Sith HMP
I Did What?
Premium
join:2004-04-25
Bloomington, IL
kudos:1
reply to AtariBaby

Re: [Newsgroups] Making deal with Devil AKAComcast plus VPN ques

I have had Comcast for many years now and have never experienced this throttling you speak of. I get my full speeds even during peak hours. It doesn't seem to matter what I'm grabbing either. They do have the 250g monthly limit on residential accounts but for what ever reason that is suspended and not in effect at this time. I have no idea why that is or when it will be reinstated. My guess is they are taking in to account that everything is done online these days and are investigating a new limit or metered service rates. Just a guess though. I have nothing to back that up.

As far as support goes, it's hit and miss at best. I've been blessed with never having a real difficult issue. The one time I did have to have a tech come out he replaced a line and did some work on the pole and the issue was resolved. That was 4 years ago and haven't had any issues since. Maybe I'm just lucky. If you get a crappy phone tech just hang up and call again until one that knows something gets on the line. I know that's not reliable but it seems to be the norm for any service I have had. Comcast or not.

I'm no Comcast fanboy by far either. If there was something else besides Verizons DSL available in my area I would probably have it. I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to fiber in the home.

It is true(from what I have heard) that the business class service is better as far as speeds and support go though. This is just hearsay though of course. You pay for that service though.

I don't use a VPN yet. I'm also in the market, so to speak, so I am interested in what others will suggest.

Edit: You don't have to have TV service to get internet service through Comcast.

AtariBaby

join:2006-03-05
San Francisco, CA
@Sith HMP: Are you bittorrenting and/or Newsgrouping right now? Never got any hassles? Thinking of getting VPN as an anticipatory measure?

Sith HMP
I Did What?
Premium
join:2004-04-25
Bloomington, IL
kudos:1
Newsgroups mostly. I never really got in to the whole torrent thing. My son did when he lived with me and never complained.

As far as my newsgroup usage I would say I am a power user. I have exceeded the 250g limit quite a few times even when it was actually in effect. I have never heard a peep from Comcast.

I just want a VPN to play around with honestly. Any security after effects that may appear as a result I would just count as a bonus.

I just use SSL on port 563 when using Newsgroups and haven't ever had an issue or a need for any other security. To my knowledge any way.