uniqs
share rss forum feed

quickdry21

join:2009-05-15
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Colbanet

[Rant] Driving in Montreal

My Dad always used learning to drive in Montreal as an excuse for his horrible, erratic road skills and I always took that with a grain of salt. Now that I've lived here, I'm surprised he is capable of driving at all.

Lanes? What lanes? Pedestrians waiting for their right of way? Ha! Bicycles weaving in an out of traffic? Signal lights? What are those? Drivers weaving erratically from lane to lane with no notice? Sure, GO THE FUCK AHEAD! Oh, you drive like a sane person? Lets lay on the horn!

Oh, and if you're a taxi driver in this city, I automatically want to strangle you.

In the 5 years I've owned my vehicle I've not come in to contact with another object while driving, but I doubt I'll make it through a year and a half in this city. What is it with the drivers in Montreal? Is all of Quebec like this?

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
kudos:1

Yes Quebecers are probably the worst drivers ,with the exception of maybe the cowboys from Alberta.
--
Sarcasm is the body’s natural defense against stupidity.

WaitForGodot

join:2009-01-07
reply to quickdry21

You have said what anyone who visits Montreal infrequently has experienced.

My boss who had lived for a long time in Montreal, used to talk about the crazy drivers and of folks driving with one finger out the window.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:22
reply to quickdry21

As someone who has lived on the island of Montreal since birth, I can confirm this as the norm. It's not as bad in the suburbs, though.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

quickdry21

reply to quickdry21

I'm just scared what my insurance is going to be when I switch to Quebec plates. I just turned 25, hopefully with moving to the new age demographic and moving from Edmonton to Montreal, I won't net a loss.

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC

said by quickdry21:

I'm just scared what my insurance is going to be when I switch to Quebec plates. I just turned 25, hopefully with moving to the new age demographic and moving from Edmonton to Montreal, I won't net a loss.

I don't know what insurance goes for in Alberta, but it's pretty reasonable in Quebec.

quickdry21

reply to ZZZZZZZ

Oh, and the rednecks with their rig rockets blasting down the roads of Alberta are a small demographic. It seems pretty much everyone in Montreal scares me!

horsey

@eastlink.ca
reply to quickdry21

Crap I got no popcorn.
Off to Sobies back soon

just U wait

@videotron.ca
reply to quickdry21

Montreal is training grounds for when you make it to Boston.

Nothing, and i mean nothing beats Boston.

Well... maybe except Ottawa old people and diplomats who are blind as a bat and shouldn't drive.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

As someone who has lived on the island of Montreal since birth, I can confirm this as the norm. It's not as bad in the suburbs, though.

I'm not sure what is more scary, Quebec drivers, or looking at the bridges in Montreal held up by toothpicks.

BTW: Hamilton has the most aggressive drivers.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
reply to just U wait

Boston was a bitch. Even the CAA tourbook warns that it's quite an adventure to drive there.
--
Start Communications Forum

Zed071

join:2010-09-16
reply to just U wait

According to some people who live in Boston, the Driver's Handbook refers to other traffic as "your opponents".

And I concur having driven there.

Onbelay

@electronicbox.net
reply to quickdry21

Been driving in Montreal since 1986 and am living to tell. lol. Driving in Paris again this summer. Terrifying. Driving around the Chanps-de-Lysee takes nerves of steel.

mazhurg
Premium
join:2004-05-02
Portage La Prairie, MB
Reviews:
·MTS
reply to quickdry21

If there is one thing I learned when growing up around the big city is situational awareness while driving.

It is a skill that is sorely lacking in most drivers around the country; Toronto not excepted.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to Zed071

said by Zed071:

According to some people who live in Boston, the Driver's Handbook refers to other traffic as "your opponents".

