Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone

Re: GTA getting new area codes 437 and 365

HA! I don't any of ours...I'm sure my mom would, though I think I recall one being...something like ADams ### and BRidgeport ###..stuff like that.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by J E F F4:

HA! I don't any of ours...I'm sure my mom would, though I think I recall one being...something like ADams ### and BRidgeport ###..stuff like that.

Look them up here: »ourwebhome.com/TENP/TENp ··· ect.html

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

Interesting....SHerwood!

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Here in Fort Erie, I don't believe they ever had CO names that anyone ever used. Back in those days you only had to dial four digits to call anyone, and by the time that changed they used numbers instead.

People in this town *still* only give out the last four digits of their phone number on the assumption you know it's an 871 number. It's weird.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by Gone:

Here in Fort Erie, I don't believe they ever had CO names that anyone ever used. Back in those days you only had to dial four digits to call anyone, and by the time that changed they used numbers instead.

People in this town *still* only give out the last four digits of their phone number on the assumption you know it's an 871 number. It's weird.

They probably did. It was common. Port Hope, now 885, was TUrner so your number was given as TUrner 5-xxxx. When I was young we only dialed 5-xxxx for local numbers. This was until the mid to late 80s!

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Oh, I don't doubt they had names. The point was that no one used them.

Contrast this with a city like St. Cats where you had three COs going back even into the 1940s and everyone knew the names.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by Gone:

Oh, I don't doubt they had names. The point was that no one used them.

Contrast this with a city like St. Cats where you had three COs going back even into the 1940s and everyone knew the names.

Yes, with one exchange there would be no need.

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

I got lucky and snagged an 871 number for a while in 2006 by sheer luck. Now you may find that people are less presumptuous and want to know 871, 991, 992, 993, 994.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Last Parade:

I got lucky and snagged an 871 number for a while in 2006 by sheer luck. Now you may find that people are less presumptuous and want to know 871, 991, 992, 993, 994.

It's even more fun with all the 289 numbers Cogeco is handing out for phone service.

There was also the fun time where I kept getting calls on my cell phone from some woman in Fort Erie who thought she was calling her husband's cell. His phone number was 289-321, mine was (and to this day still is) 905-321 and the woman kept dialing 905 instead of 289. She couldn't wrap her head around it despite telling her repeatedly.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by Gone:

said by Last Parade:

It's even more fun with all the 289 numbers Cogeco is handing out for phone service.

There was also the fun time where I kept getting calls on my cell phone from some woman in Fort Erie who thought she was calling her husband's cell. His phone number was 289-321, mine was (and to this day still is) 905-321 and the woman kept dialing 905 instead of 289. She couldn't wrap her head around it despite telling her repeatedly.

She is just stupid in my books. I have the same thing with my email. I keep getting purchase offers from one real estate broker after telling them over and over. Since they copy their clients on it, I told them the next time I am going to actually let the client know they are sending this out and I will forward it to TREB. I will see if that makes a difference.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I would have never called her outright stupid. I just laughed it off as someone who was old enough to probably have kept dialing 416 when we changed to 905, too.

Some of the calls were funny. One time she just went off on how he had to buy spam and toilet paper on the way home. No hello or anything, just from the moment I said hello she started. I mean... spam?

Gershom 1624
@optonline.net

Gershom 1624 to Gone

Anon

to Gone
said by Gone:

Because you do know what [his] phone number is, you could call him yourself and explain this to him.

I bet she won't forget after that.