Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

underattack
Join Dshield.Org

join:2003-06-23
reply to underattack

Re: [Business] SMCD3G - New Firmware - 3.1.6.53 / IPV6

and now with the modem ready, how do I get an IPv6 subnet (/60 or larger).

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to underattack
Do you still have the newest firmware and are you getting your full speeds? What speed tier are you on?

A T

join:2000-07-30
reply to underattack
Thanks, I've always had "Disable Gateway Smart Packet Detection" checked, and still had the poor upload issue.

A T

reply to ropeguru
Good memory, I did end up calling and had them reset the password. It's interesting that reverting to 1.4.0.49.7-CCR seems to break the login every time.

underattack
Join Dshield.Org

reply to ropeguru
I still have Firmware 3.1.6.53 (my hardware version is 1.01 got the modem about 6 months ago).

I do have 25/5 MBit and usually get a bit above 30 MBit down and maybe 5-7MBit up.
--
----DShield.org make the net a safer place.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3
said by underattack:

I still have Firmware 3.1.6.53 (my hardware version is 1.01 got the modem about 6 months ago).

I do have 25/5 MBit and usually get a bit above 30 MBit down and maybe 5-7MBit up.

Wait what? do you have the old 22/5 or the new 27/7? There is no 25/5 business class profile. Sounds like you're on 27/7 with the capped PB if I had to guess.
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:80
reply to underattack
said by underattack:

and now with the modem ready, how do I get an IPv6 subnet (/60 or larger).

I know you hate the line "we are working on it', but really we are.. really close now..

underattack
Join Dshield.Org

NetDog: thanks he.net's tunnel is getting old

pflog: it is 27/7. Either way: I get the speed I am supposed to get
--

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO
reply to underattack
said by underattack:

Can you run the same test, check firmware, do a speedtest, reboot, check firmware again, speedtest and post the data. If you have the same issues please PM me your RF MAC. We are tracking the users that are having upstream issues with the .53 code.

underattack
Join Dshield.Org

My speed or firmware version didn't change after the reboot. I am not having an issue with the .53 firmware after the "Disable Gateway Smart Packet Detection" setting got checked.
--

derekivey

join:2006-03-30
San Jose, CA
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to NetDog
Did all SMCD3G modems get the new firmware? Ours has been up for over 80 days. If I reset it will I get the new firmware? I wouldn't mind testing to see if we have the upload speed issue.

Edit: I just reset my modem and didn't get the update. I guess they either haven't deployed it to my area yet or removed it.

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to NetDog
Any updates on the firmware?

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO
reply to A T
Code was removed for now.. No updates other then that, we are still looking at this..

SpottedCat

join:2004-06-27
Miami, FL
reply to A T
Why has this been so problematic anyway? Is SMC just incompetent? Other Docsis3 CPE has been able to do IPv6 just fine for ages now.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by SpottedCat:

Why has this been so problematic anyway? Is SMC just incompetent? Other Docsis3 CPE has been able to do IPv6 just fine for ages now.

Other DOCSIS 3 gateways? I don't think that any of the Comcast approved gateway boxes (residential or business class) currently support IPv6 when in router/gateway mode. OTOH, even the SMCD3G-CCR will support IPv6 in bridge mode.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO
said by NetFixer:

said by SpottedCat:

Other DOCSIS 3 gateways? I don't think that any of the Comcast approved gateway boxes (residential or business class) currently support IPv6 when in router/gateway mode. OTOH, even the SMCD3G-CCR will support IPv6 in bridge mode.

Standard requirements say it needs to work, so if you put a static IPv6 address on both sides and can ping that works right? Well not really what about DHCPv6, DHCPv6-PD, or IA_PD options. I could go on, we have teams that double and triple check everything works before the code has approval from Comcast.

Once a new device is supported for IPv6 on the CPE and is pushed nationally to the field we update »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/ right away.

PS.. Gateways or eRouters are coming soon..

DrDeke

join:2004-05-18
Ypsilanti, MI
quote:
PS.. Gateways or eRouters are coming soon..
What is an eRouter?

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO
reply to A T
It is a cable modem with a router in one.. some people call it a gateway device others call it a eRouter.

»www.cablelabs.com/cablemodem/spe···ter.html

derekivey

San Jose, CA
reply to A T
Looks like Comcast rolled out version 3.1.6.54 to us this morning. Not yet pulling an IPv6 address though. I just did a speed test and we're still getting the full 50/10 speeds.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to NetDog
Any word on the Netgear Biz device IPv6 support? Not that it will work for me since I'm on a Cisco 10k, but just curious!
--

A T

reply to derekivey
Very good, I've not seen 3.1.6.54, but hopefully they've addressed the speed issue that I was experiencing. And I'll look forward to validating it once it is made available in my area.

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium
join:2002-06-10
Spring, TX
So.... Is Comcast Business in Texas just way behind???

My firmware on my SMC is 1.4.0.49.7-CCR
--
[nUll@dcypher ~]$

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 recommendation

said by XCOM:

So.... Is Comcast Business in Texas just way behind???

My firmware on my SMC is 1.4.0.49.7-CCR

Unless there is a major problem with an existing firmware, most Comcast Business firmware upgrades are "attrition" based, not force pushed. The means that you usually don't get the new firmware unless you reboot the gateway.

Besides that, in this case the new SMC firmware is for IPv6 compatibility which still is not going to work for the immediate future unless you are one of the customers who are in the beta test.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

A T

1 recommendation

reply to A T
I can now confirm 3.1.6.54 has appeared to fix the upstream speed issue that I had originally experienced with 3.1.6.53.

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to A T
Why the differences in the firmware? I have the same router as you and have the 1.4.0.49.7-CCR firmware.

Seems like a totally different firmware than what is loaded on yours.

A T

Not sure on the significance when the firmware numbers are jumping from 1.4.0.49.7 to 3.1.6.54 (my guess would be significant enough changes). But prior to today I was still on 1.4.0.49.7-CCR.

derekivey

San Jose, CA
reply to A T
Are any of you guys on the 3.1.6.54 firmware pulling IPv6 addresses yet? Still nothing here... I guess they haven't upgraded our CMTS yet.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
said by derekivey:

Are any of you guys on the 3.1.6.54 firmware pulling IPv6 addresses yet? Still nothing here... I guess they haven't upgraded our CMTS yet.

You're probably one of the lucky ones (like me ) on a Crapco Cisco 10k. I had heard "middle of the year" at one point, but then I heard "by the end of the year" for the 10ks. Sigh.
--

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to A T
Just reset my SMC here and no firmware upgrade here.

A T

reply to derekivey
No IPv6 addresses yet, as the CMTS serving my area is a Cisco one.