I have driven in Montreal, and I have driven in Boston, and I concur with both posts. Montreal driving is unbelievable, exactly as described. Boston driving is worse. My first challenge when renting a car at Logan and heading out onto the freeways was always a particular merge that occurs just outside the airport. Nothing unusual about it, just one road merging with a busier one. The thing is, no one in Boston will yield to let you in, ever. And I speak as an aggressive driver who will normally just barge his way in when necessary. In Boston, this becomes a highly advanced game of "chicken". I believe the presumption of every Boston driver is that if someone manages to get in front of him, then he has lost his manhood and his honour.

But getting back to Montreal, yes, they drive like crazy people. When I was younger and more reckless, whenever I visited Montreal my attitude was to drive like I was crazy, too. I fit right in. In fact I exploited some of my learnings from Boston and scared the hell out of some of them.

Today I drive in a manner fitting of my age, and my insurance company loves me. I don't think I would want to deal with Montreal.
--
I go and lie down where the wood drake rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds. I come into the peace of wild things who do not tax their lives with forethought of grief. For a time I rest in the grace of the world, and I am free.

just U wait

@videotron.ca
reply to Zed071

said by Zed071:

Ah a brother in arms.

Nothing in life prepared me for when I first entered Boston. Makes this guys topic pale in comparison.

That place is just f'n insane. Nothing has ever come close to that place.

quickdry21, since you are only a few hours away from Boston, go visit the place. Let us know how it goes. But first, you need to relax with MTL driving cuz you will sh*t your pants in Boston when you are doing 140km/h and that 70 yr old granny leans on their horn cuz you're going to slow. And the young people are faster and will cut you off instead of using their horn.

heh. I think a day in Boston will man you up fast.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to quickdry21

Fun fact, Boston is closer to Montreal than Toronto, both in time (if border conditions are good) and distance. Most people in Montreal don't seem to realize that.

Speaking of driving to Boston, it can be troublesome to navigate, because pure GPS units don't work there. Narrow roads and tall buildings means really poor satellite reception. AGPS in cellphones works perfectly fine, since they have so many more data sources to work with (3G to pre-load satellite data, cell tower triangulation, wifi access point triangulation, Russian GLONASS satellites, plus regular GPS sats). But avoid trying to use a dedicated GPS unit there!
--

coxta
Ultramundane
Premium
join:2000-07-15
LALALALALALA

I've been to Montreal multiple times, and I agree it is a scary place to drive. I live in Los Angeles and yes we have bad drivers - lots of immigrants with no licenses, but Montreal is a terribly risky place from my perspective.

One thing of note is there is a no right turn on red law and although I miss being able to perform that maneuver when I visit Montreal, I agree that no turn on red is a good thing. I can't imagine what would happen if that was allowed.

One thing that may have influenced the bad driving is the terrible and ridiculous street planning. How can you develop any driving skill with such a grand scale moronic design?
--
Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to quickdry21

You guys are just not used to it. It's not that bad. There's just the occasional moron who thinks they own the road, a bunch of taxi drivers who are VIPs, some pedestrians that are too good for crossing the street on a green light... or even on a street crossing, some cyclists that pretend they're all alone on the street... but other than that, it's pretty easy going once you get into the rhythm.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
reply to quickdry21

You'll be amazed at how quickly you'll adapt.
And I agree to the Boston driving bashing.
--
~ Project Hope ~

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8

It's not a question of "adapting", it's more a question of staying out of accidents. People adapt to living in war zones, too, but they still get killed.

jobr

join:2004-10-21
Halifax, NS
reply to quickdry21

One thing I don't get about Montreal is that the cops don't seem to care. Several times, I've seen cars going at least 30 km/h over the limit, weaving in and out of lanes without signaling, right past a cop car and nothing happened.

I bet if the cops started ticketing everyone who did that, people would shape up pretty quickly.

OverrRyde

join:2007-04-10
Waterdown, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to coxta

said by coxta:

I've been to Montreal multiple times, and I agree it is a scary place to drive. I live in Los Angeles and yes we have bad drivers - lots of immigrants with no licenses, but Montreal is a terribly risky place from my perspective.

One thing of note is there is a no right turn on red law and although I miss being able to perform that maneuver when I visit Montreal, I agree that no turn on red is a good thing. I can't imagine what would happen if that was allowed.

