share rss forum feed

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

NASA TV to show Asteroid Flyby / Russia has fireballs

Nasa TV will be streaming live pictures of the flyby today starting at 2pm EST (11AM PST). Likely it will be a dim black and white image with a small fussy little dot moving against more white dots.

And if that isn't exiting enough, there are some lovely pictures and video coming out of Russia showing at least one, possible more meteors streaming across the sky. There are reports that 500 people are injured from breaking glass caused by a series of sonic booms as the rock passed by. This event is unrelated to today's flyby.

NASA TV Link
»www.ustream.tv/nasajpl2

BBC story and video of Russia event:
»www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21468116

Edited for links

I_H8_Spam

join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON

1 edit
If it's unrelated it sure has terrible timing, I'm wagering there is more people then groundhogs spending the day underground today.

Jeezus, the reactions are amazing; if such an event occurred in the States people would be panicking, claiming terrorism, or thinking its WW3.

Video's of this boom.

»www.russianmachineneverbreaks.co···yabinsk/

Holy mother of lord, after pictures:

»imgur.com/a/rM7FI

--
AFK: Attack, fight, kill!! The healer is telling you to go pull mobs.
WTF: Way to fight! The healer is applauding your tactical genius

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to Thane_Bitter
Will Bruce Willis save us?

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
reply to Thane_Bitter
Article from National Post on the Russian event:»news.nationalpost.com/2013/02/15···-crater/

yupislyr

join:2002-07-17
Windsor, ON
reply to Thane_Bitter
I haven't seen any analysis published of the probable orbit of today's object in Russia yet but they could indeed be related. They could've been both part of the same parent body in orbits past.

Chances are more likely that it's indeed a coincidence though.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by yupislyr:

I haven't seen any analysis published of the probable orbit of today's object in Russia yet but they could indeed be related. They could've been both part of the same parent body in orbits past.

Chances are more likely that it's indeed a coincidence though.

NASA tweeted that they were on a very different path and not related.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to Thane_Bitter
If all it did was break some windows and shake up some buildings they got off easy. The Tunguska event in 1908 was the equivalent of a 15MT nuke.

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON
Looks like they can make definitive proof, the meteor did impact and they'll surely be able to recover and determine if the meteorite is of similar composition.

»i.imgur.com/4dtHHNu.jpg
--

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

If all it did was break some windows and shake up some buildings they got off easy. The Tunguska event in 1908 was the equivalent of a 15MT nuke.

It done blowed up real good Good thing it was in a very unpopulated area. It would have been a nightmare in a city.

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON
said by donoreo:

It done blowed up real good Good thing it was in a very unpopulated area. It would have been a nightmare in a city. vaporized.

Tunguska over a city in 1908 would have change the world as we know it.

--

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by I_H8_Spam:

said by donoreo:

It done blowed up real good Good thing it was in a very unpopulated area. It would have been a nightmare in a city. vaporized.

Tunguska over a city in 1908 would have change the world as we know it.

For sure. All sorts of things would be different, buidling codes, preparedness, etc would have changed right away and though would be relaxed over the years many changes would still be with us.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by donoreo:

For sure. All sorts of things would be different, buidling codes, preparedness, etc would have changed right away and though would be relaxed over the years many changes would still be with us.

There's really nothing you can do to prepare for something that big. The area would be vaporized no matter how well built it was. Having said that, it probably would have accelerated the space race and resulted in a huge emphasis on meteor monitoring and early warning to an exponential level beyond what it already did.

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON
reply to donoreo
Think people as well. A 1908 NYC, London, heck Berlin, Tokyo, Sydney, LA. I for one am hoping that anyone involved in the Pentium FDIV bug are anywhere near the calculations assuring us this is gonna pass.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

said by donoreo:

There's really nothing you can do to prepare for something that big. The area would be vaporized no matter how well built it was. Having said that, it probably would have accelerated the space race and resulted in a huge emphasis on meteor monitoring and early warning to an exponential level beyond what it already did.

I know, but people would have felt compelled to do something.
--

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON
reply to Thane_Bitter
Whackjobs are out in force

US tested new weapon, no meteor in Chelyabinsk – Russian LibDem leader - 2nd on google news
»rt.com/politics/zhirinovsky-mete···pon-316/
--

ruddypict

join:2010-03-24
kudos:2
said by I_H8_Spam:

US tested new weapon, no meteor in Chelyabinsk – Russian LibDem leader - 2nd on google news

Wow no kidding. I read some previous statements Zhirinovsky made. He's like the Russian version of Alex Jones.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by ruddypict:

said by I_H8_Spam:

Wow no kidding. I read some previous statements Zhirinovsky made. He's like the Russian version of Alex Jones.

