Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

RAM 1500 Becomes Industry-First Half-Ton Diesel Pickup

»www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2013···kup.html

quote:
Recently emancipated and breaking new ground, Chrysler’s Ram pickup truck brand just announced that the RAM 1500 pickup truck will be available this year with a diesel V6.

When they arrive in the third quarter of 2013 as a 2014 model, it will be the first time a light-duty pickup truck is sold with a diesel engine.

“Truck owners have been emphatically asking for it, and Ram will be the only manufacturer to offer a diesel powertrain in the half-ton segment with the 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel,” said Ram CEO Fred Diaz.

About damn time they listened to light duty truck owners.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

H_T_R_N
Premium
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
So it took an Italian company to give Americans what they have been asking for for a number of years. A tad odd isn't it?

When buying light duty trucks I never really looked at the motor in it, cause I knew it would be yanked soon enough. 3/4 and up should all have squeeze boxes.

An 8 speed auto does not sound right for this app.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
I've always wondered at the lack of "love" that diesel engines got from American car manufacturers.

I currently own a 2005 Daodge Ram 1500 with the 4.7L V8 engine. I wasn't all that thrilled to learn the new model of Dodge Ram 1500 was only available with a V6.

But if they are added a diesel engine to the 1500 line, I might go for it in a few years [about 5 or 6]. As I was thinking my next truck would have to be a 2500 to get to engine a diesel.
Also 4 wheel drive. My current truck is 2 wheel drive, as I lived in GA at the time and didn't plan on going off road.
Now living in Ohio, a 4 wheel drive would be nice.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Snakeoil
Emissions was the reason for not having a diesel in the 1/2 ton, I believe its 6000lb that was a threshold for tighter requirements, It had nothing to do with US vs EU ownership.

Note sure if this is what Chrysler is bring out, but they have been working on getting a diesel for a while that could meet emissions, long before they we sold

»news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/03/ch···010.html

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

2 recommendations

reply to Snakeoil

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

I've always wondered at the lack of "love" that diesel engines got from American car manufacturers.

I think it is mostly because their early attempts were such abysmal failures that they poisoned the market mindset. Many people heard (or lived!) the horror stories of the infamous GM 350 "diesel", which was little more than a gas 350 with high compression heads and pistons. Broken crankshafts and main webs ripped from the block were common failures, from an engine that was loud, stinky, and weak on power.

It was really the advent of computer controls and effective turbocharging that brought life to the diesel pickup market. They are getting amazing power levels today, though mileage has suffered tremendously. When the Dodge/Cummins pickups first came out, every owner that I asked swore that they were getting 26-27 MPG. The ones I talk with these days say they get 15-16 MPG in normal driving and 9-10 MPG when towing. They can still pull high-altitude mountain passes WAY better than anything that is normally aspirated, but they aren't saving money on fuel anymore.

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL
reply to Snakeoil
I wonder why Dodge didn't opt for a 4cyl inline diesel??

MooJohn

join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to H_T_R_N
Snakeoil - Dodge has offered the Hemi v8 since 2003; the new models are not stuck with the v6 only. Besides, the new v6 makes just as much power as the old 4.7 and the extra gears make sure it uses it to the fullest. Doesn't the new Hemi claim like 24-25 mpg highway? I know my old 03 never saw better than 15

said by H_T_R_N:

An 8spd is ideal in this situation. It takes a limited-rpm engine (as diesels are) and greatly widens its gear selection so you always have the ideal ratio to use in any situation.
--
John M - Cranky network guy

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
isnt that one of the reasons a semi has like 30 gears?

As for dislike of diesel in the US, Part of it is emissions. people still commonly link diesel with city buses and dump trucks spewing black smoke.

You also have the issue of the fuel itself. I have rarely seen a diesel pump at a gas station. Well rarely since moving down here to south jersey, When i lived in CT and was right by the freeway every station had diesel with both car and truck nozzles.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

Emissions was the reason for not having a diesel in the 1/2 ton, I believe its 6000lb that was a threshold for tighter requirements, It had nothing to do with US vs EU ownership.

Note sure if this is what Chrysler is bring out, but they have been working on getting a diesel for a while that could meet emissions, long before they we sold

»news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/03/ch···010.html

Yup...

There were some pretty serious rumors of Ford putting a European 4.4 6cyl diesel in the F150 for the '12 or '13 model year; but word on the street is that emissions regs killed it; which is too bad - I'd have been all over it.

Good on Dodge - I'm not a fan of their interiors, I find them cramped, and the fit and finish isn't upto Chev or Ford, IMO - but this is a big step, and I like it!

I just got a '13 F150 with the 5.0 a couple months back - if they roll out a 1/2t diesel in '15 or '16, I'll be on it like a fat kid on a Smartie!

