join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Android dominated smartphone sales in 2012

quote:
(CNN) -- Android continues to dominate in the battle to be the top smartphone system in the world, thanks in part to Samsung, which reigned as the top phone manufacturer for 2012.
»www.cnn.com/2013/02/14/t ··· pt=hp_t3

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2

MVM

Pretty decent article where they acknowledged that android dominated based on the wide variety of models and price-points, which is absolutely correct.

Based on the numbers, Android and IOS are both in comfortable positions, with Blackberry and Windows trying to break into (or back into) being contenders.

If Blackberry finally has got a winning smartphone OS, I think that they can still potentially re-emerge due to their past popularity with Fortune 500 companies. I know nothing of their newest offering however.

I think that Windows phones will have the toughest road to success, because they never were a force in the cell phone market, and with IOS and Android so firmly entrenched, it would seem difficult to imagine large numbers of customers taking the leap of faith...especially considering that there are few/no lower-cost entry level Windows phones to break the ice.

Despite a major advertizing blitz, the MS Surface Tablets have not made the great splash that was anticipated. The smartphone/tablet market has matured a good deal already, and MS may have come to the party a bit too late.