uniqs
share rss forum feed

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
kudos:1
reply to Quickguide01

Re: Linksys Router Wireless Signal Not Strong Enough

Yes, play with the channels there might be some overcrowding. You may have success, you may not. If you want to increase the range you have a few different options. You can replace the stock antennas on the 54G with high gain antennas. When I had that router I purchased Linksys +7dbi antennas, but I’ve seen aftermarket ones rated at +9dbi. Look for antennas with TNC connectors. I see they’re pretty cheap now, I paid like $70 for a pair way back when, now they’re $15 or less. You could also flash the router and replace the factory Linksys firmware with third party firmware, that allows you to boost the power output of the antennas. Doing that will cause the router to use more electricity and therefore cause it to run hot to the touch but it shouldn’t blow it up. Whatever the maximum power output setting option was on the old Sveasoft firmware years ago, I maxed it out and never had an issue.

Another other option would be if you have gear that is Wireless N and operates on the 5 GHz frequency, upgrade your router to something newer and run your stuff on that as opposed to 2.4 where it is much less crowded.
--
Dale Jr, Riding Daddys Coattails Since February 18, 2001!