All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

D P
join:2000-07-30

D P

[Business] SMCD3G - New Firmware - 3.1.6.53 / IPV6

Had an outage this afternoon (in Folsom, CA) and coincidentally a new firmware was downloaded. Not sure on the reason for the outage, but I imagine this new firmware is made available to allow us to get one step closer to getting IPV6 on the Business class SMCD3G modem.

The only downside I've noticed on this firmware so far is the fact that I've lost ~5Mbps on my upload speed. Hopefully it is a temporary glitch.

noc007
join:2002-06-18
Cumming, GA

noc007

I appreciate their effort in bringing IPv6, but not at the cost of bringing it down during work hours. I've got a backup connection, but it's not as fast and would impede work.

At least the service hasn't been as bad as AT&T's shoddy Metro-E service where they brought everything down at least once a month in the middle of the day for at least two hours.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to D P

MVM

to D P
said by D P:

Had an outage this afternoon (in Folsom, CA) and coincidentally a new firmware was downloaded. Not sure on the reason for the outage, but I imagine this new firmware is made available to allow us to get one step closer to getting IPV6 on the Business class SMCD3G modem.

The only downside I've noticed on this firmware so far is the fact that I've lost ~5Mbps on my upload speed. Hopefully it is a temporary glitch.

Hmm, I'm in El Dorado Hills and we don't have IPv6 here I don't think. The CMTS you're on in Folsom must not be a Cisco 10k. The Placerville CMTS is a Cisco I believe, which afaik still doesn't do IPv6

redbeard916
join:2011-02-23
Folsom, CA

redbeard916

im in folsom and had an outage as well man. but im not on a smcd3g modem. weird

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

1 edit

ropeguru to D P

Premium Member

to D P
And the IPv6 trials will be starting soon I hope..

Edit: Wonder if the outage was a coincidence and upon coming back up the new firmware downloaded.

Edit2: Power cycled mine and no update here yet.

D P

D P to noc007

to noc007
I agree with your statement, and I've learned to have a backup connection ready to go in case of outages like this, which have occurred during business hours.
D P

D P to pflog

to pflog
The Folsom CMTS was changed from a Motorola one to Cisco in early Q1 of 2012, for me it helped in resolving a speed issue which I was told required that change at that time.

As for IPV6, although the firmware is there, I don't think the Cisco CMTS is ready yet, as my modem did not receive an IPV6 address.

I should also note, the speed test was on a IPV4 connection, and it has impacted my upload speed.

ropeguru
Premium Member
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

What speed package are you on?

D P

D P

Deluxe, 50/10 Mbps

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to ropeguru

Premium Member

to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

And the IPv6 trials will be starting soon I hope..

Soon, once I can publicly post more I will..

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to D P

MVM

to D P
said by D P:

The Folsom CMTS was changed from a Motorola one to Cisco in early Q1 of 2012, for me it helped in resolving a speed issue which I was told required that change at that time.

As for IPV6, although the firmware is there, I don't think the Cisco CMTS is ready yet, as my modem did not receive an IPV6 address.

I should also note, the speed test was on a IPV4 connection, and it has impacted my upload speed.

Ahh that makes sense. I didn't look closely enough at your screenshot to see that it was ipv6 ready but not pulling an address good to know they're pushing an updated firmware !

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to noc007

Premium Member

to noc007
said by noc007:

I appreciate their effort in bringing IPv6, but not at the cost of bringing it down during work hours.

Just an FYI, when new firmware is pushed it is pushed to the local servers. When your device resets the bootfile tells the device to pull and install the new firmware. The key is when the device resets or gets a T4 timeout, so an outage on the network would cause the device to pull the new firmware. So not at the cost of down time during working hours. Just trying to say no one wants down time for the customers..

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by NetDog:

said by noc007:

I appreciate their effort in bringing IPv6, but not at the cost of bringing it down during work hours.

Just an FYI, when new firmware is pushed it is pushed to the local servers. When your device resets the bootfile tells the device to pull and install the new firmware. The key is when the device resets or gets a T4 timeout, so an outage on the network would cause the device to pull the new firmware. So not at the cost of down time during working hours. Just trying to say no one wants down time for the customers..