H_T_R_N
Premium
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to MooJohn
said by MooJohn:

Snakeoil - Dodge has offered the Hemi v8 since 2003; the new models are not stuck with the v6 only. Besides, the new v6 makes just as much power as the old 4.7 and the extra gears make sure it uses it to the fullest. Doesn't the new Hemi claim like 24-25 mpg highway? I know my old 03 never saw better than 15

said by H_T_R_N:

An 8spd is ideal in this situation. It takes a limited-rpm engine (as diesels are) and greatly widens its gear selection so you always have the ideal ratio to use in any situation.

Unless the tranny is greatly increased in size the gear size (physical not ratio) will need to be reduced greatly. That is what I was referring to. Yes more gears = better for a reduced RPM motor, but smaller parts under higher load and more shifting = not better if you really haul\tow.

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Doctor Olds
said by Doctor Olds:

Remember these?

(youtube clip)

I thought they were a 1.9L Isuzu diesel? They weren't very common around where I lived. Oh well can't remember... I do remember the 1.8L Chevette diesel option.

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4

1 edit
reply to Snakeoil
Send one my way please. It's about time 1/2 ton trucks get the option. You can get a damn Jetta with one, but not a 1/2 ton truck.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Doctor Olds
There was also a diesel Ford Ranger.
quote:
The Ranger was introduced in mid-1982 for the 1983 model year and had an available 4-cylinder 59 hp 2.2 L Mazda/Perkins diesel. In 1985, a Mitsubishi-built 2.3 L turbodiesel with 86 hp replaced the Mazda diesel engine. The diesels were no longer an option after 1987. These Rangers are rare now, but a few seem to be showing up now on ebay and other classifieds likely due to the high gas prices and need for better fuel economy.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

sailor
Premium
join:2003-10-21
Long Island
kudos:6

1 edit
reply to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

You also have the issue of the fuel itself. I have rarely seen a diesel pump at a gas station. Well rarely since moving down here to south jersey, When i lived in CT and was right by the freeway every station had diesel with both car and truck nozzles.

Since I don't own a diesel I haven't paid attention to the price of diesel at the gas station I use on a regular basis....but with that said, just yesterday while sitting at a light across the street from that gas station I happened to look at the prices on the sign by the street.....and damn if diesel wasn't at least 20 cents higher per gallon then regular unleaded. I say at least due to I know it was at least 20 cents higher but it might have been even 30 cents per gallon higher as I wasn't paying all that much attention to the prices...just enough to notice the much higher price.

I recall in days past diesel at the pumps cost less then regular gas but evidently no longer.....

GM recently announced the Chevy Cruze will be available with a diesel...a brand new clean running diesel that if I am not mistaken will be built in Germany.....

sailor
Premium
Long Island
reply to Snakeoil
Click for full size
After posting above I went to see pics of gas prices from that same gas station I had taken from time to time.

This is from May 2009 where diesel was lower.

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4
reply to sailor
Sometimes that whole supply and demand thing really messes stuff up. Diesel is less refined than gasoline, so from a production standpoint alone, it should be cheaper.

As for the Cruze diesel, are people really going to pay $26,000 for a compact car? They claim 42mpg. The gas powered version gets a claimed 36mpg and starts at about $17,000. Hard ti justify that price difference.
»www.autoblog.com/2013/02/07/2014···-25-695/

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium
join:2000-09-13
Belen, NM

1 recommendation

said by Lurch77:

Sometimes that whole supply and demand thing really messes stuff up. Diesel is less refined than gasoline, so from a production standpoint alone, it should be cheaper.

Diesel fuel is all the junk left over after refining crude into gasoline. But the main reason diesel fuel is more expensive than gasoline now is because of the regulation requiring ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel) to be used in all on-road diesel engines from December 1, 2010 onwards. ULSD is required for marine diesel engines starting in 2014 and for locomotives starting in 2015.
--
I'll be stretching out the rhyme like gravity stretches time.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
Diesel also competes for refinery time with its cousin, #2 heating oil. #2 oil is exactly the same as diesel but since it has red dye and is not taxed it cannot be shared with what goes in cars.(if the cops caught you running red in a car it is big trouble, THankfully unlike a semi they have no way to dip a car tank.)

Anyway this is why sometimes Diesel spikes up in price in the late summer months, The refineries and processing plants have shifted to building up stores of heating oil to ship to New England where it is the primary heating fuel.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

sailor
Premium
Long Island
said by Kearnstd:

Diesel also competes for refinery time with its cousin, #2 heating oil. #2 oil is exactly the same as diesel but since it has red dye and is not taxed it cannot be shared with what goes in cars.(if the cops caught you running red in a car it is big trouble, THankfully unlike a semi they have no way to dip a car tank.)

Anyway this is why sometimes Diesel spikes up in price in the late summer months, The refineries and processing plants have shifted to building up stores of heating oil to ship to New England where it is the primary heating fuel.

