Search similar:

uniqs
analog andy
join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC

analog andy

Steam is officially on Linux

»store.steampowered.com/s ··· _release

2013 the year of Gaming on Linux has arrived. This one is for the books.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

Plenty of Steam games on sale too... for all platforms (but tied into this event)
analog andy
join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC

analog andy

Yah I'm gonna bust out the CC in a few and order some. Now it retarded Netflix would just get with the program, we wouldn't need custom hacks to watch it.
analog andy

1 edit

analog andy

Just bought 10 games $50. Might as well show them they made the right choice to go with Linux.

Half-Life 1: 2.49 USD
Counter-Strike: Source: 4.99 USD
Killing Floor: 6.80 USD
Spectraball: 4.99 USD
Space Pirates and Zombies(SPAZ): 2.49 USD
Serious Sam 3 BFE: 7.99 USD
Unity of Command: 9.99 USD
Droid Assault: 4.99 USD
Cubemen 2-Pack: 1.99 USD
Trine 2: 3.74 USD

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to analog andy

MVM

to analog andy
HL1? CS:Source? Surely you own everything Valve has made before considering how cheaply and bundled they've thrown around that stuff in the past :P

Props to Valve for hedging their bets on Linux, but sadly the game selection is limited to Valve and indy titles.
Sukunai
Premium Member
join:2008-05-07

Sukunai to analog andy

Premium Member

to analog andy
Glad to see your support for Unity of Command.

It is NOT easy to get conventional board game style wargames on to services like Steam where the developers might realize some serious cash returns.

Too many of the wargaming companies are simply too used to selling direct from them, and the problem being, no one other than a hard core wargamer has ever heard of them.

And traditional wargamers as a group are likely among the smallest niches of the gaming world.

ruddypict
join:2010-03-24

ruddypict to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

HL1? CS:Source? Surely you own everything Valve has made before considering how cheaply and bundled they've thrown around that stuff in the past :P

Props to Valve for hedging their bets on Linux, but sadly the game selection is limited to Valve and indy titles.

I had heard that they doubled their selection in a week, that's pretty good. Give them some time and I'm sure they'll have more titles out.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to analog andy

MVM

to analog andy
Well, they're adding a ton of indy titles, which are great. I dumped a ton of hours into SPAZ, for example. But they have few if any AAA titles. It's one thing for an indy developer who used an existing framework to port their game to Linux, some times it's as simple as just compiling for a different target. But if you can't convince EA, Capcom, Tough Actin' Blizzactin', etc. then it won't be a viable replacement gaming platform.

Getting Valve and indy games makes gaming possible on Linux, but it doesn't make gaming primarily on Linux possible.

ruddypict
join:2010-03-24

ruddypict

said by Guspaz:

Well, they're adding a ton of indy titles, which are great. I dumped a ton of hours into SPAZ, for example. But they have few if any AAA titles. It's one thing for an indy developer who used an existing framework to port their game to Linux, some times it's as simple as just compiling for a different target. But if you can't convince EA, Capcom, Tough Actin' Blizzactin', etc. then it won't be a viable replacement gaming platform.

Getting Valve and indy games makes gaming possible on Linux, but it doesn't make gaming primarily on Linux possible.

I've read that Valve is actively porting their AAA titles. These take a lot more time. Indie games tend to be smaller and easier. I'd be surprised if they didn't have a ton of indie games to start.

There's a lot of game developers who are unhappy with Win8 is a platform. Valve are amongst the first to take a stand on it. I wouldn't be surprised if more follow. Personally I hope they stick with Win8 and use Linux and Mac as platforms as well. More choices for us, the consumers.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by ruddypict:

I've read that Valve is actively porting their AAA titles. These take a lot more time. Indie games tend to be smaller and easier. I'd be surprised if they didn't have a ton of indie games to start.

Considering Valve has a bunch of AAA titles on OS X already, it should be a relatively small investment to get the previously posted Mac titles to work on Linux.

I've been using it since the second beta stage and it's pretty good overal.
Sukunai
Premium Member
join:2008-05-07

Sukunai to analog andy

Premium Member

to analog andy
In another story, I have read how someone has made an app that permits Android to simply run on anyone's OS, which, is I think going to be a dominant approach if anything as it will be better to not have to even acknowledge the back ground OS eventually.

I'd rather be focusing on running the games I want to play, and not always giving a damn which OS was originally installed on the machine.

We all know, that Windows or iOS or Linux in the end, no one really cares which is better, they just want to play the damned game on their machine.

When I think computer, I don't think PC Mac or whatever, I think machine that plays electronic games. Only a dolt thinks the letters PC means windows, it means Personal Computer.

My laptop is a PC, my desktop is a PC, my tablet is a PC and my Nintendo is a PC made specifically to play games although it can do other things if I am desperate. The only place I play games, that is not a PC is my TABLE, it runs on fingers and has a battery life measured in decades.