Thanks for the clarification We know (especially for business class) an unnecessary outage is not something you guys typically do. Good to hear the precise way in which this is pushed though!

redbeard916
join:2011-02-23
Folsom, CA

redbeard916

Why would my sb6121 have gone offline and rebooted if it didn't need a firmware upgrade like that smcd3g did. Doesn't make sense to me

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by redbeard916:

Why would my sb6121 have gone offline and rebooted if it didn't need a firmware upgrade like that smcd3g did. Doesn't make sense to me

They do have planned maintenance, which usually occurs in the early morning between 1 and 3 am. They have to be able to reboot/maintain the equipment, so it happens occasionally. I think NetDog See Profile was just pointing out that they do not disconnect people just for firmware updates (unless there's a major issue with firmware and they need to push updates).

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to D P

Premium Member

to D P
said by D P:

Question so you had poor upstream throughput? Can you redo your speedtest same it as 53_code, reboot your modem run a second speedtest same it as 47_code. I will be forwarding this info to the team that deals with the model and firmware.

The .53 code has been pulled back, once you reset your modem it will downgrade (or should) to the .47 code. But if you dont mind getting the before and after speedtests please.

D P

D P

Correct, 3.1.6.53 introduced a degraded upstream performance for me.

As requested I've rebooted the modem, and it did change firmware, but it broke the login and I can't confirm what the firmware changed to. But my upload speed is back to normal.

I've included speed tests with firmware 3.1.6.53, and the one that it has reverted to now.

I also posted earlier to the Direct Forum, requesting for assistance, and my information is listed in the post in case you would like to contact me directly.

With the exception of the login issue, my connection appears to be back to normal.

ropeguru
Premium Member
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

Same thing happened a couple of years ago with the login when they had to revert back to a previous firmware. It can be fixed.

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to D P

Premium Member

to D P
said by D P:

Correct, 3.1.6.53 introduced a degraded upstream performance for me.

If anyone contacts you on the Direct Forum re-point them here.. This is the data I needed and I forwarded onto the correct team that deals with the firmware and modems.

underattack
Join Dshield.Org
join:2003-06-23

underattack to D P

to D P
After getting this firmware update, my modem had very poor performance. if you run into this, make sure "Disable Gateway Smart Packet Detection" is checked in your SMC modem firewall configuration.
underattack

underattack

and now with the modem ready, how do I get an IPv6 subnet (/60 or larger).

ropeguru
Premium Member
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to underattack

Premium Member

to underattack
Do you still have the newest firmware and are you getting your full speeds? What speed tier are you on?

D P

D P to underattack

to underattack
Thanks, I've always had "Disable Gateway Smart Packet Detection" checked, and still had the poor upload issue.
D P

D P to ropeguru

to ropeguru
Good memory, I did end up calling and had them reset the password. It's interesting that reverting to 1.4.0.49.7-CCR seems to break the login every time.

underattack
Join Dshield.Org

underattack to ropeguru

to ropeguru
I still have Firmware 3.1.6.53 (my hardware version is 1.01 got the modem about 6 months ago).

I do have 25/5 MBit and usually get a bit above 30 MBit down and maybe 5-7MBit up.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by underattack:

I still have Firmware 3.1.6.53 (my hardware version is 1.01 got the modem about 6 months ago).

I do have 25/5 MBit and usually get a bit above 30 MBit down and maybe 5-7MBit up.

Wait what? do you have the old 22/5 or the new 27/7? There is no 25/5 business class profile. Sounds like you're on 27/7 with the capped PB if I had to guess.

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to underattack

Premium Member

to underattack
said by underattack:

and now with the modem ready, how do I get an IPv6 subnet (/60 or larger).

I know you hate the line "we are working on it', but really we are.. really close now..

underattack
Join Dshield.Org

underattack

NetDog: thanks he.net's tunnel is getting old

pflog: it is 27/7. Either way: I get the speed I am supposed to get

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to underattack

Premium Member

to underattack
said by underattack:

Can you run the same test, check firmware, do a speedtest, reboot, check firmware again, speedtest and post the data. If you have the same issues please PM me your RF MAC. We are tracking the users that are having upstream issues with the .53 code.

underattack
Join Dshield.Org

underattack

My speed or firmware version didn't change after the reboot. I am not having an issue with the .53 firmware after the "Disable Gateway Smart Packet Detection" setting got checked.