One thing that may have influenced the bad driving is the terrible and ridiculous street planning. How can you develop any driving skill with such a grand scale moronic design?

This is interesting, is it a matter of perspective?

I learned to drive in Montreal and now i live in GTA but moved to Toronto first and my frist impression was how horrible the drivers were here compared to "back home".

Now regarding the street planning, again, perspective? I remember when i moved to Toronto, going East didnt mean you would end up going East. You probably end up facing North/West for whatever reason. Montreal on the other hand, taking any of the major roads (small too, aamof) such as St. Laurent, St. Denis, Sherbrooke, etc - if you're going East, you're going East. I clearly remember driving on some of the street in Toronto and it was like a rollercoaster ride, having no idea i ended up where i did!

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Wolfie00

Millions of people manage to not get into accidents everyday.
When I moved here 20-something years ago, I had to adapt the way I drive.
The alternative was to stop driving.
--
~ Project Hope ~

MFido

join:2012-10-19
kudos:2
reply to quickdry21

You are too harsh on my adoption town! It is not that bad ...

I drove in Central and South America and in Europe (both West and Est) for long periods of time, as well as on the Eastern Cost of NA (including Boston)

Except some young idiot drivers making people nervous it is a breeze to drive in Montreal. It is really easy (if I compare it with a drive in a crowded city with narrow lanes in Europe or with "no rules driving" in Latin America)

The main think I do not like here is the fact the people are not signalizing their intention to change lanes.

I am waiting for an opportunity to compare it with an Asian driving experience

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to quickdry21

Other than the lack of usage of turn signals, I would say the biggest problem with driving in Mtl is how shitty the road signage is.
In many instances you'll see the sign for your exit only after you pass it.
Very daunting for newcomers who are still trying to grow the 4th, 5th, and 6th eye required to drive defensively here.
--
~ Project Hope ~

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC

said by EUS:

Other than the lack of usage of turn signals, I would say the biggest problem with driving in Mtl is how shitty the road signage is.
In many instances you'll see the sign for your exit only after you pass it.
Very daunting for newcomers who are still trying to grow the 4th, 5th, and 6th eye required to drive defensively here.

That's what turn by turn is for :P Of course the problem is that most turn by turn can't pronounce street names in French, which can be confusing.
--

Bender2000
Bite My Shiny Metal Ass
Premium
join:2002-05-06
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, QC
reply to Wolfie00

I moved to Montreal 12 years ago. It took me about 2 weeks to adapt. And that was coming from St. John's, NL which has nothing even moderately close to high volume traffic, let alone high volume pyscho drivers. In that span of time, I've had one accident (hit a guy that didn't stop when the light turned red). It really isn't that bad overall, if you are aware of your own surroundings and have reaction times that are reasonable.

just U wait

@videotron.ca
reply to jobr

said by jobr:

One thing I don't get about Montreal is that the cops don't seem to care. Several times, I've seen cars going at least 30 km/h over the limit, weaving in and out of lanes without signaling, right past a cop car and nothing happened.

Do they ticket people in toronto for not using a signal to change lanes on the highway? I've never saw that. Ever. Only on TV.

Maneuvering happens to fast. No time for a signal. You have to hurry up and cut in or the car behind you in the other lane will floor it and prevent you from cutting in if he see's your turn signal.

I chalk it up to you being young and not knowing how to drive in traffic. Or Toronto is really that different from the rest of the world.

Obviously, you wouldn't survive Boston. You would have a nervous breakdown.

It's like what "bender" stated. But I tell you, when I drove in Toronto, its like people just aren't aware of their surroundings. It's like they pick a point in the sky and follow that. While Boston was was one hell of an eye-opener, nothing beat Toronto for idiot drivers. But then again, after learning people hit you there just to get insurance money, maybe there is a method to the madness there.

I found NYC to be the same as Montreal in regards to driving habits.

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2
reply to quickdry21

If you want to survive driving in Montreal, just get a small car. You have a lot more room to maneuver out of tight spots than when you drive a "boat."
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live