply to lilarry

said by lilarry:

In a technical meeting today, an experienced IT guy referred to the services we offer through Voip.ms, Callcentric and others as "Parasitic Voip". The guy was trying to sound technical, but he was also clearly trying to be a little derogatory.

We pay our ISP's so that we can send and receive data.

That's the whole point of the Internet.

But he must feel that any data or service that we're not specifically paying the cable/ISP company for, is "parasitic"

Wow, that would apply even more to a service like Netflix! It uses a lot of data, and certainly competes with the cable TV programming and cable pay-per-view movies.

He'd probably call that "parasitic entertainment".

zephxiii

join:2012-12-12
Fort Wayne, IN
reply to lilarry

How daft of him.

Someone should have pointed out to him how the extra expensive that can at times be huge of the traditional ways of voice is parasitic to company's budget. At least in our case it is, and in a huge way too.