A few days ago I had my #2 fuel oil delivery as it is what I heat my home with....180.9 gallons @ $3.94....so yes, close to what diesel at the pumps currently is at locally.

sailor
Premium
Long Island
reply to Snakeoil
I'm of the opinion that if Chrysler offered a diesel in the Wrangler there would be a pre-order list a mile long.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

»www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2013···kup.html

quote:
Recently emancipated and breaking new ground, Chrysler’s Ram pickup truck brand just announced that the RAM 1500 pickup truck will be available this year with a diesel V6.

When they arrive in the third quarter of 2013 as a 2014 model, it will be the first time a light-duty pickup truck is sold with a diesel engine.

“Truck owners have been emphatically asking for it, and Ram will be the only manufacturer to offer a diesel powertrain in the half-ton segment with the 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel,” said Ram CEO Fred Diaz.

About damn time they listened to light duty truck owners.

At one point I had a (RWD) F250 diesel, but the fuel prices got to be so much more than gas (30 cents compared to regular) that it was beyond not worth it when I'm putting in 50-100 gallons. Traded it in for a car. With the price of gas today, as has been mentioned, it's curious timing. I know truck owners love diesels, but the cost for gas is so high. I'm looking at $3.65/gal for regular and $4.15 for diesel ($.50/gal difference).

sailor
Premium
Long Island
reply to Snakeoil
Offer a diesel in the Wrangler and Chrysler would have a pre-order waiting list a mile long.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
From what I have read, they are considering one for the wrangler. Though it might depend on how well the Cherokee with a diesel engine sells.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to sk1939
My understanding is the diesels get a higher MPG then gas, though that may have changed with the new generation of engines and environmental requirements.

But also, Diesels have a longer maintenance interval then gasoline engines. For example instead of every 3k for an oil change you can go 5k in a diesel.
--

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
said by Snakeoil:

My understanding is the diesels get a higher MPG then gas, though that may have changed with the new generation of engines and environmental requirements.

But also, Diesels have a longer maintenance interval then gasoline engines. For example instead of every 3k for an oil change you can go 5k in a diesel.

That used to be true for gas mileage I know, but then they started adding things like turbochargers and such. The current engines are far more powerful than they used to be, but are less fuel efficient. I still laugh when I see the kids with the diesel trucks flooring it like it's going to take off like a rocket. Trucks are geared for power, not speed.

That has changed as well, I know that for Nissan the oil change interval is something like 6000 miles. The first service doesn't even occur to 7000. Diesels are simpler to work on though from what I hear (even if you do need a block heater).

sailor
Premium
Long Island
reply to Snakeoil
Here's some info on the diesel GM will be offering in the Chevy Cruz
___

It finally becomes reality Summer 2013. That’s when the Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel hits the road running as the first clean diesel car ever produced by a U.S. automaker. It will have a starting MSRP of $24,885†.

Clean diesels generate at least 90% less Nitrogen Oxide (NOx) and particulate emissions when compared to previous-generation diesels.

It all starts with a 2.0L turbocharged clean diesel engine designed in Italy, built in Germany and installed in the Cruze at our factory in Lordstown, Ohio. The 2014 Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel comes equipped with the very latest clean diesel technology which helps reduce emissions while also boasting 148 horsepower and 258 lb.-ft. of “low-end” torque† that you’ll have to experience to believe.

»www.chevrolet.com/cruze-diesel-reveal.html

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
kudos:2
reply to Snakeoil
I've been driving a Diesel VW New Beetle since March 2003 and I love it. I wish the diesel option was available on other lines as well. I would really love it in a small truck (re- Ford Ranger class) as well - it would be enough for me to seriously consider it.

BTW - My oil change intreval is 10,000 miles - not just 6000. Since I replaced the 4 speed automatic transmission with a 5 speed manual, my MPG hovers around 44 MPG - with an engine that currently has 286,000 miles on it (I'm going for at lest 500,000 miles before I get rid of this car).

There's lots to love and not much to not love about a modern, turbocharged diesel engine.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
said by scooper:

I've been driving a Diesel VW New Beetle since March 2003 and I love it. I wish the diesel option was available on other lines as well. I would really love it in a small truck (re- Ford Ranger class) as well - it would be enough for me to seriously consider it.

BTW - My oil change intreval is 10,000 miles - not just 6000. Since I replaced the 4 speed automatic transmission with a 5 speed manual, my MPG hovers around 44 MPG - with an engine that currently has 286,000 miles on it (I'm going for at lest 500,000 miles before I get rid of this car).

There's lots to love and not much to not love about a modern, turbocharged diesel engine.

Other than top speed.

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
kudos:2
said by sk1939 See Profile
Other than top speed.
[/BQUOTE :

You might be surprised..