how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

turbzy2

join:2011-09-17
Naperville, IL

Bonding question for WOW_Dan and others

Hi, so as I'm pondering upgrading to 50/5, I was wondering if there is any capability/option for getting two 50/5 plans and having them bonded to a single 100/10 pipe. I know I could just get two lines, but I would like to have the full speed available to a single TCP connection. Am I nuts or is this something that can be done?

SScorpio

join:2002-12-31
Canton, MI

TomatoUSB and DD-WRT both support setting up a DualWAN by using VLANs. You could also setup a PFSense router on some old hardware you have.

This isn't a basic feature where you select an option in the WebUI, but it can be done. I would recommend you get a quality router with a good CPU and a large amount of RAM to keep up, especially if you use QOS.

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?

join:2001-03-30
Brierfield, AL

said by SScorpio:

TomatoUSB and DD-WRT both support setting up a DualWAN by using VLANs. You could also setup a PFSense router on some old hardware you have.

This isn't a basic feature where you select an option in the WebUI, but it can be done. I would recommend you get a quality router with a good CPU and a large amount of RAM to keep up, especially if you use QOS.

While both of those do that, he said over a single tcp connection. Those routers 'shotgun' the outgoing connections, forcing the return connections back to the specific VLAN. So if you begin multiple connections (say, a download accelerator or BT), then it will work swell.

AFAIK, there is no way to do a single TCP connection. It's not like he can etherchannel or LACP from the CMTS down (even then, its based on source/dest MAC by default, so it will favor one connection over the other).
--
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.

Disclaimer: These are MY comments, my employer cant be held responsible.

smunro622
Premium
join:2006-02-15
Madison Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..
reply to turbzy2

i think the question would come down to will WOW allow for 2 internet services installed at the same location..

I know the hardware is possible as i have a dsl for work and i use wow for home internet. I just have a different gateway for my work laptop.

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?

join:2001-03-30
Brierfield, AL

said by smunro622:

i think the question would come down to will WOW allow for 2 internet services installed at the same location..

I know the hardware is possible as i have a dsl for work and i use wow for home internet. I just have a different gateway for my work laptop.

Well, if they don't, then that stinks. My old ISP allowed it, and Comcast does too. It's not like your getting services for free, you're still paying for the second line, so not sure why they wouldn't allow it.

Of course, that was before speeds got crazy fast.
--
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.

Disclaimer: These are MY comments, my employer cant be held responsible.

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI
reply to turbzy2

WOW doesn't allow for two connections like you are describing at one address. However, the speeds you are seeking may be available if you were to sign up for a business account.

nottrue

@wideopenwest.com

WOW does allow more than one modem on an account, you just have to pay for it. Also business doesnt go any faster than residential. WOW's highest speed is 50/5

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:30

I'm not 100% sure on the policies for multiple modems in a home, but if it's possible, you would obviously be paying the full price for both connections. You should contact customer service, or possibly a local sales representative to find out how to set this up.

Inflex

join:2002-09-05
reply to turbzy2

It can be done, but it's expensive. Look for posts in this forum, somebody setup a commercial grade router to do this. It was a long time ago and I can't remember his name. He's a VIP though.