reply to Mele20

Re: Microsoft Security Essentials Prerelease

If you run WU you might find out

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

Yeah....I did run it once when the computer was new to get it current. There was nothing new then for Windows Defender. It has a date of July 2012 on it. I'll go look at Microsoft Download site....but that is so much "fun" to use with Fx and Proxo.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

1 recommendation

I can save you the trouble. There's nothing at the Microsoft download site for MSE (except for the prerelease--the original subject of this thread).
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

Thanks. Since Windows Defender is built into Win 8, I would think it might need a Service Pack for the OS to update it. It's file properties number is nothing like that for MSE or the new MSE pre-release.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

SpHeRe31459

join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2

Thanks to dealing with Forefront (the corporate product) I've found that while the UI portion (client version) might not have been updated, what matters is that the Engine versions are the same. Forefront 2010 was on what was basically MSE 2.x's UI until November 2012 when they pushed a new client version down via Windows Update (that brought it into line with MSE 4.0) but the core engine behind the scenes was updated in sync with MSE.