All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
meta
join:2004-12-27

meta to TomS_

to TomS_

Re: Loops Vlans?

no no no, if you plan to allow people to bring their own switches et al, why dont you just turn on broadcast/multicast storm suppression at 0.01% of port speed.

When they create a loop it will be a minor annoyance and not result in any outage.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by meta:

no no no, if you plan to allow people to bring their own switches et al, why dont you just turn on broadcast/multicast storm suppression at 0.01% of port speed.

When they create a loop it will be a minor annoyance and not result in any outage.

meh -- if you set erridisable recovery at like 10 seconds -- it'll be even more fun for you.
come on, meta See Profile -- i expect you to be more playful. something like the catbert of the it realm.

q.
meta
join:2004-12-27

meta

Click for full size
You are right tubby, what was i thinking...

How about this:

Set up a different VLAN on every port to every different customer/booth/whatever and run it up to the same router.

If you detect a storm on a given vlan (set up bcast/mcast storm suppression) generate a log message caught by an EEM script that configures WCCP on the router:

Use a WCCP proxy on the linux box hanging off the router to perform upside-down-ternet proxying: »www.ex-parrot.com/pete/u ··· net.html

The less enjoyable users will get the hint that they did something stupid, and will correct it to recieve the right-side-upternet again.

;-P
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

Child's play. If we're talking Catbert-level, should generate something along the lines of an FBI "You have
been caught stealing on the internet" page :twisted:

Regards

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet to meta

MVM

to meta
much better.
playful.
twisted.

even better -- when they ask what was wrong -- say that the token ring on the cable must have been lost in the ether-net. ask them to find the token -- they have to before it'll work again.

q.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

...then hand them a live end of a fiber cable to look for the dropped token.

Regards