Are we all supposed to know who Alex Jones is?
--

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON
said by donoreo:

said by ruddypict:

said by I_H8_Spam:

Are we all supposed to know who Alex Jones is?

TIL about Alex Jones.
--

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by I_H8_Spam:

TIL about Alex Jones.

I just had to google what the hell TIL meant.

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON
TIL about TIL. lol

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON
reply to Thane_Bitter

»youtu.be/zJ-Y7vhS1JE

great distance view of the event. --Embedding must be down.

This video is hilarious. Woman's voice (slightly excited): "What was that?" Man's voice (completely indifferent): "A star. Did you make a wish?"
--

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
said by I_H8_Spam:

»youtu.be/zJ-Y7vhS1JE

great distance view of the event. --Embedding must be down.

embedding isn't down, you just can't use the youtu.be url format.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ-Y7vhS1JE

--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

alexpb1

join:2005-06-23
Barrie, ON
reply to Thane_Bitter

Bender2000
Bite My Shiny Metal Ass
Premium
join:2002-05-06
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, QC
reply to I_H8_Spam
it will likely pass. They didn't mention a damn thing to warn anyone of the meteorite that hit Russia, but I'm guessing they knew about it before it happened. After all they are pretty sure that the one about to pass and the one in Russia are unrelated. Fact is, if they could determine a large meteor impact was going to occur, and knew that there was nothing they could do, they would carry on without even telling us. What would the point of telling us be anyways? Since they are telling us this one won't hit, it's not going to hit.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to alexpb1
said by alexpb1:

There's lots of interesting videos going around.

Wow that dude near the window got hit good.

booj

join:2011-02-07
Richmond, ON
reply to Bender2000
said by Bender2000:

it will likely pass. They didn't mention a damn thing to warn anyone of the meteorite that hit Russia, but I'm guessing they knew about it before it happened. After all they are pretty sure that the one about to pass and the one in Russia are unrelated. Fact is, if they could determine a large meteor impact was going to occur, and knew that there was nothing they could do, they would carry on without even telling us. What would the point of telling us be anyways? Since they are telling us this one won't hit, it's not going to hit.

As someone who works in the space surveillance industry I'll take this opportunity to say that your musings are a bit far fetched.

A meteor the size of the one that hit Russia this morning is impossible to detect soon before impact. At best we could see it a few hours before impact, if someone happened to be looking in the right direction. This little guy would have been practicably invisible during most of its orbit, about as bright as the galactic background. We just couldn't see it coming. It's possible it made a blip on some space tracking radars minutes before impact, but I'm not sure if any kind of notice could have been sent out since it takes some time to figure out what the trajectory is. Most such radars are over North America and not Russia though.

The other asteroid that is making a close approach today is much larger, and therefore could be detected years in advance.

As for whether 'they' would tell us or not... yes I should hope so. Public Safety Canada does actually get notices of such events (if they exist) and would inform the public if there is danger. Usually they get notices of falling space junk over Canada and if there is any safety risk (very rare) they would notify the public.

alexpb1

join:2005-06-23
Barrie, ON
reply to Thane_Bitter
This one is pretty interesting. This was caused by meteor debris. Apparently there were multiple impact sites.

Bender2000
Bite My Shiny Metal Ass
Premium
join:2002-05-06
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, QC
reply to booj
I can understand what you're saying that the one in Russia was probably too small to detect, but I'm skeptical that they can be certain enough that it is definitely not related to the much larger one that just passed. Call me cynical perhaps, but I very much doubt anything the size of let's say...extinction level or continent anihilation level would be forewarned. It would only cause widespread panic in the lead up to impact. If they were wrong, and it missed, there'd be quite a mess to clean up afterwards. 5 days on a powerless cruise ship turns people into nutjobs. Imagine people being told an asteriod is coming that will wipe out north america and there's not a damned thing we can do about it. The government keeps lots of secrets, I'm sure that would be one of them.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by Bender2000:

Call me cynical perhaps, but I very much doubt anything the size of let's say...extinction level or continent anihilation level would be forewarned.

... you mean like the one that's about to pass close to the earth, that we've known about for a very long time, long enough to prepare a deflection plan if it was on a collision course?

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to Thane_Bitter
So the asteroid that was not a threat to hit Earth doesn't hit Earth.